UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mistyblue23 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75700  
Subject: minimum retirement distributions Date: 3/23/2000 9:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
How do you calculate minimum retirement distributions from retirement accounts after age 70 1/2 from Ira and Keough Accounts. Also is it perferable to transfer all monies from Keough Accounts into Ira Account, and just take distributions from the one account.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20437 of 75700
Subject: Re: minimum retirement distributions Date: 3/23/2000 10:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Greetings, Mistyblue33, and welcome. You asked:

<<How do you calculate minimum retirement distributions from retirement accounts after age 70 1/2 from Ira and Keough Accounts. Also is it perferable to transfer all monies from Keough Accounts into Ira Account, and just take distributions from the one account.>>

The methodology for calculating MRD is spelled out in IRS Publication 590 (Individual Retirement Arrangements). You can download that pub at http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/prod/forms_pubs/index.html.

It might make it easier to consolidate your Keogh and IRA in the IRA alone, but you don't have to do that.

Regards..Pixy

Author: jrr7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20439 of 75700
Subject: Re: minimum retirement distributions Date: 3/23/2000 10:29 AM
It might make it easier to consolidate your Keogh and IRA in the IRA alone, but you don't have to do that.

In fact, you might not want to: you can choose different withdrawal schedules for each of the accounts, the result being you have more control over how soon your money is taxed and then handed to you.

Author: lectic One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20455 of 75700
Subject: Re: minimum retirement distributions Date: 3/23/2000 2:17 PM
This is one of the trickiest areas in what is known as "wealth transfer". Once you reach the magic 70 1/2 mark you make a choice, to recalcualte or not. Some advisers suggest in a husband / wife situation that the husband make the election to recalculate with the wife as primary beneficiary. Wife does not elect. Why? Because upon the death of the owner of the IRA (and the subsequent death of the wife if she elects to recalculate) there can be no more recalculation and the tax-deferred asset will be brought into income quite quickly. With wife as beneficary who didn't elect she gets another crack. Some advisers will then break the remaining IRA into separate IRAs with each child as beneficiary of each respective chunk which allows them to further defer after Mom's death. Again, this is very exotic, but very important stuff. Being able to keep the tax deferral going for extra years into the next generation can be very valuable.

Another problem regarding tax-deferred assets is the fact that they will not only be subject to eventual income tax, they will also be subject to estate tax at some time if the total estate is large enough. Far too many people think that $2,000,000 in a rollover IRA means they will leave their heirs $2,000,000. Not so. This kind of asset, without proper planning can take a 75% or better haircut between estate and income taxes. Word to the Foolish - if you have numbers that may approach these see an estate planner pronto!

Author: ez2bhard Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20471 of 75700
Subject: Re: minimum retirement distributions Date: 3/23/2000 9:31 PM

mistyblue

I agree with lectic, making a Mandatory Minimum Distribution (MMD) election on an IRA is an EXTREMELY important decision. The election is IRREVOCABLE and has major tax and estate implications.

I strongly recommend you talk with someone who is well versed in this area.

ez

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement