UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: piz Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75825  
Subject: Re: Excess contributions to a Roth Date: 12/2/1998 4:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
minnat wrote:
How do you remove the excess? Suppose you start a Roth in January and then make too much money that year to be eligible (happy days!). Do you back out the contribution + whatever gain you have made on it into some other account? Do you have to sell whatever you invested it in to do that?

What you describe is similar to what I'm experiencing, although different than the original post's situation. The answer is yes, you can back out your excess contributions, plus the gains on them, selling whatever you want to until you have enough cash to withdraw the correct amount (remember, except in the case of rollovers or transfers all assets going into or out of an IRA must be in the form of cash). There is a formula for doing this, and all the rules and the whole procedure is outlined in IRS Pub. 590, available for viewing on-line at the IRS web site.

The contributions that you back out are treated as if you had never made them (i.e. for a traditional IRA you can't deduct them on your tax return - for a Roth nothing happens). You will have to pay tax on the gains, however, and Pub. 590 tells you how to do that.

You might want to see my post on the Tax Strategies board, although my situation is more complicated than this one, and what I want to do is rather confusing, though perfectly legal. This situation corresponds roughly to Part One of my problem. The post is http://boards.fool.com/registered/Message.asp?id=1040014002142007

The possibility of having to back out is why I will never again make contributions prior to figuring my taxes. I used to make regular monthly contributions. Now I'll just save up cash over the course of the year, then contribute the max I'm permitted all at once.

Piz
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement