Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: patchdodd Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 39817  
Subject: Miracles Date: 8/11/2003 7:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 14
At the bottom of South Bowl at Caberfae ski resort near Manton Michigan. That's where I was when I heard that the U.S. beat the Russians in the 1980 Olympics. This was a team of unknown amateurs and semi-pros taking on an elite professional team full of future Hall of Famers.

This was Mike Eruzione against Sergey Makarov. This was Jim Craig against Vladislav Tretiak. This was Herb Brooks against Viktor Tikhonov. This was the USA versus Russia at the height of the cold war, and at the height of national malaise. Mister Brooks convinced his team, a team that had lost to the Russians 10-3 a couple of weeks earlier in an exhibition, that this was their time and this was their game.

So there I was at the bottom of this ski slope. Back in 1980 the Olympics were only televised in prime time which was a damn shame, but I don't think we could have been any higher driving home to dinner and a delayed broadcast. Brooks somehow kept the team together to beat a tough Finnish team a couple of days later and whaddya know. Gold medal to the seventh seeded team in what was really a four team tournament.

Rest easy Mister Brooks. The nation remains grateful and what you accomplished will remain in the national consciousness for the next 100 years.

Do you believe in miracles?

I do.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Netflix Riles Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement