UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: MirKatze Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6270  
Subject: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/22/2000 10:23 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 19
Hello fellow snow-lovers!

On The Hill

What makes a perfect weekend of skiing? Run after run of powder? Skiing in trees? Sunny weather? No lift lines? Really good friends? Skiing well enough to feel prideful about it - even if the mogul runs are really soft and easy?

I had all that and more at Mary Jane. What a great, great place! The snow conditions are so far better than anywhere else I've been this season. There's simply no comparison. Going from hard packed man-made groomer runs to wide open all natural tree skiing is like waking up in heaven. Mary Jane had her earliest opening ever this year and it was just incredible.

One warning - take your rock skis and watch out! At this point actually, I would wait for the next dump to freshen things up again. I have to apologize for making a mess of the snow, but I really couldn't help myself.

I wasn't able to see Warren Miller's new Ride movie, but I know a couple of guys who went on Friday night to the Paramount. Very cool venue. The movie lived up to expectations, with Warren Miller and his son Kurt each doing part of the dialog. This is the 51st annual ski movie done by Warren Miller (www.warrenmiller.com). It gives me confidence that I'll be skiing and having fun on the mountain for many years to come. On the younger side, Barrett Christy, snowboarder girl extraordinaire, was filmed on a heli-trip in the North Cascades. The Windows area at Keystone was also filmed. I have looked at the trail map repeatedly and ridden over that area in the gondola so many times and have yet to ski it. It seems to be gated off every time I try, but this year I'll get in there.

Favorite Person of the Week

My favorite person of the week is my weatherman, excuse me, meteorologist, John Henz. He sets himself above the rest in a couple of ways. First of all, he explains the weather to me in words that I can understand and enjoy. Second, he actually sticks his neck out and makes snow forecasts for five days in advance. Better yet, he splits his forecasts up into separate areas for northern, central, and southern Colorado. I promise you'll love his website: http://www.hmsweather.com/Snowcast1.htm.

Chatter – Snowfall

First it was La Nina. Then it was El Nino. Hopefully we are on to El Primo and La Prima (cousins) now. The snow is looking really good this year. It gets me wondering though, if not what to expect, what is the average? And the incredible difference between the ski areas right now makes me wonder how each of them ranks in terms of snowfall. Here's the list, ranked by average annual snowfall:

Berthoud Pass 500"
Wolf Creek 465"
Loveland 392"
Arapahoe Basin 360"
Monarch 350"
Winter Park 355"
Vail 335"
Beaver Creek 330"
Aspen Highlands 300"
Ajax 300"
Eldora 300"
Snowmass 300"
Steamboat Springs 300"
Telluride 300"
Crested Butte 298"
Copper Mountain 280"
Durango 260"
Breckenridge 255"
Cuchara 254"
Ski Cooper 250"
Keystone 230"
Powderhorn 220"
Buttermilk 200"
Silver Creek 180"

News & Real Deals

I like my ski report best. But maybe I'm a little biased, hey? There are other people writing about skiing in Colorado out there and you might enjoy them as well. The Denver Post has an article you might want to check out: http://www.denverpost.com/skisnow/skibest1119.htm. I don't agree with a lot of what John Meyer has to say, and I sure don't like him trash-talking Texans, but that's just me. I'm probably just jealous because someone's actually paying the guy to ski and then talk about it. Tough duty!

Caroline Lalive, the very same girl I talked to last week at Loveland, is also contributing to the Denver Post: http://www.denverpost.com/skisnow/ski1117b.htm. She talks about doing a lot of time in the weight room, but I'm telling you, she's a skinny girl. Maybe she should get on a Zone Diet and try that stuff that Mark McGwire takes, creatine. Anyway Caroline, you've got a huge fan right here!

Berthoud Pass opens today - lift served area only and the ticket costs $22.00. I'd wait for the next dump though.

Women's World Cup Super G and Slalom is this Friday and Saturday at Ajax Mountain (Aspen). If you got the Aspen Classic Pass you should have gotten lift tickets for these two days in the envelope.

Next Day Out

Due to a close encounter with a chair lift, I can't really say when I'll be out next. Probably with the next fresh snow.

As always, all of you are welcome to join us anytime for fun on the hill. Also, if you would like to stop receiving this email - just drop me a line. If you know anyone else that might want to get this report just send me their email and I'll add them to the list.

Miriam

...See you on the slopes...

Please don't hesitate to let me know what you think of this report. What do you like? What don't you like?

Ski Areas

Arapahoe Basin Http://www.arapahoebasin.com/inside.php3
Sat, Dec 2

Aspen Highlands
Http://www.skiaspen.com/
Sat, Dec 16

Ajax
Open

Beaver Creek
Http://www.beavercreek.com/
Open

Breckenridge (1)
Http://www.breckenridge.com/
Open

Berthoud Pass
Http://www.berthoudpass.com/main.html
Open

Buttermilk
Sat, Dec 16

Copper Mountain (1)
http://www.ski-copper.com/Home.html
Open

Loveland (1)
Http://www.skiloveland.com/
Open

Keystone (2)
Http://www.keystoneresort.com/
Open

Snowmass
Open

Vail
Http://www.vail.com/
Open

Winter Park/Mary Jane (2)
Http://www.skiwinterpark.com/
Open

Wolf Creek
http://www.wolfcreekski.com/welcome.html
Open

Colorado Ski & Golf

(303) 337-1734 2680 S Havana Street
Aurora

(303) 420-0885
6530 Wadsworth Bypass # 130
Arvada

Gart Sports

(303) 741-9621
9000 E Peakview Avenue
Englewood near Arapahoe Rd & I25

(303) 220-9933
2690 E County Line Road
Littleton

(303) 692-0121
2496 S Colorado Boulevard
Denver

(303) 340-3524
14401 E Exposition Avenue
Aurora

(303) 341-4305
14200 E Alameda Avenue
Aurora

(303) 333-4123
3000 E 1st Avenue # 123
Denver

(303) 333-1933
233 Milwaukee St
Denver

(303) 933-9005
8055 W Bowles Avenue # 4
Littleton

(303) 972-0350
8501 W Bowles Avenue
Littleton

(303) 861-1122
1001 Lincoln Street
Denver (Sports Castle)

(303) 922-5549
7200 W Alameda Avenue
Lakewood

(303) 431-8537
7400 W 52nd Avenue # A
Arvada

(303) 920-2226
251 W 104th Avenue
Denver

Christy Sports

(303) 708-8535 9609 E County Line Road # A
Englewood

(303) 740-7055
5926 S Holly Street
Englewood

(303) 321-3885
201 University Boulevard
Denver

(303) 972-0432
8176 W Bowles Avenue
Littleton

(303) 237-6321
875 Parfet St
Lakewood

(303) 271-0155
14371 W Colfax Avenue
Golden

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MizBlue Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1307 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/22/2000 10:57 AM
Recommendations: 1
El Primo....and La Prima....

Just luv it, m'dear!
Happy Thanksgiving. You are a real contributer.
-Luv,
Mizzie

Author: Moellemann Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1308 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/22/2000 2:49 PM
Recommendations: 14
Hello Miriam,

how can you do something like this to me?
This will break my heart. Snow there rain here in Europe.

I have been to Colorado 4 times by now, but always in summer or fall, never during winter.
Friends of mine have been in Aspen few years ago. Whenever we talk about skiing they tell us about the wonderful perfect snow you have over there. It must be somewhat different to the snow in Europe. Well, I don't know since I haven't been there. I'm always dreaming of doing some skiing in Colorada. One day I'm sure, it will happen.

However, I enjoyed your great report. It helped me for some more dreams at least. Thank you :-)

Greetings to you from Germany
Heinz

Author: MirKatze Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1309 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/22/2000 4:06 PM
Recommendations: 3
how can you do something like this to me?
This will break my heart. Snow there rain here in Europe.

Hello Heinz!

The snow here is so wonderful because it is dry, not wet. When you walk on it there is a crunching noise that I love. You cannot make a ball from it with your hands - it simply won't stick together.

I think this might be an especially fine year here in Colorado. Conditions are starting out very well. You should plan a trip. Look at flights into Colorado Springs as well as Denver. If you need any assitance, let me and the rest of this board know. We will help you get the best prices to have the best ski time.

Don't just dream! Come and ski with us!

Miriam
...greetings from Colorado!

Author: Moellemann Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1311 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/22/2000 4:45 PM
Recommendations: 10
Hi Miriam,

Don't just dream! Come and ski with us!

certainly I will come within the next two years. I'd better say "seasons" instead. Not in this winter, there are to many business appointments coming up. And than there will be my sons confirmation too. So, there is not to much time left. May the year after I will make it.
Thank you very much Miriam for offering your help! I am very pleased with that and I'll remember it next year.... :-), Thanks again.

I wish you a very nice day/night an lots of snow and fun... :-) and a very pleasant time!
And hey, did I read right, is there thanksgiving today?

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you friendly american people!!!

Heinz
from Germany

Author: TMFRadish Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1312 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/22/2000 4:53 PM
Recommendations: 2

It is according to the calendar in Microsoft Outlook. But for normal people, Thanksgiving Day is tomorrow (Thursday).

Phil
TMFRadish

Author: weasel292 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1317 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/23/2000 10:07 PM
Recommendations: 0
GUTENTAG HERR HEINZ:

WE HAVE A LOT OF 'HOCHGEBIRGE' IN COLORADO AS IN GERMANY..WE HAVE A LOT OF 'FOURTEENERS' 4,666 M. OR HIGHER..TO CLIMB AND SKI. I DON'T 'SCHUSS' ANYMORE HOWEVER I DO SCHNNEE SHOE A LOT. WHEN YOU GET HERE I'LL TAKE YOU OUT AND DO SOME WINTER CAMPING.. HOPE YOU CAN MAKE IT NEXT YEAR, I SPENT SOME GOOD TIMES IN GERMANY ANS WHEN I SKIED THEN I HAD A GRAET TIME ON THE BARVARIAN RUNS...KEEP IN TOUCH W/ALL OF US HERE ON THE POSTS THROUGHOUT THE YEAR..

MAN NEHME SORGE...

WIESEL

Author: Moellemann Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1318 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/24/2000 1:21 AM
Recommendations: 8
Hi Wiesel,

thank you for your reply.

I DON'T 'SCHUSS' ANYMORE HOWEVER I DO SCHNNEE SHOE A LOT.

I don't go Schuss either anymore. I never did snow shoe so far.
Hey, I'm glad to hear you had a pleasant time over here in Germany.
However, thanks for offering me help, I'll keep in touch.

Heinz

Author: MirKatze Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1319 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/24/2000 7:52 AM
I don't go Schuss either anymore.

What is Schuss?

tkx

Author: weasel292 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1320 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/24/2000 8:38 AM
Guten Morgen Herr Heinz:

Thxs for the reply, hope you understood my 'broken German' been awhile sience I used all thoes words, will be making turkey noodle soup today from the left-overs I usually get 9-10 qts or so. Nothing beats home made soup..

I was stationed in Germany 3 times, Maintz, Bad Tolz and Augsburg.. Had a great time and toured Europe a lot. I miss the Kris Kringle markets during the holidays, sure brings back good times and memories..

Just keeping in touch w/a good friend in the Fatherland and when you decide to visit here next year you'll be entertained quite a bit, looking forward to meeting you, it will be hard on you dividing your time w/all the sking and such and doing all of the winter sports.

Keep in touch and take care..

'FROHE WEIHNACHTEN & PROSIT NEIVAHR'

MICHAEL the 'WIESEL'

Author: kathcolo Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1321 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/24/2000 2:33 PM
>>What is Schuss?

tkx<<

Schuss=ski

Kath
(could also mean "be quiet!")

Author: Moellemann Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1322 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/25/2000 11:06 AM
Recommendations: 7
Hi Miriam,

excuse me for the late reply to your question.

What is Schuss?

Schuss in context of ski means go downhill straight foreward, shortest way no stop, in racing manner.
Well I don't know if I can trust my dictionary, it says rush, dash ??? but I don't think that is correct, is it?

Do you now anderstand the meaning of schuss?

The main meaning of Schuss however is shot,
schiessen = shoot, fire

Heinz

Author: Moellemann Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1323 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/25/2000 11:18 AM
Hi Michael,

Kris Kringle markets

I guess you mean "Christkindl Markt" Nürnberg (ü=ue)

Frohe Weihnachten & Prosit Neujahr
(Merry x-mas & happy new year) where actually prosit=cheers

I forgot all of my english I learned many years ago, sorry for mistakes and bad gramma.

Heinz

Author: sathurston Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1324 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/27/2000 10:39 AM
Wrote Heinz:

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you friendly american people!!!

Vielen Dank, mein freund Heinz!

(apologies if I've butchered my German =8^)

scottie

Author: MirKatze Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1325 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/27/2000 5:34 PM
The main meaning of Schuss however is shot,
schiessen = shoot, fire

This is what I thought. But I like the other meaning a lot. We have a ski club in Denver called Schussbaumer, but they are all single people and skiers. I have a family and they ride on all sorts of silly stuff like snowboards and snowblades and I don't know what will be next.

Your English is great!

My mother is getting me a new Christmas pyramid from the Erzgebirge mountains. I am very excited.

Author: mattjones75 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1327 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/28/2000 11:06 AM
Hey Mirian,
Cool report, good to have you back. Mark McGwire took all the guff about Andro (something) rather than creatine. your friendly fact checker, matt

Author: weasel292 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1329 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/28/2000 9:54 PM
Herr Heinz:

Just a quick note to you,,need your address so I may send you some items related to our state ski industry, also a nice Xmas card and other trinkets, so nice too talk to someone from DE and share the traditions I did. I know your busy and all however maby a quick message to me and I'll leave you alone. I'm taking the 'Ski Train' to winter park in Dec. to do some shoeing and just get away.

One question, what is the name of the ski run in southern barvaria that you can ski from Germany into Italy on one run, I'm not sure if it's the Zukspitzs or not, our Special Forces ski team stationed in Bad Tolz did the run and I can't remember it. I spent time in Garmish during the winter months, XCW search and rescue..appreciate your input.

Better go now, take it easy and have a good one.

Michaek, weisel

Author: MirKatze Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1330 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/29/2000 10:28 AM
Cool report, good to have you back. Mark McGwire took all the guff about Andro (something) rather than creatine. your friendly fact checker, matt

Quite right. But he does also take creatine. I have a buddy that takes it too and from the looks of him, it works. He also eats a LOT of protein and avoids carbs (except beer).

Miriam

Author: Moellemann Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1333 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/29/2000 1:48 PM
Recommendations: 6
< Vielen Dank, mein freund Heinz!

(apologies if I've butchered my German =8^)

scottie >

-----------

Hi Scottie,

nothing to apologies for. :-)

That was just about perfect! Except freund wie would have to write Freund, bat that is not realy worth to be talked about.

Heinz

Author: Moellemann Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1334 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/29/2000 2:38 PM
Hello Miriam,

I'm late again, sorry for that!

Your English is great!

not realy. But I work on it. Big problem is gramma. There are many mistakes. I was working within a NATO Headquarter in Germany for about 8 years. I don't wether you ever heard about Ramstein Air Force Base?
Did you hear about that terrible planecrash caused by an Italian Airplane during an airshow?

I had left the German Military and that Base just a few month before that accident.

However, thats where I lerned English. Since that is, let me think, about almost 20 years ago I have forgotten a lot of vocabulary! That is if you are not forced to speak English. Therefor I'll have to use a dictionary quite often.

Well, I never had the chance to learn English in school. Now, almost every kid has to lern English as well as German and some of them also lern french. It's mandatory, which in my opinion is very good. Everything of importance in this world is handled in English. Though everybody should speak English, a bit at least.

I have a family and they ride on all sorts of silly stuff like snowboards and snowblades and I don't know what will be next.

Be surprised Miriam ;-)) There is nothing you can realy do against it, can't you!

I just bought my son a snowboard yesterday. I am not going to try that out. I did that mistake ones when I tried to ride his scateboard. One try, one broken leg, hehe. ;-) So much for that experience!

Christmas pyramid? I don't think I know what that is.
Is your mother from the Erzgebirge, or just visiting?

So, this shall be it for today.
I wish you to have a pleasant day lots of sun powder snow, just everything you like, ok?

Heinz
from Germany (no snow to see)

Author: Moellemann Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1336 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/29/2000 3:08 PM
Hi Michael,

Heinz is my first name so just use that without Herr/Sir it is kind a formal thing which we do not use in internet since we are actualy a big family within Motley Fool. Will that be ok with you?

That ski run which takes you from Germany to Italy i don't know, but I'll find that out and give you another reply within the next days, ok?
It's not the Zugspitze, since that one is part of Germany and Austria (Österreich).

You are very welcome to send me postcards, I like them!
So here is my address:
Heinz Möller
Weilermatt 10
79379 Müllheim
Germany

For ä, ü, ö you can use ae, ue, oe instead q;-))

Have a good time over there.

Heinz

Author: weasel292 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1341 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/29/2000 6:33 PM
Hi Heinz:

Sorry for the formal greetings, just a respect to you'all...

I forgot to ask you what your direct E-mail address is, I can scan pictures and other items for you and keep you up-to date on all of the winter activities here, the parade of lights and the City & County lights are real nice..I got lots of pictures for you and other items..My direct E-mail is..

snipe2@uswest.net

Thxs and I'll be in touch...

"Frohe Weihnachten & Prosit New Jahr"

Michael

Author: MirKatze Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1343 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/29/2000 8:12 PM
Christmas pyramid? I don't think I know what that is.
Is your mother from the Erzgebirge, or just visiting?

So, this shall be it for today.
I wish you to have a pleasant day lots of sun powder snow, just everything you like, ok?

Heinz
from Germany (no snow to see)

Yes, you must know what it is - it has fan blades on the top and spins from candle heat at the base. Made of wood with handcarved figures. So beautiful. (Auf Deutsch wird es eine Weihnachtspyramide genannt.)

My mother is from Plauen (in former East Germany) but lives in San Diego, CA. She learned her English just as you did. I was born in Ludwigsburg and we came to the United States when I was four years old. I am still a German citizen, but I have a green card. You would never know it from talking to me though.

I went to Germany once over the Thanksgiving holiday and went to the Christmas market. It was very nice.

Miriam
...aber Sie können Mirjam sagen, wenn Sie wünschen...

Author: Moellemann Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1345 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/30/2000 6:20 AM
Hi Miriam,

Yes, you must know what it is - it has fan blades on the top and spins from candle heat at the base. Made of wood with handcarved figures. So beautiful. (Auf Deutsch wird es eine Weihnachtspyramide genannt.)

Yes of course I know that, something must have blocked my brain :-)

I heard about Plauen in east Germany, but never have been there. It seems not far from the Bavarian border, which is the very southeast state of Germany. That is where our big mountains are. I myself live in the very southwest of Germany near to the French (5 Miles) and Swiss (25 Miles) border. Right on the foot of the blackforest "Schwarzwald" where, of course you know that, the Kuckucksuhr is coming from.

Your Mom lives in San Diego? What a nice City. I love San Diego, i stoped there twice on my vacation tours through USA. You know, all those things like San Francisco, LA, San Diego, Tucson, Las Vegas, Death Valley, Grand Canon, Monument Valley, Zion N.P. and and and.... I did not make it to Denver so far. Somehow it never fit in to my travelplans.

I was born in Ludwigsburg and we came to the United States when I was four years old. I am still a German citizen, but I have a green card. You would never know it from talking to me though.

You speak German very well I guess! This is not a usual thing, even your Mother came from here and you were born in Germany.

In that case it may be is not ncessary to explain, but I'll do it anyway just in case.
You said: "...aber Sie können Mirjam sagen, wenn Sie wünschen..."
Now, Sie in German is very formal, couteous/polite? you talk like that if you talk to foreign people. Talking to friends you would use Du instead. Now since I do not know you for long time I can't say we are friends in the meaning of the word. On the other hand all participants in Motley Fool (in Germany at least) feel like a big family, which means we are all friends. So I offer you, since I'm the older one, to say Du to me which in english is not existent. It means talk to me like you talk to a friend, be unformal in talking to me. Do you want me to be formal in talking to you?
Hmm, I wonder whether this makes any sense at all to you. Must sound quite stupid, hehe. q:-))
One more point. Miriam vs. Mirjam what is the difference?

So much for today Mirjam.
I was very pleased you did respond to my post, thank you very much.
I hope you will be well soon and your knie will no longer hurt you to much. Have a nice day Mirjam.
Greetings to you and your family.

Heinz

Author: Moellemann Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1346 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/30/2000 6:34 AM
Hi Michael,

Sorry for the formal greetings, just a respect to you'all...

no reason for to be sorry. I just wanted to explain that for you, that's all. It is beacuse we in Germany usaly use Herr or Frau, but in that case since it is formal, you'd say Herr Moeller (last name) not Herr Heinz (first name).

I'm going to send you this post via mail to, so you can see my email adress there, ok?

Isn't it a bit early for wishing Forhe Weinachten & Prisit Neu Jahr? :-)

Have a good time
CU
Heinz

Author: sathurston Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1348 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/30/2000 5:43 PM
Heinz wrote:
nothing to apologies for. :-)

That was just about perfect! Except freund wie would have to write Freund, bat that is not realy worth to be talked about.

You are most gracious, Heinz!

scottie

Author: MirKatze Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1349 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/30/2000 5:44 PM
I did not make it to Denver so far. Somehow it never fit in to my travelplans.

Well, that is easily fixed! Please feel welcome to come and ski anytime during November through April. My house is always open: http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=13574195.

You speak German very well I guess!

No, unfortunately I don't. I was cut off from German in order to learn English in time for school. I had to study German as an adult in college. It is now many years since I have studied German or been to Germany and it is slipping away horribly. I do have good help with German and other languages from Babel Fish: http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/translate.dyn. One thing, it really helps to know the language already, because this software will give some very silly translations sometimes. I often try several phrasings in English before I find a French, German, or Spanish version that I like.

So I offer you, since I'm the older one, to say Du to me

Thank you very much - you are very kind. I did not want to take the liberty. I don't know which to use in unfamiliar social situations - and internet conversation is one of those unknowns. Everyone that I call du I have already known my whole life, so I am not very well versed in this area.

One more point. Miriam vs. Mirjam what is the difference?

Only a difference visually for a German, I guess. But our conversation is visual, isn't it? Mirjam is my correct name, but Americans have a trouble with it.

Ich glaube, daß mein Knie gesund erhält. Es geht besser jeden Tag und dieser Samstag denke ich, daß ich wieder Ski fahre.

Mirjam
...Die Berge rufen mich an...

Author: weasel292 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1350 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 11/30/2000 8:38 PM
Heinz:

Just a 'add-on' to the post..'My home is your home'..you're welcome anytime you decide to travel to our state,,,or country..no expensive motels or (guest houses) for you or your family...we're open to any or all of your accomidations...please feel free to contact any or all on the 'Fool board' to welcome you to our state...I especially will host you or yours for as long as you want to stay...My tours in DE was welcome and I wish I can do the same...the more we get together on the boards the more we look fwd to you and yours being here...I use 'you and yours' for the reason 'Your whole family, just not 'you', I"m a family man and wish you all to be here....I am hopeing I speak for all of our family members on the 'boards' as we all look fwd to your arrival.....How does a 'Elk Roast' dinner sound w/all of the trimming, yorkshiere pudding, squash w/marshmellows,peas/carrots,mash potatoes & gravy, salad of choice, and apple cobbler for desert??? You're not here yet????????? I'll have stiff compeition for sure from all of our 'fools' on the boards. Just a invitation for everyone in your family....Remember.."SANTA CLAUS..RULES..." the wisdom & magic of the Holiday Season will prevail.......
Looking fwd to your arrival...........

Michael & Zeek

Author: Moellemann Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1351 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 12/1/2000 2:27 AM
Hi Scottie,

I wrote:
....Except freund wie would have to write Freund, bat that is not realy worth to be talked about.

You then wrote:
You are most gracious, Heinz!

If I believe my dictionary, that does not sound very friendly. It sounds sarcastic/ironical? Actually I'm a little confused. Now is that true? And if so, did what I said sound like that to you?

Well I am sorry! That's not what I ment to say!
It was not my intention to correct you or to act as a teacher to any of you.

Sorry if I did torment you!

Heinz

Author: Moellemann Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1352 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 12/1/2000 6:36 AM
Hi Mirjam,

Only a difference visually for a German, I guess. But our conversation is visual, isn't it? Mirjam is my correct name, but Americans have a trouble with it.

you see it, I like "Mirjam" it is much more smooth to pronounce, for me at least... :-)

Thank you very much - you are very kind. I did not want to take the liberty. I don't know which to use in unfamiliar social situations - and internet conversation is one of those unknowns. Everyone that I call du I have already known my whole life, so I am not very well versed in this area.

We had a discussion about that on the German board. It actual was a question a TMF asked the users. Shall we say Sie or Du to you. I was impressed by the German answers. Everyone who replied to that question voted for using Du.
That is from Industrieworker to Scientist, just everyone. That was quite a surprise to me. Those super formalist germans seem to become a bit more open to the rest of the world. I liked it.

Sometimes I use that babelfish translater. But that output seems very strange to me. But it is a help at least to find single words, I guess.

Mirjam, thank you very much for your offer. I will take it for serious and when I'm in the United States for my next 4 week vacation, I'm going to visit you although it's in the summer. :-)

Be careful with those skilift (Sessellift how did you call them?) and don't go to fast when you go skiing on weekend!
Have fun and a lot of powdersnow :-)

Heinz

Author: MirKatze Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1360 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 12/1/2000 4:59 PM
Mirjam, thank you very much for your offer. I will take it for serious and when I'm in the United States for my next 4 week vacation, I'm going to visit you although it's in the summer. :-)

Then we can hike and ski on St Mary's Glacier!

I'm just kidding - I usually run out of steam around tax time (mid-April). In the summer, there is lots to do, of course. I can show you my two acres on the side of a mountain. It is so beautiful. Someday my husband and I will build a home there. Meanwhile, it's good for picnics.

Be careful with those skilift (Sessellift how did you call them?) and don't go to fast when you go skiing on weekend!
Have fun and a lot of powdersnow :-)

We call them chairlifts. I will be most careful from now on. I have learned a terrible lesson.

Bis später!

Mirjam
...Meine neue Pyramide hat einen Kennsatz auf dem unteren, der sagt, "Dieser Pyramidenleuchter ist echte Handarbeit aus Seiffen im Erzgebirge".

Author: sathurston Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1361 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 12/1/2000 6:30 PM
Heinz wrote:
If I believe my dictionary, that does not sound very friendly. It sounds sarcastic/ironical? Actually I'm a little confused. Now is that true? And if so, did what I said sound like that to you?

Hello Heinz!

Do you mean that your original comment may have sounded sarcastic? If so, I did not take it that way at all. After all, you first complimented my German. The you pointed out a fact I did not know.

Please, don't worry about correcting my German. I have never learned it formally, and after all, it is your native language.

I hope you understood my reply correctly, as well.

Warm regards,
scottie

Author: Moellemann Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1370 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 12/2/2000 11:53 AM
Hi Scottie,

I feel relieved, since I thought I made a big mistake by correcting you. I just liked to show how difficult and sometimes stupid our lguage is. For example in English almost everything is written in lowercas letters.
In German there are many words which have to be written in uppercase letters.
So when I corrected freund to Freund it was meant in a fun sense. So, sorry about that misunderstanding!
By the way, any of you feel free to correct me, since I want to learn English better than I can handle it right now.

Hope you all have a great skiweekend :-))

With my best regards
Heinz

Author: sathurston Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1391 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 12/4/2000 6:28 PM
Wrote Heinz:
I feel relieved, since I thought I made a big mistake by correcting you. I just liked to show how difficult and sometimes stupid our lguage is.

We have similar problems with English. There are many letters that have different sounds in different words. It makes it very difficult when teaching our children to read, for one thing.

So, do not worry about it. Danke, mein Freund!

scottie

Author: weasel292 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1396 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 12/5/2000 9:20 AM

Heinz my good man:

Seems I'm having some difficulty trying to send you E-mail..I have lots of items to send you however I get error msgs. stating 'no such e-mail address"..canceling my msgs.

I have your address as: heinzmoeller@online.de

Am I correct?? let me know..thxs.

Michael

Author: Moellemann Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1406 of 6270
Subject: Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date: 12/5/2000 5:58 PM
Hi Michael,

just a little mistake in email adress.
It should be like this heinzmoeller@t-online.de.
Try that one :-)

Heinz

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement