Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: DollarIQ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 522  
Subject: Miscalc on credit card bill Date: 6/1/2005 9:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I just realized on a dinner bill that I had accidentally miscalculated the total. Fortunately minor, only a $1 differential (plus tax and tip, it should have been $X0.XX, I wrote $X1.XX), but would be fine with the extra $1.

How do restaurants handle the receipts and deal with arithmetic problems like this? Do you think I should contact the restaurant, days after the meal itself, or is it not worth it?

$IQ
Print the post Back To Top
Author: terminalwriter Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 519 of 522
Subject: Re: Miscalc on credit card bill Date: 6/2/2005 9:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
How do restaurants handle the receipts and deal with arithmetic problems like this? Do you think I should contact the restaurant, days after the meal itself, or is it not worth it?

Generally, the systems are set up to enter what's on the tip line, not what's on the total. So, if the server isn't looking very closely, he'll put the amount on the line and nobody knows the difference.

However, I've had tips before where it was obvoius that they didn't know math, and the manager has told me to put the total in, because generally that's what the person looks at on their credit card statement.

However, generally credit card batches are run nightly and if it wasn't entered with the extra dollar, there's very little chance it can go back and be changed.

TW

Author: DollarIQ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 520 of 522
Subject: Re: Miscalc on credit card bill Date: 6/2/2005 10:52 AM
Generally, the systems are set up to enter what's on the tip line, not what's on the total. So, if the server isn't looking very closely, he'll put the amount on the line and nobody knows the difference.

However, I've had tips before where it was obvoius that they didn't know math, and the manager has told me to put the total in, because generally that's what the person looks at on their credit card statement.

However, generally credit card batches are run nightly and if it wasn't entered with the extra dollar, there's very little chance it can go back and be changed.

Makes sense, thanks for the reply!

$IQ

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement