No. of Recommendations: 37
Mish,

Hope you are paying attention, but I seriously doubt it. By now, you are wondering (unless you are completely "unclear on the concept") why everyone is bashing you. You remind me of a poster named Rimpinths, noted on the CMGI board in 99-00 as a "guiding light" on the dangers of the Bubble bursting. He has similar views to yours, and the nasty habit of putting down anyone who disagreed with him, boasting that the day would come when we would all agree he was right - well, guess what, then, as now, we were unconcerned whether he was right, but were more intersted in his attitude towards anyone who disagreed with him, and we always told him that should he be right, there would be no one to lead the parade, no one to demand that he be on Oprah or CNBC, no one to congratulate him on being right...because (drum roll) he failed to "get it". Sometimes we forget those lifelong lessons that we learned (or were supposed to learn) in Kindergarten about not being the one who "knows it all". Know-it-alls have always been scorned in our society, left out of our little friendly groups, last to be picked for sides in our games, etc, etc, because folks dislike being told that someone else holds the key to wisdom, and dissenting opinions are to be ignored at best, or "corrected" or lambasted at worst.

Don't even know if Rimpinths is still posting, but doubt if many have missed his passing.

Please join the healthy discourse on TMF, and leave the attitude in the paper shredder, where it belongs.

Shaken
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5
I remember Rimpy well...it didn't help that IFK would joust with him regularly. These guys like nothing more than to spew paragraph after paragraph of their run-on variety crapola...zzzzzzzz.

Boring.

And always with the "I predicted it" or "I called it" - followed by the link to the genius' own post...how do these guys remember their own posts from months prior? Do they file away their own posts?

Did I mention that they're egotistical, too? ;)

rex
No. of Recommendations: 1
No. of Recommendations: 3
Please join the healthy discourse on TMF, and leave the attitude in the paper shredder, where it belongs.

Shaken

Shaken that is a point well taken but remember that attitude is a two way street.

I was recently attacked for suggesting a short term bottom might be in but at the same time suggesting to buy just out of patriotism was wrong.

There are many here that simply can not stand me.
From a post I just did a few minutes ago, there will be many more.

People should stop in on my board sometime for comparison. There are no attacks, there are ideas presented and discussed. A poster named edboy who was a huge mish hater both on private emails and public emails has changed his mind and said so in a very nice post after lurking on my board for some time.

People here do not want to hear ANYTHING negative. Sensitivities are raised and I respond in kind. It has happened before it will happen again. Those that do not want to hear the market is still overvalued "yes it STILL is" should probably put me on ignore.

It really is so so sad, all the good avice that is available here and on the shorting board but people keep believing the liars on Wall Street.

Here is a post from SI that describes what I am talking about.
BTW COTs are commercial traders from GS MSDW etc etc etc.
During this downturn the COTs kept adding and adding and adding S&P puts. Meanwhile the houses kept telling people to buy buy buy.
Patriotism. Give me a break. Did you see the Put Call bid/ask spreads.
Truly unbelievable. All they want is your money. They shorted stocks while telling everyone to put on the patriot hat and buy buy buy.
The post from Patron on SI
========================================================
something that has NEVER been mentioned on CNBC is that the COTs show that the very same brokerage houses that keep telling investors to buy and hold on, and predict absurd target prices for the SnP (see Mother Superior's target of 1550 for the SnP) are themselves MASSIVELY short the stock index futures.

No. of Recommendations: 3
People should stop in on my board sometime for comparison. There are no attacks, there are ideas presented and discussed.

Got to agree with Mish here - his board is about the only one with realists regularly posting and the only one displaying a down to earth approach to this present market - and even when diametrically opposing views are expressed it's all done with good humour.
Harmy
No. of Recommendations: 7
Mish,

I'd like to be the first to say I have sincerely enjoyed your contrarian views (which I know don't seem so contarian now), but try to recall, once again, when someone close to you tried to get you to only say good things about people, or be quiet. That is a sign of maturity, and will go a long way to quieting critics. You seem to think it is OK to reply in kind to personal attacks, but you only make it worse by doing so. I used to have you p-boxed some time ago for such nonsensical remarks, but then decided to take the p-box off, and have enjoyed, and learned, much from you. As Joe Friday once said, "just the facts, mam". More of the knowledge you possess, less of the attitude, and try to ignore those who lash out personally. We ignore them, and you should try it also.

Shaken
No. of Recommendations: 2
People here do not want to hear ANYTHING negative.

maybe, but i rather hear something negative that will save me money that ignore it. Not losing money is more important to me than not wanting to hear something negative. What people don't want to hear is someone say.."NASDAQ 1,000 is the bottom" and provide no reasons to back it up..

btw, i've been reading about how more and more are selling everything and cashing in. They've sold everything and cashed in. So we may be getting closer to the bottom, but one has to wonder.. If everyone knows that we wont have a bottom till investors capitulate, doesn't that change things? For example, it could be a self fulfilling prophesy or in my case, i've decided that I'm not going to capitulate, because Buffett and the other great investors say buy when everyone else is fearful. Plus, why would i want to quit investing now? Stocks are getting cheap & discounting much of the bad news. There are some great companies out there with 5 or 6 times free cash flow.

JDSU is up only 34.10% if you bought in the middle of 1997. Yet they've gone from under 100 million in annual sales to over 2 billion. Granted, they've bought much of the competition to get there.

<< JDSU is up only 34.10% if you bought in the middle of 1997. Yet they've gone from under 100 million in annual sales to over 2 billion. Granted, they've bought much of the competition to get there. >>

Interesting...I wonder, though...the latter 2 acquisitions, ETEK and SDLI were major and expensive. The SDL merger was a $41 billion deal that wasn't completed until 2/2001 - while the telecom meltdown was in-progress. The ETEK deal was worth $15 billion and was completed in mid-2000. What might the contribution of those 2 giant acquisitions have been to that $2 billion?

In any case, I've got a big stake in JDSU, and I believe the future is rosy, although it's hard to see through the dark cloud before us tonight.

rex
No. of Recommendations: 0
JDSU is up only 34.10% if you bought in the middle of 1997. Yet they've gone from under 100 million in annual sales to over 2 billion. Granted, they've bought much of the competition to get there.

It's worth noting that JDSU only had 270 M shares out in mid 1997. It now has 1324 M.

rick
thanks scrim,..we needed that...as anyone knows..we needed that..t-rat
Advertisement