UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: cslckl Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76397  
Subject: Mismanaged Pension Funds? Date: 2/14/1998 5:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This is rather long but I have a situatin to deal with that I don't know what to do about, or how really bad it is. Am hoping one of you readers can offer some guidance:

In 1994, my husband went to work for an S-Corporation with 3 shareholders and about 15 employees. He, as an employee, became eligible for their Pension and Profit Plans in 1996 and had monies allocated beginning in '96 for those plans. The 'Plans' are administered by the office administrator, and are (unfortunately) not funded until after the calendar/financial year. Pension funds are invested in a variety of mutual and bond funds.

In February of 1997 the administrator held the annual employee meeting to discuss the investment of the newly-distributed '96 pension funds. My husband asked me to attend with him, and at that meeting I suggested that the portfolio was awfully conservative. (Total 1996 return was 11% and they were happy with it!!) My opinion was listened to and then ignored. My husband and I felt that further comment would not help, and to sit on it: We had no other choice, as the group voted to continue as is with the portfolio.

My husband became a shareholder in 1997 and was then told he could roll the funds into whatever he wished......which we have done. We also just found out that we could have rolled the funds from the beginning, as the fund plan allows the employees to self-direct (but no one tells them this).

The principal (from 96 and 97) was received several weeks ago and we have invested, Foolishly. This week we received the 'interest' from the 96 pension investment: TOTAL OF 2% return on 1996 funds,
being the total return for those funds for the entire investment year of 1997.!!

***The plan administrator told my husband that she left his portion of the pensions funds (while he was still an employee) in a 2% savings account, because he had indicated that he didn't like the investment portfolio all of the other employees were in. She also stated that she told him this last year----which he swears to me is not true.

The bottom line is probably about %3,500 in interest that my husband's pension has not received, assuming that if the monies had been left in the employee's plan, they had a 15% return during 1997. While not a huge sum of money today, the tax-deferred growth over 20 years of that amount is a large figure.

Can anyone help with advice on where to go from here and what possibilities there are that can solve this?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement