Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tecsherman Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: mispelled name on W2 Date: 3/25/2001 7:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My wife's last name (same as mine) was misspelled (one extra letter) on the W-2 she got as a household employee. SSN is correct. It was a mistake by the accountant that handles the employer's business. The employer says it shouldn't matter.

Will it *really* matter?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: duggg Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48998 of 121061
Subject: Re: mispelled name on W2 Date: 3/25/2001 8:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
tecsherman asks,

My wife's last name (same as mine) was misspelled (one extra letter) on the W-2 she got as a household employee. SSN is correct. It was a mistake by the accountant that handles the employer's business. The employer says it shouldn't matter. Will it?

Technically, the SSN is the most important, but the name acts as a cross-check.

Two reasons why you should insist the employer issue a corrected W2 immediately:

1. The IRS may send back your return if it spots the error, delaying your refund. It's up to you to submit the correct W2.

2. Your Social Security contributions may not get properly credited to you if the name doesn't exactly match the SSN. Don't wait to correct it years from now.

Author: tecsherman Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49001 of 121061
Subject: Re: mispelled name on W2 Date: 3/25/2001 8:45 PM
Thanks for the advice. We are going to be paying more tax, not getting a refund, so delaying the refund is not an issue, but everything else you mentioned is.

Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49006 of 121061
Subject: Re: mispelled name on W2 Date: 3/26/2001 12:20 AM
IIRC, the only real problem with a misspelled name is that you can't file your return electronically.

Ira

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement