Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: HelicalZz Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8074  
Subject: Re: Poll: Views on CAPS Date: 10/3/2006 7:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
missah,

Here's what I posted on Improve the Fool earlier today (language corrected)
---------------------
My take.

It's an experiment in the format of a learning tool disguised as a game.

See CAPS is like an onion....it has layers. (Shrek reference)

Personally, I love CAPS and have been quite active on the beta discussion board. To me, it's an excellent way to explore an investing philosophy. With no 'risk capital' one can pick individual stocks and compare over time how they do in comparison to the S&P and other players / stock pickers.

While that is good, CAPS also provides / encourages commentary and discussion. One can (should, although not enough do IMO) detail why a selection was made and comment during the course of thier 'mock' ownership whether the presumption was right or wrong; more importantly (for those inclined) why they were right or wrong. Inevitably, lessons will be learned. The collective framework allows one to see what others think / have to say about a selection, which can help refine your own arguments for or against.

The grand experiment is whether this competitive effort will result in valuable collective intelligence. Are companies that are universally liked or disliked by the community really better investments or not. The opinions of those who are mostly right get weighted more than those who aren't, so hype should be largely minimized.

It will take years to know for sure whether this 'experiment' is just a fun game (and learning tool) or a revolutionary new tool in stock evaluation.

Can't you just see Cramer on his show years from now saying something like I'm inclined to dislike XXX, but those darn Fools have it rated 5 stars in CAPS, and darned if they aren't almost always right.

Have fun, learn something, contribute to the collective experiment, that's CAPS.

Zz - currently doing poorly in CAPS, but getting a lot of added experience.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Is the Market Overvalued?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement