Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Generally, I favor Apple products, but sometimes Apple just makes it too hard.

1) Our son recently turned 6 and, for his birthday, he was asking for an iPad. Given that he's 6 and that the cheapest iPad is $400 (the Mini without cellular) but we could get an Amazon Fire Kids Edition for about $100, the choice was simple. With built-in parental controls, a rugged case, and a 2-year "pretty much anything" warranty, we went with the Amazon Fire. I'd really prefer Apple consider something like this (it might require multi-user support in iOS though) -- even if it weren't as cheap as the Fire but closer, I'd consider it. (It doesn't help that the movies we own are via iTunes, which means they can't be watched on his Fire).

2) My brother-in-law got us a Google Home Mini for Christmas which, so far, has been pretty nice. I'm not a huge fan of Google (actually, I really dislike them as a company), so I wish Apple had decided to go this route rather than the one they're taking with the HomePods (it might require Siri to work better, though :); the Google Assistant rarely messes up ).

Right now those are 2 (fairly small) cracks in an Apple household, and I think they're cracks that could have been avoided.

dsbrady
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement