UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MissEdithKeeler Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 883693  
Subject: Re: Saving and Dining (and TV). Date: 12/11/2012 2:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
MissEdithKeeler, sorry for going on a tangent. At the same time, I also thank you for being able to do so much for your mother. Many people lack the ability, willingness, or even basic competence to care for someone else and you have all of this and then some.

Hey, it was a great tangent!!

I moved back here to be closer to my mom, because I was seeing some signs of the poor nutrition, etc. With her, she's not especially incapacited, but she is very depressed, and I think a lot of her depression was loneliness. Since I see her at least once a week, call her every day, and get her to get out and about from time to time, a lot of this loneliness is abating, I think.

The other thing is--my mom knows how to push my buttons! She is always very complimentary of my cooking, which means I'll cook for her more. I love to cook, and I love to cook for people who enjoy my food. I do cook extra stuff and share--last week I made a huge pot of lentil soup and gave them half; a few weeks ago it was chili (which my mom was raving about again last night--I think that's a hint for more chili!!). I also think there's a tendency to just enjoy food you don't have to cook yourself--why we go to restaurants, I suppose.

And it's a win for me, too. As a single person who loves to cook, sometimes it's hard to cook for just one. I make a big pot of chili, I get sick of it before it's gone, and I don't always like the quality when I freeze and reheat.

I mentioned a few days ago I was going to cook a pot of beans. My mom asked me about it last night "Hey, how did your beans turn out?" "I didn't get around to making them yet." "Oh. I was hoping to have some with some cornbread." Is that a hint or what? I better get cooking....
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement