No. of Recommendations: 2
Mississippi probably makes more cars now that Detroit, but guess what more people in Mississippi are on welfare than in Michigan by far percentage wise.

Despite the poverty, one would be safer walking down any street of almost any Mississippi town or city at any time of day or night than one would be walking around parts of Detroit.

Even in areas with poverty, folks in Mississippi generally tend to be gracious and polite by nature or upbringing, or both. Once, when just passing through Vicksburg, we arrived at one of the Antebellum House Museums (I don't recall which) shortly after visiting hours were over. We knocked on the door, anyway - and a kind elderly docent opened the door a crack to tell us they were closed. After we mentioned that we would be leaving Vicksburg the following morning before the house would be open, she offered to give us a quick, private guided tour and didn't even try to rush us through.

I don't have any relatives there, but I do respect the people of this poor in money but rich in culture area of America.

...The works of state natives attest to the fact that music, literature and art are inherent aspects of Mississippi culture and life. The literary community is one of the most impressive to be found anywhere. Eudora Welty, William Faulkner, Richard Wright, Walker Percy, Tennessee Williams and Willie Morris all lifted their pens in Mississippi, and now John Grisham continues the tradition of outstanding Southern writers...

http://www.visitmississippi.org/ms-living---culture.aspx
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement