Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Silencer2480 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 22618  
Subject: Missles from the West Bank Date: 11/23/2012 9:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
If Israel pulls out of the west bank, as many on this board advocate, do you not think that even more of israel would now be subject to rocket fire? Jerusalem is right there, Tel Aviv is now only nine miles away. I think we've proven with the situation in Gaza that Israel is unable to control the flow of arms into areas not under their control.

Would the new status quo just be that sporadic rockets into Jerusalem and Tel Avivis to be ignored, like the residents of sderot and the south have been dealing with for years?

silencer
Print the post Back To Top
Author: dovbaer6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22172 of 22618
Subject: Re: Missles from the West Bank Date: 11/24/2012 3:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
If Israel pulls out of the west bank, as many on this board advocate, do you not think that even more of israel would now be subject to rocket fire? Jerusalem is right there, Tel Aviv is now only nine miles away. I think we've proven with the situation in Gaza that Israel is unable to control the flow of arms into areas not under their control.

Would the new status quo just be that sporadic rockets into Jerusalem and Tel Avivis to be ignored, like the residents of sderot and the south have been dealing with for years?

silencer

clearly rocket fire is unacceptable whether it originates in Gaza or the West Bank.

the only solution is a comprehensive political settlement that includes a fully sovereign Palestinian state, recognition of Israel by the Palestinians and the Arab states, trade agreements, etc.

Many people, including myself, have said that the two state solution is dead. But I don't see any other viable solution. A one state solution is DOA. Israelis are not going to let demographics allow the Palestinians to turn Israel into a Muslim state, and Palestinians are not going to accept Israeli citizenship, imo.

the current situation is not viable either (despite Israels temporary military advantage). What we have today is a half step away from an Apartheid situation, and moving relentlessly in that direction. The Palestinians will not stand for being shoved into 'reservations' or 'bantustans' and second class stateless status .... they will resist and fight against that, just as Jews or any self respecting human would.

and how does a weaker opponent fight against a stronger one?

we all know the answer to that.

No .... the only solution is a two state solution, with the Palestinians having full sovriegnty over the Al Aqsa Mosque, and Israel having full sovreignty over the Western Wall. The only way the Third Temple can be built is if the Palestinians allow it on their sovreign territory next to the Mosque.

Jerusalem must be divided.

I don't see what's so terrible about that. Compared to what Jews went through 80 years ago, having 3/4's of Jerusalem, a sovereign state, a powerful economy and military .... that's pure heaven compared to what our grandparents went through.

Let's make a deal ...

Dov

Author: Tuni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22173 of 22618
Subject: Re: Missles from the West Bank Date: 11/24/2012 4:57 PM
dov,
the bitter truth, the only viable option for peace.....hopefully, if both sides can get the hatred and emotions out of the way....they finally did it in Ireland but I don't think I'll see it in my lifetime and am quite sure its not a popular alternative but what's left, what else is there to finally end this?????

Author: Silencer2480 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22174 of 22618
Subject: Re: Missles from the West Bank Date: 11/24/2012 8:14 PM
No .... the only solution is a two state solution, with the Palestinians having full sovriegnty over the Al Aqsa Mosque, and Israel having full sovreignty over the Western Wall. The only way the Third Temple can be built is if the Palestinians allow it on their sovreign territory next to the Mosque.

I don't see what's so terrible about that. Compared to what Jews went through 80 years ago, having 3/4's of Jerusalem, a sovereign state, a powerful economy and military .... that's pure heaven compared to what our grandparents went through.

Ok, and if the get all this and still decide to fire rockets, which are now that much closer to population centers, from the midst of a civilian population? Do you really think the israeli government will be able to mount an effective response?

Author: elann Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22175 of 22618
Subject: Re: Missles from the West Bank Date: 11/25/2012 2:38 AM
Recommendations: 6
Ok, and if the get all this and still decide to fire rockets, which are now that much closer to population centers, from the midst of a civilian population? Do you really think the israeli government will be able to mount an effective response?

The majority of the population on both sides wants peace, and the governments on both sides are doing the bidding of extremists. If there is courageous leadership for peace, an agreement can be reached in which rocket fire will be rejected and prevented by both sides. Tragically, the warmongers on both sides are gradually gaining ground.

A couple of weeks ago Abu Mazen gave an interview on Israeli TV. He said that although he was born in Tsfat, in Israel, he doesn't want to return there to live. For him, he said, Palestine is in the West Bank and Gaza, and he wishes to live beside Israel in its 1967 borders, and not to return the refugees to Israel. I think that's a solid basis for a peace agreement. But what was the response from Avigdor Lieberman, Israel's foreign minister? He labeled Abu Mazen a "political terrorist", whatever that means. Tragically, Israel's government today wants peace less than the Palestinians, and it is doing its darndest to convince the Israeli public that peace is impossible. This will IMHO be viewed by history as an ultimately catastrophic policy.

Elan

Author: dovbaer6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22176 of 22618
Subject: Re: Missles from the West Bank Date: 11/25/2012 8:48 AM
Recommendations: 2

Ok, and if they get all this

its not just 'they' who get this .... we (Israel) gets this too.

our grandparents were in concentration camps ... we have a paradise now in Israel, the fulfillment of a 2000 year old dream, and Netanyahu and Lieberman are literally pyssing it away as if we've always had Israel.

and still decide to fire rockets, which are now that much closer to population centers, from the midst of a civilian population? Do you really think the Israeli government will be able to mount an effective response?

nothing is risk free, but yes, I do.

see Elan's response
http://boards.fool.com/ok-and-if-the-get-all-this-and-still-...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement