Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
IRS notified me of some problems.

I created my own schedule D that was lost or not accepted. So the IRS has figured my cost basis as 0. And says I owe the complete amount.

The IRS statement does not say to refill out the entire 1040 but I am wondering if that is best. I do have the amounts for dividends and capital gains on the original 1040, but that does not seem to be taken into account on what they say I owe. They just gave me a list of stocks and dividends that "were not reported". I did omit one trade on the form I had sent in, and didn't report MLP income correctly. So if I just send the corrections I won't be sure what I owe them unless I do the entire form again.

Or is it best to just send in the documentation and let them figure out what I will owe? I estimate I will owe about 10 to 20 dollars more in taxes. Big money!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.