No. of Recommendations: 9
I received 4 "Important Message from eBay Loss Prevention Department" emails this weekend, pertaining to magazine subscriptions that I purchased from a single seller back in January. eBay has closed their account, and I am out about $25. It could have been worse, of course.

I got sloppy -- complacent. After more than 10 years on eBay, this is the first time I've ever been completely burned. I was lulled into a false sense of security by the following:

1. The seller had a stellar record. Feedback > 9000, with a 99.9% satisfactory rating (or so; I forget the exact figure). Was in business for several years.

2. Magazines take time to start delivery, even if you order directly from the distributor. This seller said to allow 8-12 weeks for the first issue, which seemed reasonable. So, I waited.

3. The seller was very responsive. They sent an auto email to acknowledge payment, and a few days later, sent another email to say the information had been transmitted to the publisher.

Here's what I did wrong:
1. I bought a Symantec product which had a rebate. The rebate arrived in the form of a debit card, instead of a check (as they used to do). I used the debit card to pay via Paypal. I don't even have the debit card # anymore, since once it was used up, I threw it away.

So lesson #1 -- Use credit cards only. You can always initiate a chargeback if you don't get the merchandise.

2. I waited. And waited. And waited. Instead, I should have simply called the magazine's customer service # and verified that they had received my information. When I did that today, I was told that when the information is transmitted to them (electronically, of course), it goes immediately into their database. So, while it may indeed take 6-8 weeks before getting the first issue, I should be able to verify the information much faster.

Lesson #2 -- Verify, don't wait until it's too late. (You can't file a Paypal claim after 45 days. I'm about a week late.)

3. Don't buy multiple items from the same seller if you've never bought from that seller before. That may not apply to everything, but it certainly applies (IMO) to something like magazine subscriptions.

I probably made more mistakes, but those are the ones that guaranteed I was out $25. Live & learn (relatively cheap lessons, I suppose).

Ken
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5
I received 4 "Important Message from eBay Loss Prevention Department" emails this weekend, pertaining to magazine subscriptions that I purchased from a single seller back in January. eBay has closed their account, and I am out about $25. It could have been worse, of course.

I got sloppy -- complacent. After more than 10 years on eBay, this is the first time I've ever been completely burned. I was lulled into a false sense of security by the following:

1. The seller had a stellar record. Feedback > 9000, with a 99.9% satisfactory rating (or so; I forget the exact figure). Was in business for several years.

This sounds like one of two things: 1) The seller's account was hijacked by someone intent on stealing from you and others, or 2) the seller either was incapacitated or died (it happens).

9000 positive feedback doesn't happen by accident.

Paul
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi, Paul,

This sounds like one of two things: 1) The seller's account was hijacked by someone intent on stealing from you and others, or 2) the seller either was incapacitated or died (it happens).

eBay (or perhaps the seller) changed the seller's id to "got_hacked01", so I suspect the former is more likely than the latter.

But one thing doesn't make sense. WHEN did it get hijacked? I placed my order mid-January, and the seller emailed me a few days later to inform me that my information had been given to the publisher. But we know now that was not the case. So the hijacker was emailing out these notices? I guess.

But if the account was hijacked in mid-January, how could it have taken THIS long to figure that out, and close the account? Unless, perhaps, the original seller died and then the account was hijacked. That seems a bit far-fetched, but perhaps possible?

Oh, well, I suppose the why doesn't really matter. It happened.

Ken

No. of Recommendations: 1

Ken - It just happened to me too. I was extra-special sloppy and lost track of time. It's been 3 months since I placed the order and can't even file a claim on my credit card.

I've had lots of good luck with magazine subscriptions on ebay but I'll probably never, ever again order a magazine through ebay7.
I've had lots of good luck with magazine subscriptions on ebay but I'll probably never, ever again order a magazine through ebay

I certainly understand the feeling, Dorothy. I'm sorry you also had a bad experience. I think I may order subscriptions again via ebay, but will definitely be much more careful about making sure it goes through before it's too late to get a refund.

You can still file an "Item not received" report with eBay, though I don't know how much good that will do. Just go to the Dispute Console (there's a link in "My eBay").

Ken
But one thing doesn't make sense. WHEN did it get hijacked? I placed my order mid-January, and the seller emailed me a few days later to inform me that my information had been given to the publisher. But we know now that was not the case. So the hijacker was emailing out these notices? I guess.

I can imagine automated software that tells buyers that they are being processed (shipping in 3 days, order sent to publisher, etc.). But, those things are actually done by a person pressing a button, etc. So, it might have happened even before you made the buy, but the software still recognized the 'sale' can't/doesn't know the account is hijacked and the rest is the history you observed.

Paul
No. of Recommendations: 2
My Ebay Account was recently Hi-jacked. However, I knew immediately because the person did not change the email address associated with the account. When they listed various high-end audio items out of Britain(!) I received a dozen emails stating as much. I cancelled the auctions immediate (I was able to log-in) and emailed ebay. They took care of the rest.

Apparently mine had been taking through a phishing email which I hadn't noticed...shame on me! But anyway, they had me take a short tutorial which I found helpful.

-JC
No. of Recommendations: 2
About a year and half ago I ordered 2 magazine subscriptions from an ebay seller and never received them. I blame myself entirely for not being up on the paypal policy of 45 days. The seller kept me hanging by first promising me the magazines were on the way (can take up from 8-12 weeks) and then by promising a refund was in the works--and the paypal claim and feedback date sailed right past. I figure people who have to make a living by stealing money through ebay magazine subscriptions must have a pretty hard life--living that life is punishment enough. I have always had good luck with the discount magazine websites on the web--but I won't order off ebay again simply because I don't have time to monitor dates.

Mary
Advertisement