Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (109) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 9208  
Subject: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/26/2002 5:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
So, ya up for it? I put you first in the subject, so you're white. <The Duke>
Make your move, pilgrim.
</The Duke>
Print the post Back To Top
Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/26/2002 5:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I dont know how often I will be able to check ing to move due to work constraints.

Besides I have to get used to the square locations.

But for starters ...

e4

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 33 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/26/2002 7:22 PM
That's cool, I'm not sure how often I'll be able to check it either. We'll just take it move-by-move and take our time.

1. e4 Nf6

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/27/2002 10:19 AM

1. e4 Nf6
2. d3

The knight defense is a great way to start.

What type of player do you consider yourself, JT? I am a novice but I have played for years just not that often.

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/27/2002 12:11 PM
Recommendations: 1
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5

What type of player do you consider yourself, JT? I am a novice but I have played for years just not that often.

I'm along the lines of Clones probably, an experienced beginner. Not experienced enough to know the names of the strategies I use (if you can call 'em strategies), but have been playing since middle school. I own a couple chess books, got through one of them a couple years ago, flipped though a couple others, but then went a couple years without playing, so I've pretty much forgotten what I learned. I really love it, though, and am hoping to rekindle my interest in it (if I can tear myself away from all the great new (to me anyway) games that are sitting on my PC waiting for me to play them (Half-life is my current addiction, having just replaced Max Payne - Deus Ex and Mechwarrior 4 are next)!

Author: psuasskicker Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/27/2002 1:37 PM
I have to add in here that I'm a Playstation addict. I just got done with over 60 hours in FFX and am now working on GT3 which is AWESOME! :-)

Author: gahamuvo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/27/2002 1:55 PM
ps, to help you with (first OT thread? :), do you play FF Tactics? if you like chess and final fantasy, you should like that.

-gabe
#1 FFTactics fan

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/27/2002 2:00 PM
I have to add in here that I'm a Playstation addict.

Never got too into console games, to be honest - I guess my thumbs (I think my right hand has a left thumb, and vice versa) were just not agile enough to compete. So as soon as the joysticks of the Atari 2600 (ahh, nostalgia) were replaced by the gamepads of the Nintendo, I was done for.

JT

Author: psuasskicker Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/27/2002 2:05 PM
I've played it once. It went over my head and I never really got into it. I think I just really didn't understand the rules...

FFX really bummed me a bit. It was really a great game, but I didn't like that "You have no world map to run around" part. It's just not Final Fantasy without a world map to run around!!!

FFXI sounds to be much better. I hear it's the spin from FFIX which I loved the storyline, but hopefully will have the leveling abilities (choose your own path, etc) and some of the other incredible features of FFX.

But then again, this isn't the video-game board... :-)

Chris

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/27/2002 2:17 PM
-gabe

Hey, Gabe from the Gulch! Welcome!

JT

Author: gahamuvo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/27/2002 3:47 PM
Hey, Gabe from the Gulch! Welcome!
-------

greetings, JT...hey, i had beers with johnnyX last night :)

good guy, same in person as on the boards.

-gabe

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/27/2002 4:43 PM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3

I don't know the strategies that well either, I just remener the knight defense. ;-)

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 68 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/27/2002 5:53 PM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/28/2002 9:15 AM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. e4xd5

Is that how you notate a pawn capturing another?

In any case, 1 down, 7 more to go ;-)

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/28/2002 10:30 AM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. e4xd5

Is that how you notate a pawn capturing another?

I think if there's only one pawn capable of taking a certain square, it's just xd5 - if there are two (see Chris' post #69 about the kNights) then you probably use just the file: exd5 as opposed to cxd5. At any rate...

4. .. Nxd5

In any case, 1 down, 7 more to go

Back atcha!

Author: psuasskicker Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/28/2002 11:06 AM
Interesting choice taking the d pawn with the knight. :-)

When capturing with a pawn, just note the file it's on. Two pawns will never be on the same file and be capable of capturing the same piece, so you don't need to include the number. As follows:

1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6

4. e4xd5

Instead of e4xd5, all you have to say is "exd5". "xd5" is also viable, but I've seen it more often used that the file is stated than not. I think this is because the file implicitly notes that the pawn is the capturing piece. Just saying "xd5" would concern some that there were possibly a typo, i.e. what if mj had wanted to capture with Nxe5, but the "N" accidentally wasn't hit and didn't show up? By noting "exd5", there is no doubt that the pawn on e is the capturing piece, not the knight.

Chris

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/28/2002 11:40 AM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. exd5 Nxd5
5. Nxd5

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 79 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/28/2002 11:56 AM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. exd5 Nxd5
5. Nxd5 exd5

Do we want running commentary here, mj? Not that I'm any kind of expert, and I can't post multiple three-move options like Chris, but there might be a learning point here for those observers so inclined. Let me know, and I'll put it in next time if so.

JT

Author: psuasskicker Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 82 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/28/2002 12:09 PM
Also observer comments? I'd be happy to make comments as would others following this game I'm sure...

But I also don't wanna overstep any bounds either.

Not much to comment on right now anyway. A couple of pawns advanced out, a very wide-open e file, and two knights off the board. This game shows nice promise into developing into a big fight in the center, but doesn't show too much differentiation ... i.e. imbalances for different sides ... at this point.

Chris

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/28/2002 12:13 PM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. exd5 Nxd5
5. Nxd5 exd5
6. Nf3

D'oh! I had one of your pawns in the wrong row. I though it was kind of odd that you would have moved to e5 not e6. I should have double checked my self. Oh well it is only one game. ;-)

Do we want running commentary here, mj? Not that I'm any kind of expert, and I can't post multiple three-move options like Chris, but there might be a learning point here for those observers so inclined. Let me know, and I'll put it in next time if so.

Any learning points for me or the lurking audience are always welcome.

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 88 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/28/2002 2:11 PM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. exd5 Nxd5
5. Nxd5 exd5
6. Nf3

The only point I was going to make was that after 5. Nxd5 exd5 Black had a space advantage (though minimal) and was more in control of the d4/d5/e4/e5 box, which in my experience is rare for Black to have this early, having moved second. By taking the action to White and daring him to take the first piece, Black was able to make two even trades and end up with a more advanced (but protectable) pawn in that center box. It may come down to style, but y'all will find that I'm kinda drawn to trading evenly, whittling down the board and making space for later assaults.

So anyhoo: 6. ... Bc5

Author: psuasskicker Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/28/2002 3:10 PM
5. Nxd5 exd5 Black had a space advantage (though minimal) and was more in control of the d4/d5/e4/e5 box, which in my experience is rare for Black to have this early, having moved second.

I almost agree with that. It is rare for black to have the space advantage, which you clearly have at this point. But I don't think you control that e4/5 and d4/5 box quite yet. e5 is clearly a weak spot right now, and I think you'll have your work cut out for you to control d4. I see it more that you've taken the first move as your own than have the space advantage...as though black had played first and white second rather than vice versa.

Ther are no real imbalances in this game yet that I can see. That will likely change in another two moves or so...it will be interesting to see how they develop.

Just my thoughts. Tell me to shut up if I'm sticking my nose in too much...

- C -

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 93 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/28/2002 3:22 PM
I almost agree with that. It is rare for black to have the space advantage, which you clearly have at this point. But I don't think you control that e4/5 and d4/5 box quite yet. e5 is clearly a weak spot right now, and I think you'll have your work cut out for you to control d4. I see it more that you've taken the first move as your own than have the space advantage...as though black had played first and white second rather than vice versa.

There are no real imbalances in this game yet that I can see. That will likely change in another two moves or so...it will be interesting to see how they develop.

Just my thoughts. Tell me to shut up if I'm sticking my nose in too much...

No, that's cool. I thought of the "took first move away" angle as well, but didn't think that was really the aim I was looking for. And I didn't really mean I was in control of the center box, just that I was a little closer to it than White. He could have evened it out by playing 6. d4, but that would have completed the "first move takeaway" by Black. As it stands, after 6. Nf6 he still has the first move, having developed a pawn and a piece to my single pawn - it took 6. ... Bc5 to even the development - now he can't move anything into d4 without dealing with the Bishop.

Man, this is awesome - I love being able to talk about the game while playing! I'm so used to playing head-to-head in person with my roommate (who's better than me, but whom I beat the last time we played, a couple weeks ago) in complete silence. This is better!

JT

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 99 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/28/2002 4:47 PM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. exd5 Nxd5
5. Nxd5 exd5
6. Nf3 Bc5
7. d4

Man, this is tough to play if you do not have a board handy, espicially while at work. It is certainly diffucult to see the field. It will just take me a while to get used to virtual games.

Boy am I rusty at chess! A few games here should help.

Author: psuasskicker Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/28/2002 5:02 PM
Good move!

I have two boards at work. :-) I play coworkers on occassion. The easiest thing is to go out and buy one of those little travel chess games (I have one from "University Games" that's great) for like five bucks. Your boss won't notice it's being played (especially if you keep it closed when you're not playing), and it allows you not to have to picture it in your head.

Chris...working on not getting fired... :-) I won't though, I've got plenty to do around here even though it looks like I'm not working (I work odd hours).

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 103 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/28/2002 5:20 PM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. exd5 Nxd5
5. Nxd5 exd5
6. Nf3 Bc5?
7. d4 Bd6

Duh. Added a ? to my last move after ... recontemplation. That, ladies and gentlemen, is why I consider myself a novice. Get too wrapped up in what I want to do, and forget to consider what the other guy might actually do. Double-duh.

Man, this is tough to play if you do not have a board handy, espicially while at work. It is certainly diffucult to see the field. It will just take me a while to get used to virtual games.

So am I cheating if I'm using a little shareware chess program on my Palm Pilot to keep track of the board? ;-) You could always keep a little penciled diagram and move the letters around, erasing as you go.

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 104 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/28/2002 6:15 PM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. exd5 Nxd5
5. Nxd5 exd5
6. Nf3 Bc5
7. d4 Bd6
8. Bg5+

I resorted to the pencil an paper approach. It will work for now. It is still confusing to keep track on a board drawn freehand. As long as I draw your pieces upside down I should remember who's got what where.

I was wondering if you saw something I did'nt when you moved to Bc5. I thought I was it deep trouble by your comments to PSU. Then light dawned follwed by a sigh of relief.

Thanks PSU for the encoragement. I need all I can get. Comments are always welcome from the peanut gallery.

Author: gahamuvo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 105 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/28/2002 6:55 PM
Recommendations: 2
I think this is the best idea for a fool board anyone has had for a while.

-gabe,
soaking up knowledge

p.s. the commentary is fantastic.

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/28/2002 6:56 PM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. exd5 Nxd5
5. Nxd5 exd5
6. Nf3 Bc5
7. d4 Bd6
8. Bg5+

You might want to take that one back - from g5 you're threatening my queen, not my king. d8 is a black square diagonal from g5, and my queen is there at the moment. Remember, the kings face each other on the same file, the same goes for the queens. It's still not a horrible move, as the knight protects the bishop from attack by the queen, but you open yourself up to having your piece chased around by pawns - the very trap I fell into with 6. ... Bc5?. So let me know if you want to change that move.

JT

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 2/28/2002 6:58 PM
I think this is the best idea for a fool board anyone has had for a while.

-gabe,
soaking up knowledge

p.s. the commentary is fantastic.

I second that on all points.

JT

Author: psuasskicker Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 111 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 9:18 AM
but you open yourself up to having your piece chased around by pawns

Not always a bad thing... mj, Don't take that comment as meaning you should keep that move. Depends on your strategy if you want to keep it or not, but JT is right, you should reconsider that move since you're not attacking the piece you thought you were...

hmmm...I feel another strategy post coming on.....

- C -

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 114 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 10:23 AM
You might want to take that one back - from g5 you're threatening my queen, not my king. d8 is a black square diagonal from g5, and my queen is there at the moment. Remember, the kings face each other on the same file, the same goes for the queens. It's still not a horrible move, as the knight protects the bishop from attack by the queen, but you open yourself up to having your piece chased around by pawns - the very trap I fell into with 6. ... Bc5?. So let me know if you want to change that move.

Oops I had both kings and queens in the wrong file on my board. I will take back that move unless you are invoking the touch rule ;-)

Thanks for the do over.

1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. exd5 Nxd5
5. Nxd5 exd5
6. Nf3 Bc5
7. d4 Bd6
8. Bb5+

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 125 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 12:34 PM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. exd5 Nxd5
5. Nxd5 exd5
6. Nf3 Bc5
7. d4 Bd6
8. Bb5+

Thanks for the do over.

Negligible perspiration. ;-)

Ok, white bringing black in check brings up a question in my mind - I know a king can't castle while he's in check, and I know he can't castle through check, but I seem to remember a rule that says he can't castle at all once he's been in check. Is that true? Obviously it's moot for this move since I can't castle now anyway, but it could make for an interesting point about making the first check early - it seems that it would be a nice thing to do if possible, as it prevents your opponent from castling later - the damage is done, even if that bishop has to retreat after being chased by a pawn. Actually now that I think about it, it does have bearing on this move, so I'll defer until I see what you guys say.

JT

Author: Clones Big red star, 1000 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 129 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 12:41 PM
Don't take this as scripture, but I found this at:

http://chess.liveonthenet.com/chess/beginner/rules/rules.html

Castling is an important move in chess. It allows a player to quickly move both the King to safety and the Rook to the center for battle. For this reason, wise players carefully guard their ability to castle and usually castle early in the game. Likewise, clever players will attempt to prevent their opponent from castling.

When castling the player moves his King two squares toward one of the player's Rooks and moves that Rook to the opposite side of the King. A player may not castle if either the King or the Rook involved have already moved. Also, the King may not castle out of, through, or into check. There must be no pieces between the King and Rook when castling.

It doesn't mention anythng about not castling after being in check as long as King and Rook haven't moved...

Anyone else???
Clones

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 130 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 12:44 PM
Ok, white bringing black in check brings up a question in my mind - I know a king can't castle while he's in check, and I know he can't castle through check, but I seem to remember a rule that says he can't castle at all once he's been in check. Is that true? Obviously it's moot for this move since I can't castle now anyway, but it could make for an interesting point about making the first check early - it seems that it would be a nice thing to do if possible, as it prevents your opponent from castling later - the damage is done, even if that bishop has to retreat after being chased by a pawn. Actually now that I think about it, it does have bearing on this move, so I'll defer until I see what you guys say.

I have never heard of a rule that if you have been placed in check that you can no longer castle. Unless of course you are forced to move either a king or rook.

Author: Clones Big red star, 1000 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 133 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 12:49 PM
About promotion:

http://www.chessvariants.com/d.chess/chess.html

Pawns that reach the last row of the board promote. When a player moves a pawn to the last row of the board, he replaces the pawn by a queen, rook, knight, or bishop (of the same color). Usually, players will promote the pawn to a queen, but the other types of pieces are also allowed. (It is not required that the pawn is promoted to a piece taken. Thus, it is for instance possible that a player has at a certain moment two queens.)

And from the same link about castling:

The following conditions must be met:

The king that makes the castling move has not yet moved in the game.
The rook that makes the castling move has not yet moved in the game.
The king is not in check.
The king does not move over a square that is attacked by an enemy piece during the castling move, i.e., when castling, there may not be an enemy piece that can move (in case of pawns: by diagonal movement) to a square that is moved over by the king.
The king does not move to a square that is attacked by an enemy piece during the castling move, i.e., you may not castle and end the move with the king in check.
All squares between the rook and king before the castling move are empty.
The King and rook must occupy the same rank (or row).

Hope these help a smidge,
Clones

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 1:03 PM
Kudos to Clones, the resident research magnate! Thanks for the info man, I guess I'm deluded about that "no-castle-after-check" rule. Cool, now I know what I can do vs. mj...

JT

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 138 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 1:07 PM
JT,

I may have been a wrinkle someone added to make the game more interesting while playing 1-on-1.

Mark

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 139 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 1:25 PM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. exd5 Nxd5
5. Nxd5 exd5
6. Nf3 Bc5
7. d4 Bd6
8. Bb5+

I may have been a wrinkle someone added to make the game more interesting while playing 1-on-1.

Yeah, like a handicap or something I guess. Anyway, on we go!

8. ... c6

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 150 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 2:44 PM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. exd5 Nxd5
5. Nxd5 exd5
6. Nf3 Bc5
7. d4 Bd6
8. Bb5+ c6
9. Bd3

Sometimes a simple check is enough to disrupts one's attack plan. ;-)

Seeing the table post made me think that it may be possible to create a chessboard using letters and numbers. Then using the notations combinded with the table may make the games easier to follow for casual readers. I will do some experimenting, unless some other soul is looking to procrastinate at work.

Author: gahamuvo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 152 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 2:52 PM
I will do some experimenting, unless some other soul is looking to procrastinate at work.
-------

hmm.

i saw someone somewhere else on the boards used some lines (vert. and horiz.) from the windows character map c&p'd into a post to make a very nice table, 2X2. if we could make one like a chessboard, we could just c&p it from each other's posts, kinda like animators do to make a cartoon. 1 small change at a time. i'll see about it when i get home unless someone beats me to it.

with that, we could use a different notation...perhaps for example "WK" for white knight, and the move should be obvious. of course we could still run notation alongside, for records.

Author: Clones Big red star, 1000 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 3:02 PM
Recommendations: 4
 7|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|
  |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
 6|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|
 5|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|
 4|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|
 3|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|
  | p | p | p | p | p | p | p | p |
 2|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|
  | R | N | B | Q | K | B | N | R |
 1|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|
    A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H

|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|
  | a6| b6| c6| d6| e6| f6| g6| h6|
  | a5| b5| c5| d5| e5| f5| g5| h5|
  | a4| b4| c4| d4| e4| f4| g4| h4|
  | a3| b3| c3| d3| e3| f3| g3| h3|
  | a2| b2| c2| d2| e2| f2| g2| h2|
  | a1| b1| c1| d1| e1| f1| g1| h1|

How're these??

feel free to cut and paste as you wish.

Can't wait for 5 o'clock,
Clones

Author: rinjr715 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 156 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 3:07 PM
The N's look the same upside down, so they could get confusing. Maybe you should choose something else for the knights.

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 160 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 3:18 PM
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
A B C D E F G H

would work ok except you can't distinguish the colors. So I offer this:

| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
| Wp| Wp| Wp| Wp| Wp| Wp| Wp| Wp|
| WR| WN| WB| WQ| WK| WB| WN| WR|
A B C D E F G H

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 161 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 3:23 PM
Of course I have to remember to use the table feature.  D'Oh!

try this:

Hopefully, everyone here will not confuse WR for a discussion on 77's board ;-)

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 162 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 3:24 PM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. exd5 Nxd5
5. Nxd5 exd5
6. Nf3 Bc5
7. d4 Bd6
8. Bb5+ c6
9. Bd3 c5

Seeing the table post made me think that it may be possible to create a chessboard using letters and numbers. Then using the notations combinded with the table may make the games easier to follow for casual readers.

Give it a shot, let's see what it looks like.

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 163 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 3:30 PM
I thought of making the black pieces bold but then remembered that italics and bold doesn't come through the cut'n'paste - it would suck to add those tags to every black piece every time.  So I like mj's:

Author: psuasskicker Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 164 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 3:31 PM
9. Bd3 leads to 9. ... exd3 mj, I don't know if you saw that or not.

Clones, very excellent, problem is that it doesn't cut and paste well. We may have to use scripts to do it...

I'm fine with notation when I play because I have chess boards wherever I have access to a computer. So I would say we could do both...post the "virtual board", as well as post the movements by notation.

Clones, that post is for sure going into my FAQ sheet noting where pieces start the game and the notation of the boards (a - h and 1 - 8). Very well done!

- C -

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 165 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 3:33 PM
Ooh, there's something to think about when using the table data option - looks like long text strings don't wrap - we'd have to confine posts to "discussion-only" or "board-only". Or watch what we type in posts with a board and add manual carriage returns.

JT

Author: psuasskicker Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 166 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 3:33 PM

Ignore this drivel, I am an idiot...

Author: psuasskicker Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 167 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 3:35 PM
Ooh, there's something to think about when using the table data option - looks like long text strings don't wrap - we'd have to confine posts to "discussion-only" or "board-only". Or watch what we type in posts with a board and add manual carriage returns.

Actually, what we could do is post a new virtual board every three to five moves...then have discussion around that...

- C - (killing my rec:post ratio!!! but not caring cause it's so much fun)

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 168 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 3:35 PM
Ignore this drivel, I am an idiot...

Hmmm, just as I was furtively studying my board trying to figure it out. That's cool, when he first posted the move, I moved his piece to c4 by mistake, and was about to go 9. ... dxc4 - then I realized I had it wrong. This sure takes diligent proofreading and copy editing!

JT

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 171 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 3:44 PM

I can certainly it leading to exd4 if I did not take it first with dxc5. It would take 2 moves to capture the Bishop. But the Bishop could be in a another position.

Author: Clones Big red star, 1000 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 173 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 3:50 PM
 8|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|

I like it.  Hadn't thought far enough ahead to actual play.

Clones

Author: Clones Big red star, 1000 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 175 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 3:55 PM
problem is that it doesn't cut and paste well.

If you make sure you have the Table Data box at the bottom checked, it should paste ok.

I like having the algebraic notation, so I can learn to use it. But we could do both notation and the table, so others can follow along with the game without having to memorize every board or having a board set up for every game.

Also, mj and JT, sorry we're doing this in the middle of your game thread! I should have posted those in a new thread.

Clones

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 3:56 PM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. exd5 Nxd5
5. Nxd5 exd5
6. Nf3 Bc5
7. d4 Bd6
8. Bb5+ c6
9. Bd3 c5
10. Be2

Author: Clones Big red star, 1000 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 178 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 4:00 PM
(killing my rec:post ratio!!! but not caring cause it's so much fun)

That may be, but I rec anything that makes me smile or laugh as well of things that I find interesting. Yep, I'm one of the ones who gives recs fairly freely. I think of it as a thanks for the humor or insight or information or effort.

So don't be surprised by all the recs here on posts that may not be mind blowing in their information, that's just what I do. I like giving them, and people like getting them, so I say why not share the love. (When I'm travelling on dial-up connections and reccing a post takes 20 seconds I'm not quite as free with them.)

Spread the love I say! :)
Clones

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 186 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 4:26 PM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. exd5 Nxd5
5. Nxd5 exd5
6. Nf3 Bc5
7. d4 Bd6
8. Bb5+ c6
9. Bd3 c5
10. Be2 0-0

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 193 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 5:09 PM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. exd5 Nxd5
5. Nxd5 exd5
6. Nf3 Bc5
7. d4 Bd6
8. Bb5+ c6
9. Bd3 c5
10. Be2 0-0
11. 0-0

Just to confirm with you JT, I have your King at g8 and rook at f8.

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 194 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 5:23 PM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. exd5 Nxd5
5. Nxd5 exd5
6. Nf3 Bc5
7. d4 Bd6
8. Bb5+ c6
9. Bd3 c5
10. Be2 0-0
11. 0-0 cxd4

Just to confirm with you JT, I have your King at g8 and rook at f8.

Roger that, and yours are mirroring mine on the 1 rank.

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 5:32 PM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. exd5 Nxd5
5. Nxd5 exd5
6. Nf3 Bc5
7. d4 Bd6
8. Bb5+ c6
9. Bd3 c5
10. Be2 0-0
11. 0-0 cxd4
12. Nxd4

Thanks. I just want to make sure I wrote it correctly on my sheet.

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 197 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/1/2002 6:09 PM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. exd5 Nxd5
5. Nxd5 exd5
6. Nf3 Bc5
7. d4 Bd6
8. Bb5+ c6
9. Bd3 c5
10. Be2 0-0
11. 0-0 cxd4
12. Nxd4 Bxh2+

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 211 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/2/2002 11:38 AM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. exd5 Nxd5
5. Nxd5 exd5
6. Nf3 Bc5
7. d4 Bd6
8. Bb5+ c6
9. Bd3 c5
10. Be2 0-0
11. 0-0 cxd4
12. Nxd4 Bxh2+
13. Kxh2

I am not sure I agree with your last move, but if you trade a bishop for a pawn I will take it.

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 339 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/4/2002 11:19 AM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. exd5 Nxd5
5. Nxd5 exd5
6. Nf3 Bc5
7. d4 Bd6
8. Bb5+ c6
9. Bd3 c5
10. Be2 0-0
11. 0-0 cxd4
12. Nxd4 Bxh2+
13. Kxh2 Qh4+

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 341 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/4/2002 11:52 AM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. exd5 Nxd5
5. Nxd5 exd5
6. Nf3 Bc5
7. d4 Bd6
8. Bb5+ c6
9. Bd3 c5
10. Be2 0-0
11. 0-0 cxd4
12. Nxd4 Bxh2+
13. Kxh2 Qh4+
14. Kg1

The witch is out and she's out for blood!

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 358 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/4/2002 12:52 PM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. exd5 Nxd5
5. Nxd5 exd5
6. Nf3 Bc5
7. d4 Bd6
8. Bb5+ c6
9. Bd3 c5
10. Be2 0-0
11. 0-0 cxd4
12. Nxd4 Bxh2+
13. Kxh2 Qh4+
14. Kg1

I guess I could've followed Chris' advice on the "only one legal move" thing, but I posted this move before I got to his post. Anyhoo...

14. ... Re8

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 362 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/4/2002 12:59 PM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. exd5 Nxd5
5. Nxd5 exd5
6. Nf3 Bc5
7. d4 Bd6
8. Bb5+ c6
9. Bd3 c5
10. Be2 0-0
11. 0-0 cxd4
12. Nxd4 Bxh2+
13. Kxh2 Qh4+
14. Kg1 Re8
15. Nf3

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 368 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/4/2002 1:17 PM
1. e4 Nf6
2. d3 d5
3. Nc3 e6
4. exd5 Nxd5
5. Nxd5 exd5
6. Nf3 Bc5
7. d4 Bd6
8. Bb5+ c6
9. Bd3 c5
10. Be2 0-0
11. 0-0 cxd4
12. Nxd4 Bxh2+
13. Kxh2 Qh4+
14. Kg1 Re8
15. Nf3 Qh5

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 376 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/4/2002 1:36 PM
1. e4 Nf6 2. d3 d5 3. Nc3 e6 4. exd5 Nxd5 5. Nxd5 exd5
6. Nf3 Bc5 7. d4 Bd6 8. Bb5+ c6 9. Bd3 c5 10. Be2 0-0
11. 0-0 cxd4
12. Nxd4 Bxh2+
13. Kxh2 Qh4+
14. Kg1 Re8
15. Nf3 Qh5
16. Nh2

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 382 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/4/2002 1:46 PM
11. 0-0 cxd4
12. Nxd4 Bxh2+
13. Kxh2 Qh4+
14. Kg1 Re8
15. Nf3 Qh5
16. Nh2 Rxe2

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 392 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/4/2002 2:30 PM
11. 0-0 cxd4
12. Nxd4 Bxh2+
13. Kxh2 Qh4+
14. Kg1 Re8
15. Nf3 Qh5
16. Nh2 Rxe2
17. nf3

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 395 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/4/2002 3:37 PM
11. 0-0 cxd4 12. Nxd4 Bxh2+ 13. Kxh2 Qh4+ 14. Kg1 Re8
15. Nf3 Qh5
16. Nh2 Rxe2
17. Nf3 Re4

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 396 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/4/2002 3:56 PM
15. Nf3 Qh5
16. Nh2 Rxe2
17. Nf3 Re4
18. Be3

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 397 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/4/2002 4:13 PM
15. Nf3 Qh5
16. Nh2 Rxe2
17. Nf3 Re4
18. Be3 Bg4

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 398 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/4/2002 5:43 PM
15. Nf3 Qh5
16. Nh2 Rxe2
17. Nf3 Re4
18. Be3 Bg4
19. Re1

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 400 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/4/2002 5:52 PM
15. Nf3 Qh5
16. Nh2 Rxe2
17. Nf3 Re4
18. Be3 Bg4
19. Re1 Bxf3

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 415 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/5/2002 9:39 AM
15. Nf3 Qh5
16. Nh2 Rxe2
17. Nf3 Re4
18. Be3 Bg4
19. Re1 Bxf3
20. Qd3

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 417 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/5/2002 12:32 PM
15. Nf3 Qh5
16. Nh2 Rxe2
17. Nf3 Re4
18. Be3 Bg4
19. Re1 Bxf3
20. Qd3 Rh4

And the silent struggle continues... ;-)

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 420 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/5/2002 1:34 PM
15. Nf3 Qh5
16. Nh2 Rxe2
17. Nf3 Re4
18. Be3 Bg4
19. Re1 Bxf3
20. Qd3 Rh4
21. Re8+

I apologize for the silence. I only have a few brief minutes to make a move during the day. So i have been focusing on my strategy.

It seems to have paid off. ;-) I think I have checkmate but I want to double check to see if you see any other move to get out of check.

Author: psuasskicker Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 423 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/5/2002 1:52 PM
Some comments on what I see thus far...

6. ... Bc5 was a bit of a wasted move. Better to get the bishop out would be 6. ... Bc6 as black has no hope to control the d4 square and should focus on controlling the e5 square if he wants to control any of the central squares.

10. Be2 looks like a wasted move to me. I don't really see why it was done when it could have been done the move before. Perhaps a miss in 9. Bd3, but it would have been better to continue developing other pieces. This basically gave black a free move.

12. ... Bxh2 is way too optimistic. The theory was to clear out the h pawn to get to the king. IMO it's too early in the game to make such a sac, and white should be able to develop around the extra piece.

16. Nh2? gives the material advantage white had back to black, who will now hold the material advantage (with an extra pawn). Better would have been 16. Re1 or 16. Be3 or 16. Bb5 or any other move that starts developing the pieces. I like 16. Re1 the best as moving the bishop forces either a rook trade or for black to relinquish control of the e file. Black's entire reason for sac'ing the bishop was to get that file open so his rook could get down it with his queen. He needs speed to do this, and with his other rook buried behind his queenside bishop and knight, the time difference would have likely been enough for white to take complete advantage of the material advantage.

Interesting game...turning into a real barroom brawl. :-)

Chris

Author: psuasskicker Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 425 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/5/2002 1:54 PM
And of course I missed checkmate...

I always miss something. This is why it will take me years to get to a half decent level in this game...

:-)

Chris

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 432 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/5/2002 2:24 PM
15. Nf3 Qh5
16. Nh2 Rxe2
17. Nf3 Re4
18. Be3 Bg4
19. Re1 Bxf3
20. Qd3 Rh4
21. Re8+

That would be checkmate (noted by a ++, just so ya know), but I think we've got a miscommunication - the way I've got my board your black-square bishop from 18. Be3 is still on e3, which is in the rook's way of going to e8. I double-checked the thread going back, and it all checks. I'm not sure how you're visually keeping track of our board, but maybe you bumped it to a different square accidentally? The bummer part is that for however long you had that bishop on a different square, your strategy was predicated on it not being there, and you probably would have done something different, had you realized it was still there.

Unfortunately, the way it stands, after 20. Qd3, I have checkmate in two or three moves, depending on what you might do:

20. ... Rh4
21. Kf1 Rh1++
or
21. gxf3 Rh1+
22. Kg2 Qh2++

The move that would have prevented it was 20. Qxf3, prompting a queen trade and getting even for the knight I took with 19. ... Bxf3. That gives the king a place to run, but with my bishop on f3, he's trapped on the 1 rank.

Of course, all the above is assuming that you actually did misplace your e3 bishop along the way, and I'm not going crazy. I'm fine with calling this one a draw, since you most likely would've taken that bishop and traded queens if you knew your e rook was blocked, and that would've left us both with breathing room, black up a pawn (decidedly not an insurmountable advantage, especially with black's d5 pawn being isolated. As an alternative to calling it a draw, we can play from 20. Qxf3 (and replacing the white bishop on e3, leaving the white rook at e1 - I'll post a board on the next post) and see where that takes us. I'll leave it up to you.

JT

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 434 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/5/2002 2:32 PM
State of the board (according to my accounting) after 19. Re1 Bxf3

---------------------------------
1 |   | WK|   | WR| WQ|   |   | WR|
2 |   | Wp| Wp|   |   | Wp| Wp| Wp|
3 |   |   | B | WB|   |   |   |   |
4 |   |   |   | R |   |   |   |   |
5 | Q |   |   |   | p |   |   |   |
6 |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
7 | p | p | p |   |   |   | p | p |
8 |   | K |   |   |   |   | N | R |
    h   g   f   e   d   c   b   a

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 435 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/5/2002 2:32 PM
Oh, and no worries about the silence - I was doing the same thing, just trying to concentrate on the strategy.

JT

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 436 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/5/2002 3:08 PM
State of the board (according to my accounting) after 19. Re1 Bxf3

2 |   | Wp| Wp|   |   | Wp| Wp| Wp|
3 |   |   | B | WB|   |   |   |   |
4 |   |   |   | R |   |   |   |   |

Sorry for the mistake.  Though I moved on this board, I did not wirte it down.  Somehow I knew it was too good to be true. It would have been too easy. We can pick up from my move #20.

So here is goes:
15. Nf3 Qh5 
16. Nh2 Rxe2 
17. Nf3 Re4 
18. Be3 Bg4 
19. Re1 Bxf3 
20. gxf3

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 441 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/5/2002 6:43 PM
1 | | WK| | WR| WQ| | | WR|
2 | | | Wp| | | Wp| Wp| Wp|
3 | | | Wp| WB| | | | |
4 | R | | | | | | | |
5 | Q | | | | p | | | |
6 | | | | | | | | |
7 | p | p | p | | | | p | p |
8 | | K | | | | | N | R |
h g f e d c b a

15. Nf3 Qh5
16. Nh2 Rxe2
17. Nf3 Re4
18. Be3 Bg4
19. Re1 Bxf3
20. gxf3 Rh4

Author: gahamuvo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 442 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/5/2002 6:46 PM
table data!

table data!

-gabe ;)

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 444 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/5/2002 7:08 PM
table data!

table data!

Damn! ;-)

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 445 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/5/2002 7:11 PM
Take two:

2 |   |   | Wp|   |   | Wp| Wp| Wp|
3 |   |   | Wp| WB|   |   |   |   |
4 | R |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |

15. Nf3 Qh5 
16. Nh2 Rxe2 
17. Nf3 Re4 
18. Be3 Bg4 
19. Re1 Bxf3 
20. gxf3 Rh4

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 500 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/6/2002 9:44 AM
Take two:

1 |   |   | WK| WR| WQ|   |   | WR|

15. Nf3 Qh5 
16. Nh2 Rxe2 
17. Nf3 Re4 
18. Be3 Bg4 
19. Re1 Bxf3 
20. gxf3 Rh4
21. Kf1

This is turn out to be a pretty good game.  My mistake have not hurt me that much, yet.
I am holding my own for now.

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 510 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/6/2002 3:06 PM
I just realized with my last move I snagged a milestone post -- #500.

Maybe I need to pay closer attention next time.

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 511 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/6/2002 3:15 PM
6 |   |   |   |   |   | N |   |   |
8 |   | K |   |   |   |   |   | R |

15. Nf3 Qh5 
16. Nh2 Rxe2 
17. Nf3 Re4 
18. Be3 Bg4 
19. Re1 Bxf3 
20. gxf3 Rh4
21. Kf1 Nc6

>>This is turn out to be a pretty good game.<<

It certainly is!  Lots of open space, like I like.

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 512 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/6/2002 3:18 PM
I just realized with my last move I snagged a milestone post -- #500.

Niiiiiice! But the 000's are the ones ya gotta really watch out for...

JT

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 516 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/6/2002 5:42 PM
3 |   |   | Wp|   |   |   |   |   |
5 | Q |   |   |   | p | WB|   |   |
6 |   |   |   |   |   | N |   |   |

15. Nf3 Qh5 
16. Nh2 Rxe2 
17. Nf3 Re4 
18. Be3 Bg4 
19. Re1 Bxf3 
20. gxf3 Rh4
21. Kf1 Nc6
22. Bc5

Playing with the board in the post is helluva lot easier!

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 519 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/6/2002 7:47 PM
1 | | | WK| WR| WQ| | | WR|
2 | | | Wp| | | Wp| Wp| Wp|
3 | | | Wp| | | | | |
4 | R | | | | | | | |
5 | Q | | | | p | WB| | |
6 | | | | | | N | p | |
7 | p | p | p | | | | | p |
8 | | K | | | | | | R |
h g f e d c b a

15. Nf3 Qh5
16. Nh2 Rxe2
17. Nf3 Re4
18. Be3 Bg4
19. Re1 Bxf3
20. gxf3 Rh4
21. Kf1 Nc6
22. Bc5 b6

Yeah, it is nice having the board in the thread - no more looking at my Palm just to see where everything's at!

JT

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 521 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/6/2002 7:53 PM
Did it again - damn!

6 |   |   |   |   |   | N | p |   |
7 | p | p | p |   |   |   |   | p |

15. Nf3 Qh5 
16. Nh2 Rxe2 
17. Nf3 Re4 
18. Be3 Bg4 
19. Re1 Bxf3 
20. gxf3 Rh4
21. Kf1 Nc6
22. Bc5 b6

Playing with the board in the post is helluva lot easier!

Yeah it is, no more having to look at my Palm to see where everything's at!

JT

Author: rinjr715 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 522 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/6/2002 8:17 PM
Lookin' good, JTrain! Looks like you have the upper hand.

Author: cnfrost Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 524 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/6/2002 8:23 PM
hey JT....regarding putting those diagrams in your posts....since when do chess boards have 9 files?

Author: cnfrost Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 525 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/6/2002 8:25 PM
Recommendations: 4
made ya look

;)

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 526 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/6/2002 8:29 PM
Lookin' good, JTrain! Looks like you have the upper hand.

Thanks, RinJr! I feel pretty good about my chances at the moment - it wasn't long ago I was thinking the opposite...

JT

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 527 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/6/2002 8:30 PM
made ya look

You most certainly did - got a good laugh out of me when I came back and saw your next post after wondering what in the heck you were seeing that I wasn't! Deserved a rec, that did.

JT

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 544 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/7/2002 9:31 AM
6 |   |   |   |   |   | N | p |   |

15. Nf3 Qh5 
16. Nh2 Rxe2 
17. Nf3 Re4 
18. Be3 Bg4 
19. Re1 Bxf3 
20. gxf3 Rh4
21. Kf1 Nc6
22. Bc5 b6
23. Bd6

I can concentrate better with the board in the post.  One thing I do to
make sure I have the table data checked is to use the preview reply.

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 550 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/7/2002 10:55 AM
4 | R |   |   |   | N |   |   |   |
6 |   |   |   |   | WB|   | p |   |

15. Nf3 Qh5 
16. Nh2 Rxe2 
17. Nf3 Re4 
18. Be3 Bg4 
19. Re1 Bxf3 
20. gxf3 Rh4
21. Kf1 Nc6
22. Bc5 b6
23. Bd6

You put move 23 in the notation but didn't change it on the board - I
updated it for ya.  You've got me worried - what do you see that I
don't see?  Why are you pointing your bishop at (as far as I can see)
unimportant squares?  Hmmmm...  Well, at any rate,

23. ... Nd4

Author: Clones Big red star, 1000 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 551 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/7/2002 11:27 AM
JT: Did it again - damn!

Hey no spamming! This isn't the GMS board. ;)

Clones

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 552 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/7/2002 11:27 AM
1 |   |   | WK| WR|   |   |   | WR|
4 | R |   |   |   | WQ|   |   |   |

15. Nf3 Qh5 
16. Nh2 Rxe2 
17. Nf3 Re4 
18. Be3 Bg4 
19. Re1 Bxf3 
20. gxf3 Rh4
21. Kf1 Nc6
22. Bc5 b6
23. Bd6 Nd4
24. Qxd4

Nice job with leaving with only one move that does not lead to mate. Sorry about the board, I walked away and came back and thought I already had the board updated.

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 554 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/7/2002 12:02 PM
4 |   |   |   |   | R |   |   |   |

15. Nf3 Qh5 
16. Nh2 Rxe2 
17. Nf3 Re4 
18. Be3 Bg4 
19. Re1 Bxf3 
20. gxf3 Rh4
21. Kf1 Nc6
22. Bc5 b6
23. Bd6 Nd4
24. Qxd4 Rxd4

Nice job with leaving with only one move that does not lead to mate.

Thanks man.  I feel pretty good about most of my moves and not having
missed anything really obvious, like I usually do.  Now if I can just
keep it up...

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 555 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/7/2002 12:26 PM
1 |   |   |   | WR|   |   |   | WR|
2 |   |   | Wp|WK |   | Wp| Wp| Wp|

15. Nf3 Qh5 
16. Nh2 Rxe2 
17. Nf3 Re4 
18. Be3 Bg4 
19. Re1 Bxf3 
20. gxf3 Rh4
21. Kf1 Nc6
22. Bc5 b6
23. Bd6 Nd4
24. Qxd4 Rxd4
25. Ke2

I will survive! It is a matter of outwitting and outlasting.  ;-)

I feel like a soccer player in playing for the tie. :-P

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 556 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/7/2002 12:56 PM

15. Nf3 Qh5 
16. Nh2 Rxe2 
17. Nf3 Re4 
18. Be3 Bg4 
19. Re1 Bxf3 
20. gxf3 Rh4
21. Kf1 Nc6
22. Bc5 b6
23. Bd6 Nd4
24. Qxd4 Rxd4
25. Ke2

I will survive! It is a matter of outwitting and outlasting.  ;-)

I feel like a soccer player in playing for the tie. :-P

<Haley Joel Osment>
I see dead people - they don't know they're dead...
</HJO>

So if I can be presumptuous enough to use the "if there's only one
legal move then note it and move again" rule, I think it's over:
25. ... Re8+  
8 |   | K |   | R |   |   |   |   |
The rooks control e3 and d1-d3, leaving as the only legal move:
26. Kf1
Upon further inspection, another legal move would be to interpose the
bishop with 26. Be5, but that would have been followed by 26. ... Rxe5,
leaving white in the same position and having to go 27. Kf1 after all.
Either way, the coup de grace:
26. ... Qh1++
1 | Q |   | WK| WR|   |   |   | WR|
5 |   |   |   |   | p |   |   |   |

I don't think I've missed anything, but I could always be wrong.
Double-check me mj, and if all is well, I must say, great game!  Full
of all kinds of good learning material.  I might try to post a recap
with comments a la psu vs. Clones, but I'm not sure how much of a
chance I'll get, since work is pretty busy today.  If you'd like to
take a stab at it, go for it, and maybe I'll post a follow-up with
my comments, or another complete recap.  We'll see how the day
progresses.

Again, great game!
JT

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 557 of 9208
Subject: Re: mjdonadio vs. JTrain Date: 3/7/2002 1:32 PM
I don't think I've missed anything, but I could always be wrong.
Double-check me mj, and if all is well, I must say, great game! Full
of all kinds of good learning material. I might try to post a recap
with comments a la psu vs. Clones, but I'm not sure how much of a
chance I'll get, since work is pretty busy today. If you'd like to
take a stab at it, go for it, and maybe I'll post a follow-up with
my comments, or another complete recap. We'll see how the day
progresses.

Again, great game!
JT

I agree with your moves. Great game! I had to overcome some heavy rust, hand drawing a board to keep track and lack of concentration due to work. I can only get better from here. ;-)

I don't have time to recap right now. I will attempt later today. If any of the other enthusiasts would like to offer opinions on the match, please feel free.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (109) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement