UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RainbowRider Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 31113  
Subject: Mmmmmm -- Broccoli Date: 5/31/2005 9:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Five or six weeks ago I planted six broccoli starts that I found at Lowe's (variety sadly unknown at this point). I planted them in a large planter that served me well last year for tomatoes. It is a reservoir-type planter.

Yesterday I harvested my first head of amazingly sweet and tender broccoli. Steamed it briefly with some garlic and dressed it with a bit of olive oil and butter. I like store-bought broccoli just fine, but I have to admit that this was special.

Don't know if it was the (unknown) variety or just the organic freshness of it all (less than 30 minutes from the plant to the plate), but Oh Boy!

I have a few other first-time trials going in container-veggie growing this season. I'll let you know how the rest do. Last year's attempts with tomatoes, lettuce, and spinach were so good that I am doing them again. Last year's attempts at mini carrots and baby beets were not particularly successful; perhaps another year with a different variety. . .

Regards and happy gardening,

Rider
(Zone 6)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18048 of 31113
Subject: Re: Mmmmmm -- Broccoli Date: 6/2/2005 12:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Don't forget to harvest the side shoots. They will give you smaller florets, but just as tasty.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement