Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Good Day Fools!

I am in the process of starting IRA's for my wife and I. I currently have a Traditional IRA set-up, but am over the income limit to take a deduction or convert it to a ROTH.

Our combined AGI is veeeery close to the $150,000 limit for full contributions to a ROTH, but in reading the instructions on page 2 of IRS Form 8606 under "Contributions" it says "Use the Maximum Roth IRA Contribution Worksheet below.... If you are married filing jointly complete worksheet seperately for you and your spouse."

Am I to compare our individual incomes against the $160,000 figure when calculating IRA contributions for each of us (i.e. a potential combined income limit of $320,000)?

If so, does the same Modified AGI rule apply for Traditional IRAs? Is it possible that my wife qualifies for a Traditional IRA deduction even if I don't? Her income only accounts for about $37,000 of our combined AGI.

I have a non-contributory profit sharing plan at work, and she participates in a 401k at hers. I just want to make sure I open the best choice IRA for each of us.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Russ Schoemer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.