UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (53) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 737393  
Subject: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/20/2006 8:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 14
Well! Now that 1HF has made a glancing appearance (with his bio-fuels), we find that FIRE folk do a lot of amazing things. I mean, look at tele and his accordions and Peak Oil. catmeyoo and her games and books, not to mention people avoidance (I need lessons). fleg and his golf avoidance (hey! he went to Australia to get away). intercst - hard to tell. Hope he's happy with the recent elections, even though he wouldn't know a chickenhawk if it bit off his face. LD and her dawgs. RV and jtmitch and their mountains. Art and his deer to cut up. 2828 and his geraniums and Ice House (does he feed Ice House to geraniums?), Daryll40, MichaelRead (well, yeah! Mr. Salmon), andrew61-happy in Chicago, workwayless, catmeyoo and her games, OC and her low mileage, tmeri - won't tell us nothing .

And the wanabees - ziggy just wants to sell his house, decath wants another glass of pinot noir (kidding!), AOLFoolman100 looking for chicks (that's not a viable FIRE goal - just sayin'), Evelynk looking for the perfect job to get her to FIRE, MP - thinking about it (as long as wine is involved - hey! I'm there!), ravvt, bighairymike (BOT), FoolNBlue, ataloss (FIRE already), JLC - heh! He could FIRE tomorrow, .

Some of you guys - just can't remember or tell - OldOne, ascenzm, vickifool - think so, MadCapitalist, bosslady52 (though NUI - right?), Sneakpuff (sort of), SP (sort of - waffle <g>), Howie52, markr33, patchdodd, pedorrero, buffalogal100, Thurst, sykesix, Hunzi, lowstudent, AdvocatusDiaboli, tjscott0, Jim2B.

Newbies - Gingko100 - interesting. Not PA as far as I can tell. That's a good thing.

OK - I forgot lots of people. But what's your passions when you retire. It might not be the same when you get there. Hint. I never heard of rehabbing birds until after FIREing. Life is a learning process. That's what makes it so much fun.

arrete
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MadCapitalist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319203 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/20/2006 8:59 PM
Recommendations: 23
Some of you guys - just can't remember or tell - OldOne, ascenzm, vickifool - think so, MadCapitalist, bosslady52 (though NUI - right?), Sneakpuff (sort of), SP (sort of - waffle <g>), Howie52, markr33, patchdodd, pedorrero, buffalogal100, Thurst, sykesix, Hunzi, lowstudent, AdvocatusDiaboli, tjscott0, Jim2B.

The details of my life are quite inconsequential. Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319205 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/20/2006 9:08 PM
Recommendations: 4

The details of my life are quite inconsequential. Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

MadCapitalist

What a breath-taking coincidence – you described my life to a tee. Synchronicity, wow!!

MichaelR

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319206 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/20/2006 9:09 PM
Recommendations: 0
The details of my life are quite inconsequential. Very well, where do I begin?
-------------------------
Er, maybe you should report to MP about your wine intake. <g>

arrete - I hope it's red. Good stuff!

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319208 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/20/2006 9:30 PM

I've had 3-4 glasses of Cabernet Savignon, and I still lucidly recognize exactly where this monologue was taken from.....

Anyone want to guess??

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319210 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/20/2006 9:44 PM
Recommendations: 1
Actually studying about near death experiences, death bed visions, and the holographic universe have become my #1 passion since I've retired. Since my back and hips have pretty much quit on me I'm not as active as I used to be. I still swim quite a bit, but it's not so much laps as just floating around the pool.

Art

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319211 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/20/2006 9:45 PM
AOLFoolman100 looking for chicks (that's not a viable FIRE goal - just sayin'),

Hey arrete, I rarely accuse people of sexism...... but can you not imagine my dating life as "Anna Nicole Smith" in gender reverse???

Not that I'm seeking 95 year old widows with a $10 million estates left to them by husband Walter, but where I live.....

Author: catmeyoo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319212 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/20/2006 9:50 PM
Recommendations: 6
The details of my life are quite inconsequential

That's Dr. Evil --Austin Powers -- I found it in google using the following line: "At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles.

That's the only line that sounded familiar, probabably because I had to study Zoroastrianism (or whatever) in a comparative religion course once.

On my list of passions games might rate somewhere around #14, and are more a diversion than anything else. I definitely need a break from my passions once in a while and then I go back refreshed and realize all over again how much these things mean to me.

Books and music are my two top lifetime passions and they have never lost their appeal and I don't expect they ever will. As my mother's practical child, I managed to combine them in my educational and work life by majoring in music and theater and yet save myself from the temptations of a bohemian life by becoming a librarian and managing the art and music department of a metropolitan library for many years. Doesn't that sound better than playing in a lounge until all hours of the night and being bleary eyed the next morning, or on the concert stage (yawn), or trying to teach children, most of whom have no real talent for it, how to play an instrument. Of course finding that one student with a spark of genius might make it worth it some days. I did do little theater professionally in Denver for a couple years and loved that (plays are such lively books) but it was too heady and I probably would have gotten into big trouble fast and might be dead by now. At the very least I would be wearing flowing capes and gossamer gowns, painting my eyelids blue and writing steamy memoirs. Much too extroverted.

I did take a pretty much 20-year break from my passions while I was raising my son, who became my overwhelming passion through those years, but now I have all kinds of hours to make up for it. Doing just that and then going outside and taking in the "infinite calm of the plains" and the enormous sky is thrilling. I read this sentence today in an NPR series and copied it down because it is how I feel about where I live sometimes.

'By now she knew that this life, despite all its pain, could be lived, that one must travel through it slowly; passing from the sunset to the penetrating odor of the stalks; from the infinite calm of the plain to the singing of a bird lost in the sky; yes, going from the sky to that deep reflection of it that she felt within her own breast, as an alert and living presence.' --Andre Makine, Dreams of My Russian Summers

It was chose by novelist Gwendolyn Brooks as a favorite sentence. I guess the plains are passion #3, and I continue to discover things I love about it, and the Bay Area, especially San Francisco, is passion #4. They switch back and forth but 3 is winning right now. And I can't forget rain— definitely a passion. In fact weather altogether has become a passion and I spend a lot of time watching it and thinking about it.

--catmeyoo

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319214 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/20/2006 10:02 PM
And the wanabees - ziggy just wants to sell his house, decath wants another glass of pinot noir (kidding!), AOLFoolman100 looking for chicks (that's not a viable FIRE goal - just sayin')

Yep, the wrong woman/man could derail the FIRE plans for a FIRE seeking person. My last girlfriend had a grand total of $10,000 in savings, a $3,000 annual car payment and a resume that showed an average job tenure of two years. She did seem to be frugal, which was a point in her favor.

Evelynk looking for the perfect job to get her to FIRE, MP - thinking about it (as long as wine is involved - hey! I'm there!), ravvt, bighairymike (BOT), FoolNBlue, ataloss (FIRE already), JLC - heh! He could FIRE tomorrow, .

Newbies - Gingko100 - interesting. Not PA as far as I can tell. That's a good thing.

OK - I forgot lots of people. But what's your passions when you retire. It might not be the same when you get there. Hint. I never heard of rehabbing birds until after FIREing. Life is a learning process. That's what makes it so much fun.

arrete

When I retire, I'd like to do more reading, improve my cooking skills, explore the world of wine (right now, I'm into drinking tutone style craft beers), do more hiking and start doing some bicycling on all the nice rails to trails in my area. Soon, bicyclists will be able to cycle from Pittsburgh to DC all on trails.

I'm sure when I retire, I'll figure out even more activites to keep me occupied.

Mike

P.S. The DC area is loaded with great privately owned wine shops: Total Wine, Rick's Wine on Duke Street in Alexandria, Chevy Chase Wine on Connecticut Ave., plus a bunch of smaller neighborhood stores. In my state of PA, one has to go a State store to buy wine.

Author: patchdodd Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319217 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/20/2006 10:38 PM
Recommendations: 2
I'm a long way off. I like this board for the conviviality more than for my own hopes of retiring before I'm 78.

With a few exceptions, the regulars here are able to discuss difficult topics with very little contentiousness. Additionally people of all stripes here are good at letting those who don't respect the board culture here know that their acerbic posts are unwelcome.

As for me I am nearing middle age - whatever that means - but recently returned to school on a six year plan to become a pharmacist. So by my middle 40s I might have a few more initials after my name and a couple more six figures lopped on to my debt.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319222 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/20/2006 11:07 PM
"When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

was one of them Lou?

Howie52
Curious.

Author: Thurst Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319223 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/20/2006 11:37 PM

arrete

I retired 4 1/2 years ago. Turned sixty this past Sunday. I tend to be more relaxed than passionate, though love making continues to be an enjoyable, healthful activity. Additionally, I lift weights 2-3 times per week, swim laps for an hour 2-5 times per week, hike the canyons of western Colorado and Utah, soak regularly in hot springs. I visit my parents for a month at a time usually 1-3 times per year. I need to start visiting my son and daughter scattered to different parts of the west coast.

I spend way to much time with the internet...

I might have still been working if my best friend (younger) had not retired a couple of years before me. After looking into it I realized I could have retired five years earlier with less income but still not spent what would have come in.

My enjoyment of frugality approaches that of Art and Seattle Pioneer. I live alone and resist the interests of females seeking to become house mates in order to preserve my freedom to explore my frugal eccentricity.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319225 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/20/2006 11:54 PM
As for me I am nearing middle age - whatever that means - but recently returned to school on a six year plan to become a pharmacist. So by my middle 40s I might have a few more initials after my name and a couple more six figures lopped on to my debt. - patchdodd

After I picked up my eighth grade nephew from school today, and as we were driving over to his dad's store, I was telling him that the time I spent in college were the most fun and the best years of my life. I really do have a lot of fond memories of that time. Going to college is fun. I told him that it gets better.

My best friend and I (who I'm still friends with) used to stop at the Dairy Queen after lunch and as we'd sit there and eat our ice cream we'd laugh so hard we could barely make it back to class.

Art

Author: OldOne Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319227 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/21/2006 2:23 AM
Recommendations: 6
Some of you guys - just can't remember or tell - OldOne, ascenzm, vickifool - think so, MadCapitalist, bosslady52 (though NUI - right?)...

Counting down to retirement (or is it a "declaration of financial independence") on tax day 2007.

Actually that is the day I become my own boss.

Ultimately DW and I will move to Grants Pass, OR. There I will transmogrify myself from a rocket scientist into a complete redneck. You know, "there is no such thing as too many cars, too many dogs, or too many guns." I already have a flying start on it.

I went deer hunting for the first time ever this fall, with the neighbors and their family. (I had been hog hunting quite a few times, but haven't done that in 10 years). Got a nice buck, nice enough to get the head mounted, and DW may even let me put it in the new living room. This is love and understanding beyond all human comprehehsion.

I got skunked on the elk hunt, which may be just as well. An elk is probably too big for the living room.

Still left to accomplish in CA is selling one last rental house, and fixing up our residence to get a better price. I will tear down the old garage and build a new one. Hopefully real estate will pick up before I am done.

We have the retirement spread, I bought a backhoe so I can maul the earth, add some roads (gravel), put up a polebarn, build a guest house... I really like to make things, and buildings are high on my list.

When I retire, I am going to get one of the new Mac laptops so I can run both Mac and Windows (ugh) on the same machine. I have given up on trying to annoy the Value Line and IBD people into letting me use a Mac on their sites.

We have two yellow labs, one "fox red" in color, the other almost white. One black & white cat, just like Bill Clinton's cat "sox". Him giving the cat away (and letting his dog get run over by a car) are just two more reasons to think he is scum.

Anyway, a long list of things to do, and soon, enough time to do them.

Author: kaudrey Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319232 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/21/2006 7:09 AM
P.S. The DC area is loaded with great privately owned wine shops: Total Wine, Rick's Wine on Duke Street in Alexandria, Chevy Chase Wine on Connecticut Ave., plus a bunch of smaller neighborhood stores. In my state of PA, one has to go a State store to buy wine.

----

The Curious Grape in Arlington is also a good one. :)

Karen
(who loves both Total Wine and the local shops...)

Author: buffalogal100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319233 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/21/2006 8:37 AM
My retirement passion is moseying along through each day. I do like gardening, having the time for it, and backyard birding. I like to read but nothing too serious, puttering around at home, visiting friends now and then and having daily contact with my sister by email. I like to visit my local WBU store. I just bought a peanut ring for the bluejays. They love it. It looks like a coiled wire wreath. Sometimes there are other customers there and we get to talking about our back yard stuff, what we do, what feed we use, how to baffle the squirrels, etc. There is a master gardener's course being offered in January and I've yet to sign up for it. I'm having minor surgery on Dec 7th - in and out the same day, hopefully. And that's a glimpse into the life of this retiree who is much happier than three years ago when I was still employed. Ugh.

Author: MoneyPenny06 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319236 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/21/2006 8:51 AM
Recommendations: 4

For some reason, arrete's post reminds me of a show on television called

"Romper Room" that I watched with my little brother when we were wee little kids.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romper_Room

The show hostess, I think her name was Miss Sherri had a special transparent mirror and she would look through it to find all the kids out there in televisionland. I see "Susie and Bobby and Danny and oh! there's Mike and Jason and Michelle!....etc."

I always waited for her to call out my name, but she never did and my name while not common, is still not unusual. Oh well.

Last night I was listening to some Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. Talk about time travel!

I am off from work this week and loving nearly every minute of it. The only time I get a little annoyed is when I have to wait on lines. I need to learn patience. My idea of contentment is little traffic, few lines and systems that run intuitively. Hope I don't sound like too much of a geek, because I'm really not - I've just been living in the crowded suburbs for too long.

Today's agenda calls for a walk, a dr. appt, some holiday prep, a nap and dinner...accompanied by my usual candles and music and wine. Today's wine is the St. Lawrence Red from Thousand Islands Winery.

I relate to a lot of what you all talk about it. My daughter will graduate next year and I so look forward to that. Not having her move out of my life, although she may do that, but just not having to deal with schools and school schedules. That's really the only part of parenting I haven't liked - the fact that you have to deal with school again.

I look forward to resurrecting my passions and wonder where life will take me. Her high school graduation may be the one thing anchoring me here in this place. I don't mean to get all melancholic, it's too nice of a day.

I suspect I will enjoy my simple pleasures more deeply and seek them out more widely.

I love Austin Powers, by the way. Mike Myers is a genius.

Yesterday's Wine

Miracles appear
In the strangest of places
Fancy meeting you here
The last time I saw you
Was just out of Houston
Sit down let me buy you a beer
Your presence is welcome
With me and my friend here
This is a hangout of mine
We come here quite often
And listen to music
Partaking of yesterday's wine
Yesterday's wine
I'm yesterday's wine
Aging with time
Like yesterday's wine
Yesterday's wine
We're yesterday's wine
Aging with time
Like yesterday's wine

You give the appearence
Of one widely travelled
I'll bet you've seen
Things in your time
So sit down beside me
And tell me your story
If you think
You'll like yesterday's wine
Yesterday's wine
We're yesterday's wine
Aging with time
Like yesterday's wine

MP

Author: catmeyoo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319238 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/21/2006 9:48 AM
Recommendations: 3
Today's wine is the St. Lawrence Red from Thousand Islands Winery.

I relate to a lot of what you all talk about it. My daughter will graduate next year and I so look forward to that. Not having her move out of my life, although she may do that, but just not having to deal with schools and school schedules. That's really the only part of parenting I haven't liked - the fact that you have to deal with school again.

I look forward to resurrecting my passions and wonder where life will take me. Her high school graduation may be the one thing anchoring me here in this place. I don't mean to get all melancholic, it's too nice of a day. --MoneyPenny06

Those last years of parenting before your child flies off on his/her own can really weight you down—adolesence and all even with the best of kids—thank goodness though it is not a permanent condition. As soon as it's over you're suddenly 100, maybe 200 years younger with the interests and energy to go with your new age. That's the way it was for me at any rate.

I have a $35 bottle of wine in my back porch cupboard that came from one of the two vineyards we have close to Chadron now.

Does that fly because we have a few tourists or how can it thrive otherwise. When I went on my liquor buy a few weeks ago I bought a few bottles of the homegrown just to try. I didn't pay any attention to the price until I got all my bottles home and was entering them in Quicken and was shocked. Where is Trader Joe's when I need them. There is a big article in the New York Times on winegrowing in Iowa—it seems to be a big passion now out here to make wine. I picked up 2 wine glasses, both of which I now see have Chadron on them and decided tourists must stop at the local place, buy the wine for the label and glasses too and take them home as souvenirs. I don't think we have enough tourists to support such a thing but maybe we do.

Since buying all that alcohol I have opened one bottle of red—Sutter Home Cabernet Sauvignon—a reasonably priced pretty decent wine we used to serve at receptions. My choices here are pretty limited. There are 2 liquor stores though plus that new local wine shop which I expect to close any day now. I have drunk two glasses at 2 different times and corked it up with my new corking implement from the local wine shop. I'm going to have to get busy drinking. I should save my $35 bottle of table wine, Lovers Leap Vineyard – Earl's Reserve Nebraska Table Wine, for a special occasion. Since I try to avoid special occasions altogether it may sit there a long time.

Here are my notes on my big liquor run for a snapshot of what you can buy in Chadron. I see I didn't buy any beer, and I like beer too. Maybe I'll buy beer next spring:

Purchases at The Last Chance Winery on October 25, 2006:

Opener: 6.00
Recapper 11.50
One wine 14.00 Wild West Red – Nebraska Red Wine The Last Chance Winery
Second wine 11.00 Bordeaux Creek Vineyards, BC Blush
Fancy wine 35.00 Lovers Leap Vineyard – Earl's Reserve Nebraska Table Wine
Wine glasses 6.50 each or 13.00
Mustard: 5.50

Total: Add tax and it equals $101.

My bill was $101.00
How did that happen

Purchases on October 24, 2006 at Lariat Liquors

1. Mikearita Classic Lime drink: 7.99
2. Bailey's Original Irish Cream 23.11
3. Redwood Creek California Cabernet Sauvignon 6.10
4. Red Eye Bloody Mary Mix T exas Style 3.80
5. T.G.I. Friday's Pina Colada On the Rocks: 7.50
6. Smirnoff Vodka $14.30
7. Sutter Home Merlot California 2006: 12.41
8. Mike's Hard Frozen Lemonade with alcohola (7.99?)
9. Sutter Home Cabernet Sauvignon Claifornia 2001
10. T.G. I. Friday's Mudslid On the Rocks: 7.50
11. Freu Bros. Redwood Creek Pinot Noir: 6.10
12. Forest Glen Cabernet Sauvignon; 8.74

ENTER ALL IN QUICKEN

--catmeyoo

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319248 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/21/2006 10:28 AM
Last night I was listening to some Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. Talk about time travel!

MP

Herb Alpert brings back childhood memories. My father used to listen to Herb Alpert's music when I was growing up. I probably still have a few of my father's Herb Alpert LPs.

Mike

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319249 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/21/2006 10:31 AM
Sometimes there are other customers there and we get to talking about our back yard stuff, what we do, what feed we use, how to baffle the squirrels, etc.

buffalogal100

My friend Tammy doesn't worry about squirrels getting into her outdoor feeders since she loves squirrels and places the feeders outside for their benefit. Any of Tammy's neighbors who set out bird feeders are probably grateful because their squirrels are all in Tammy's yard. <g>

Mike

Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319250 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/21/2006 10:33 AM
AOLFoolman100:
I've had 3-4 glasses of Cabernet Savignon, and I still lucidly recognize exactly where this monologue was taken from.....

Anyone want to guess??

I've heard it before but can't nail it!

After my 3rd glass of Savignon, I'd be asleep!

decath

Author: buffalogal100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319254 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/21/2006 10:54 AM
From our wine rack - gifts received and never opened. I have no idea how good or bad these are:

Reds -

Lockwood Merlot 1998
Meridian Pinot Noir 1998
Mayne Sansac Bordeaux - 2000
Calvet Reserve Bordeaux - 1999
Marques De Riscal Bordeaux - 1987

Whites -

Beringer White Zinfandel
Chassange Montrachet White (Maison Louis Latour - reminds of the name Bubbles Latour)

Champagnes -

Two bottles Korbel
One Moet Chandon (that's good stuff)

We're just not drinkers. Maybe I'll have a Manhattan (yum!) when we're out or a glass of the house Merlot. That's once in a blue moon.

Back to washing the china and polishing silver.

Author: catmeyoo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319257 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/21/2006 11:11 AM
We're just not drinkers. Maybe I'll have a Manhattan (yum!) when we're out or a glass of the house Merlot. That's once in a blue moon. --buffalogal

Me either but I keep trying--I don't want to miss anything. My favorite drink is still a martini over with a twist at lunchtime or a really good Bloody Mary at brunchtime, but you reminded me of one of my favorite North Beach family style Italian restaurants in San Francisco, the New Pisa, that we used to go to a lot when I was not long in San Francisco and oh so in love. They had a small bar at the front where you could sit and look out the window and made the so-called best Manhattans in town. Yum indeed. They had 3 or 4 little private rooms with curtains over the entrance right off the main dining room and if you were lucky enough to get one, or willing to wait at the bar and drink manhattans until one came free, you could linger as long as you wanted in semi privacy, enjoy the food and then go walk around the streets and take in the North Beach scene. Heaven.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319258 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/21/2006 11:23 AM
OK - I forgot lots of people. But what's your passions when you retire. It might not be the same when you get there.

Howdy Arrete, Thanks for asking.

My passion is kids, and before anyone asks, no I am not a Priest!(sorry couldn't resist, and as an active member of my local CYO, I figure I am allowed the cheap shot).

But honestly, I am also very eclectic in what I plan when I retire, though I likely have the resources I have a 13yr old(started a little late) I want to put through college, so I'll keep my current job until they fire(aka FIRE me).

For the kids, I have long been a coach and plan to carry that on until I get too cranky! Basketball and baseball/softball. Watching kids strive and achieve and just deal with both adversity(minor) and joy is a treat I hope never to be denied.

Lifelong learning is another persuit, always admired those who took college courses on the cheap just for the knowledge(many schools offer this!). Since I am just now finishing up a finance degree I got my job to pay for - still do not know why since I am a computer applications manager, but..., I expect this to remain with me for a while.

The eclectic side will have me cooking (heck I married Irish just so the kitchen would be mine<checking over shoulder, as I type>), dabbling with oil paints, and hopefully finally having time to start working with wood as I have always wanted too, fishing in the ocean and rivers off of Long Island and/or wherever I chose to snow bird, finding a way to keep the damnable squirells out of various fruit trees and taking a page from Art's world, curling women's toes(hopefully only 1 actually)

Author: buffalogal100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319262 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/21/2006 12:09 PM
North Beach family style Italian restaurants in San Francisco, the New Pisa, that we used to go to a lot when I was not long in San Francisco and oh so in love. They had a small bar at the front where you could sit and look out the window and made the so-called best Manhattans in town.

I *wish* I would have asked on line here about where to eat, what to see in SF when I had a brief day there. Most of the girls I was with wanted to do the touristy stuff like Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf and eat at Bubba Gumps (I got, uh, stomach problems after eating there) but it was close to one the gal's birthday so the waiter brought her vanilla ice cream in a dish with a cherry on top, made her stand on a chair in the middle of the room while he announced her birthday and made her hold the ice cream dish over her head. I was so cold I had to buy a sweatshirt. We went over the Golden Gate bridge and up the hill to the left of it, came back down and parked in the 'scenic view' area. That was beautiful. No being a city person, I was out of my element. Oh, and we drove down Lombard St. several times. Once was enough for me - I had to take pictures every time that was done. The one town I did love was Palo Alto. We got kind of lost trying to find Hwy 1 - how to cross over, found ourselves in a small town, stopped at a drug store for some Tylenol and there were chickens roaming the parking lot. We had to stop again in a small town called Catady (sp?) to get directions. The back countryside was lovely, though, and it was too dark by the time we drove the road where the redwoods were - very winding. We stopped in Mendocino at midnight for soda and to un-stiffen our legs and backs, it was foggy and eerie. The one thing I do know is that I love northern California and will definitely return for another visit when I can see it in the daytime.

Author: catmeyoo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319272 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/21/2006 1:40 PM
Recommendations: 5
The one town I did love was Palo Alto. We got kind of lost trying to find Hwy 1 - how to cross over, found ourselves in a small town, stopped at a drug store for some Tylenol and there were chickens roaming the parking lot. We had to stop again in a small town called Catady (sp?) to get directions. The back countryside was lovely, though, and it was too dark by the time we drove the road where the redwoods were - very winding. We stopped in Mendocino at midnight for soda and to un-stiffen our legs and backs, it was foggy and eerie. The one thing I do know is that I love northern California and will definitely return for another visit when I can see it in the daytime. --buffalogal

Mendocino is one of the places I'd love to live. Coos Bay, Oregon sounds good too. I don't really like those winding foresty roads though, especially on weekends when they are backed up. Of course if I lived there and was retired there wouldn't be any reason to have to go on those roads. I could just stay put in Mendocino like I mostly stay put in Chadron, but then would I?

When I was 21 I moved to Denver and met someone the first week at a drugstore counter and married him 6 weeks later and headed off for Palo Alto where he was a student at Stanford. Our apartment was actually in Menlo Park, 2 blocks from Kepler's, the great bookstore, and a few blocks from the campus. I loved that campus, the Quad and the library and the Cave where everyone went to drink and hang out, and downtown Palo Alto with all its little art movie theaters, that I was familiar with from having seen movies at the Vogue in Denver. And exciting food. It sure wasn't Chadron.

But I couldn't get San Francisco out of my mind. We had come through there on our way to Palo Alto, crossing the Oakland Bay Bridge at night in heavy fog, and I just looked at it and all the lights that I could see through the mist and heard foghorns and wanted to belong there. I kept nagging my husband to go up for a day but he didn't like the city and kept refusing and said the car wouldn't make it, and anyway we were fighting about this and that by then and before we could get up for a real visit we were splitting up and he was driving me back to Denver. I think we lasted from September until Christmas vacation. He was such an introvert, much worse than I am, and insecure on top of it and spent a lot of his time fantasizing that I was being unfaithful and terrorizing me and it was all crazy, but an exciting adventure anyway. I called my mom and grandmother in Nebraska to say I was coming back to live in Denver and I remember my mother telling me that she wasn't telling anyone. I couldn't believe that a woman like my mother, who had been in and out of 3 marriages and had all kinds of affairs was so mortified by my behavior.

Anyway, I couldn't get San Francisco out of my head and for the next 7 or 8 years, some of them living again with my Stanford ex-DH who returned to Denver after graduating, a couple teaching in South Dakota and Nevada, I managed to find reasons to get out there for visits at least 3 or 4 times a year, and finally, following one last horrific fight with my ex-husband, I packed everything into the VW and headed west for good. Until now of course. Headed west for 32 years. And met my true love. It is funny to think I lived in San Francisco longer than I lived in Chadron since I grew up here from the time I was 5. I've actually only lived in Chadron 21 years counting the last 5.

--catmeyoo

Author: 4aapl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319285 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/21/2006 2:41 PM

I'm not sure yet, though I have a couple things in mind. More camping/backpacking. Get back into programming. Learning about and then making wine. But the last 2 have been on my mind for 2-5 years and I haven't done anything about it yet. Lack of time is always a popular excuse. No grapes of my own is too. But a friend of a friend, who's also a ChemE, has been making wine lately, just buying the grapes he needs.

I think free time and a change of locations will kick both of those into gear. It looks like we'll be moving up to the Sonoma area, where a friend is one of 9 at a winery and they are always looking for volunteers, who they pay with bottles of wine. "Will work for wine" I could do that.

As for time, I'm going to these that out a bit by taking the full 12 weeks off that the law allows for bonding with a new child. The first 6 are paid via CA at about 50% of wages, and the other 6 are unpaid. Some that could take the time are put off by the lack of income during that time. It's nice not to have to worry about that.

BioDiesel sounds like fun too, just like going back into the Plant Design class that I loved. But at the point where you're buying the materials and also having to buy a diesel vehicle to run on the stuff, it might not be worth it <grin>

4aapl

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319303 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/21/2006 4:45 PM
Learning about and then making wine. But the last 2 have been on my mind for 2-5 years and I haven't done anything about it yet. Lack of time is always a popular excuse.
My step-mother always said she was going to get back into painting. My dad said "If you really wanted to do it, you would have already started." He built boats, cabinets, etc all while working 40 hour weeks.

Some things you can't do while working, like rehabbing baby birds. They have to be fed every hour with very little leeway. Some people get around that by teaching, then rehabbing end of June through August. We need all the help we can get.

Some hobbies do cost money. Some day I'll be brave enough to tell you all what I spend on birds. More than you think.

Some other passions you have to do while you can. While I still have the dexterity to work with birds, I have little strength in my hands - osteoarthritis. But there is always something fun you can do.

arrete

Author: 4aapl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319329 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/21/2006 7:07 PM
Learning about and then making wine. But the last 2 have been on my mind for 2-5 years and I haven't done anything about it yet. Lack of time is always a popular excuse.
My step-mother always said she was going to get back into painting. My dad said "If you really wanted to do it, you would have already started." He built boats, cabinets, etc all while working 40 hour weeks.

Exactly! I said it was a popular excuse, not an accurate one.

Take today for instance. One of the many items on my "do this week" list is to sit down and program for a couple hours, either fixing up a program I wrote 5 years ago, or starting from scratch on a version with a GUI. Both are for picking out stock options, so even though I'm currently writing it just for personal use, it could still earn me a bit of money by simplifying and optimizing my investment choices.

But today I just haven't felt like it, instead taking care of odds and ends around here. They needed to be done, but they were all small things and could have been done here and there at a later point, when I didn't have a large block of time.

Like many things, it's a lot easier to ramp up from 2 to 20 hours spent on something than it is to go from 0 to 2 hours. The same thing is true with exercise, that most of the challenge is just getting out the door. When I was running and not training with a team, if I could get out the door and get the first mile done, the next 6+ were easy. And often I'd be feeling great, and morph a 7 mile run into a 9 miler.

Getting over that initial hump is key, and I need to work on getting this activation energy out over the next couple months and getting some things started up so that they are already ongoing once I do have an extra 40 hours a week to play with.

4aapl

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319339 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/21/2006 8:08 PM
Getting over that initial hump is key, and I need to work on getting this activation energy out
-----------------
You sound like me getting to the gym today. I've been having lots of allergy issues and whine to myself that I'm too sick to go. Then I get there, and see the old Korean guy - obviously after a stroke, just going on and on. Any afternoon, he is there, always the treadmill, then the elliptical trainer, then the treadmill again. You have to admire the dedication - and it makes me feel small and, well, whiny.

arrete

Author: FoolNBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319340 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/21/2006 8:09 PM
Having not read any responses (and thanks for thinking of me arrete)...

Things I want to do that FIRE will allow me to pursue with more vigor (in no particular order and certainly not a comprehensive list):

Become active in the management Tampa Bay Sea Kayakers -it is a great club thanks to the hard work of mostly retired volunteers. I also want to paddle more often and in locations further away than work allows.

Help others achieve financial independence through volunteer work; also floating the idea of writing a series of articles/chapters that could be assimilated into a book. Primary purpose would be as material for helping others but if good enough would submit for publication or as a website.

Become more active in political causes I am passionate about. I'd also consider seeking local office at some point if it really seemed possible.

Learn new skills, particularly woodworking and other hands-on type things.

Hike the Appalachian Trail, perhaps even attempting a thru-hike.

Get more serious about running and biking (currently do not have the time to put into running, biking and kayaking along with work and other activities).

Garden more (recently completed a project in my backyard and wish I had the time to take it to the next level).

Going back to college and either earning a degree in something I'm interested in (not for my "career" but cause I want to) or at least auditing classes that interest me on a somewhat regular basis.

Attending Bluegrass Festivals more frequently than my current average of two a year.

Taking roadtrips at nice relaxed pace like I used to do before starting my career (being sure to hit TX, TN, VA, WA and other places I may happen to "run into" other FIREes).

My interests tend to be rather scattered and I tend to focus intensely on the current project. While I work towards FIRE I pursue many things and have several balls in the air -along with several long-term uncompleted projects.

Oh, I almost forgot; I'd like to pop in here off and on throughout the workday posting OT posts that annoy newbies, "liberals" and "conservatives!"

FoolNBlue

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319343 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/21/2006 8:16 PM
This is an interesting thread and I'm having trouble putting together my thoughts on this at the moment. I'm fighting fatigue, I want to lay down but I need to get on the treadmill at least for 30 min. I can do 30, it's just getting myself down there.

I did the weight machines last night, and I was pleased to see I hadn't regressed that bad as far as strength goes considering I really hadn't worked out since the 6th, I did work out once at one of hotels one day but it was a light workout, 45 on the treadmill, free wgts, a few wgt machines and stretching....about an hr and a half. I held up pretty well in step aerobics last night too....but right now I just want to lay down and snooze........~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LuckySleepyDog

Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319391 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/22/2006 10:00 AM
4aapl:
Take today for instance. One of the many items on my "do this week" list is to sit down and program for a couple hours, either fixing up a program I wrote 5 years ago, or starting from scratch on a version with a GUI. Both are for picking out stock options, so even though I'm currently writing it just for personal use, it could still earn me a bit of money by simplifying and optimizing my investment choices.

That is interesting. I program for a living but I don't envision doing any once I RE. I will need to do something to get the "creativity" side of me satisfied. At this point, I'm thinking I will 1st build my RE home mostly myself. In the process, I want to explore alternative energy sources and build the home so it can be self-sustaining if need be, whether it be wind, solar, geothermal etc.. I don't know how I'm going to do it yet but I still have 7-9 years to think about it until I FIRE.

After that is all complete, I think I would like to tinker with remote conrol flying toys, rockets and maybe play with robotics. It would really be cool to enter those battle-bots competitions.

decath

Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319393 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/22/2006 10:07 AM
arrete:
And the wanabees - ziggy just wants to sell his house, decath wants another glass of pinot noir (kidding!), AOLFoolman100 looking for chicks (that's not a viable FIRE goal - just sayin'), Evelynk looking for the perfect job to get her to FIRE, MP - thinking about it (as long as wine is involved - hey! I'm there!), ravvt, bighairymike (BOT), FoolNBlue, ataloss (FIRE already), JLC - heh! He could FIRE tomorrow, .

I've always thought it would be extremely cool to grow my own grapes and manufacture my own wine. My Grandpa did that and I would help him when I visited during the summer.

My problem is that I'm a "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of guy. That's why I did not become a millionaire at 30 like I originally planned. You know what they always tell you, "specialization is the key to great wealth".

Too many things on my "to do list"!

decath

Author: tlswms One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319502 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/23/2006 2:54 AM
Recommendations: 5
What a fun thread. I pop in here every few days to see what's being talked about but have only posted infrequently. I was inspired to join the Fool only when I got to seriously thinking of retirement a couple years back - and what a useful and rewarding decision it was.

I've been giving a lot of consideration to what will fire me when I've FIRE'd in about 4 years….wouldn't be near as comfortable with that timeline had I not stumbled upon this place and drunk from the wisdom of the folks on this board and others on the Fool – so, thank you to all is the first thing to say.

I've been living overseas in the developing world primarily for the past 10+ years - twice in Africa (West then Central), once in S. America and now in Central Asia. The years away from home make me long for it – the quiet sense of security and simple abundance most of all.

I think I'll just hang out on the deck of our cabin nestled in the Black Hills for the first year or – just soak in the quiet beauty. Watching the weather like catmeyoo and wondering at the spectacular dance of wind and light. We're up above a mile high and have a view unfettered by any sign of humanity. I've thought of wiring it to be able to live off the grid – really want to explore alt. energy options there and more broadly.

Interests in animal welfare will get more attention. The joy available from helping an innocent animal is nourishing to the soul. The idea of joining up with rescue missions like those spearheaded by Best Friends outta Utah is really appealing – their recent adventure to war-torn Lebanon is gonna be on network TV they said in a recent mass email – their efforts in the wake of Katrina were heartwarming.

Poker is a fascination for me. Always enjoyed playing and the national phenomenon of Texas hold em has re-ignited my interest. Online is a bore – but the dynamic at a table can be invigorating. Deadwood, of HBO fame and where wild Bill Hickok met his fate at a poker table, is actually the town nearest us in the Black Hills – so, I'm looking forwarded to making the trip into town from time to time. When I was home this past summer I played 3 tournaments and won 2 of them – inflated my ego to bursting – but, it's under control…really.

Native American studies and genealogy get lumped together – not because I have any tribal blood – but, I did have great grandparents that staked a claim there in the 1870s gold rush days…and the Black Hills is a sacred place for the Lakota (it's always struck me that way too) and so worthy of study. Didn't know about the grandparents history there when I discovered the Black Hills about a dozen years ago – it was just synchronicity as MichaelR put it. Have an interest in visiting places where forebears have tread – kind of odd in that we're childless and thus endeth our branch of the tree. May figure that out someday….another thing that I like thinking I may do is volunteer as a big brother sort and it feels like that ties in here too but I don't believe in psycho analysis much so I don't want to think about it…

Lastly – as so many have commented on active pursuits I've been re-inspired to re-dedicate myself to making an effort at more routine physical exercise…this needs to begin now to carry me thru to our FIRE date in the health such a milestone deserves!

Thanks for listening and Happy T-day - Tom

Author: catmeyoo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319505 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/23/2006 8:58 AM
Native American studies and genealogy get lumped together – not because I have any tribal blood – but, I did have great grandparents that staked a claim there in the 1870s gold rush days…and the Black Hills is a sacred place for the Lakota (it's always struck me that way too) and so worthy of study. Didn't know about the grandparents history there when I discovered the Black Hills about a dozen years ago – it was just synchronicity as MichaelR put it. Have an interest in visiting places where forebears have tread – kind of odd in that we're childless and thus endeth our branch of the tree. May figure that out someday….another thing that I like thinking I may do is volunteer as a big brother sort and it feels like that ties in here too but I don't believe in psycho analysis much so I don't want to think about it… Tom

I really enjoyed your post and Happy T-day to you, too. Among many other things it makes me think again of moving to the Black Hills. The last time I was in Rapid I went to the Convention Center and gathered bagsful of every brochure and guidebook published and at some point want to study them thoroughly and maybe make some plans. I don't know whether I would want to live in Rapid itself or in one of the smaller towns. Custer and Hill City both appeal to me, so does Hot Springs, or somewhere between Rapid and Deadwood.

For one thing there are no state taxes in South Dakota and for another, I just really like it up there, and in addition it is about 10 degrees cooler in some areas than it is here in Chadron. Of course in Hot Springs it is about 10 degrees warmer which may rule that out. South Dakota is a little freer state than Nebraska. So is Wyoming for that matter. Nebraska keeps a fairly tight rein on people in many ways and is pretty churchy too—not that that's a bad thing—but sometimes I long for a community with a few more eccentrics and iconoclasts, free spirits. Rebels if you will. (Note to decath—one of the reasons I've always loved Texas.)

If you haven't yet read Jim Harrison may I recommend Dalva for a starter when you can get your hands on it. But anything really. In that book he writes beautifully of the “vast lonesome country” and “deep silence” of the Black Hills of South Dakota and the Sandhills of Nebraska all told through the story of a half-breed middle aged Lakota woman living in California who returns home to this area in search of the son she gave up for adoption in her teens. She is accompanied by a companion who is hoping to get tenure at a California University by doing original research on the history of Sioux policy in Dawes County and throughout this area by finding and using the journals Dalva's grandfather kept when he came to settle and farm. Dalva's family has a cabin in the hills that sounds just like yours

I didn't find this book or Harrison until right after I moved back here and it was serendipity really because it was exactly the book I needed at the moment to explain myself to myself <g>. I sent a copy to a good friend back in San Francisco thinking it could do a better job of answering her never ending inquiries about why I came here and when was I coming back than I could if I talked until I wore myself out completely.

For a while I thought I would like to move to Reno, that simple western town with action and lights, the biggest little city in the world as it bills itself. Reno was my small town sanctuary that I would run to when city life started closing in, and I know I like the state of Nevada because I lived there for a year once. I think I'd like living close to Deadwood. There's something about casinos and people who are in them that puts me right at ease. Maybe it's how focused people are on doing their own thing and how they don't feel the need to chitchat and don't make you feel like they expect something of you. Alone and yet together. I get the same feeling of comfort in a library.

--catmeyoo

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319506 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/23/2006 10:08 AM
Alone and yet together.
----------------------
I feel the same way, wandering a foreign city where I don't speak the language (except to ask for a beer <g>). Especially the parks. In Poland one Sunday, I went to the Botanical Gardens which were inside a big park. I took in an amazing children's dancing and singing performance and a little Polish line dancing. I also got handed religious tracts which I couldn't read a word of. It was fun - as if I was in a bubble just floating around.

arrete

Author: catmeyoo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319508 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/23/2006 10:49 AM
I feel the same way, wandering a foreign city where I don't speak the language (except to ask for a beer <g>). . .as if I was in a bubble just floating around

The board is so quiet this morning--you'd think it was some kind of special day or something. Since it is so quiet it makes me want to chatter on. As I was reading your post Bob Dylan started singing Simple Twist of Fate on XM 15, which led me to looking up what album that was on--Blood on the Tracks--so I got it out to play. It also has Shelter From the Storm--one of my favorites too--and accidently I found there is a book about this great album and it was on sale by someone with a 99% rating for $7.05 plus postage so I ordered it. It is the first book I have ordered this month--I had put myself on a book buying diet. Now that I've crossed the line and ordered one I'm tempted to go order more. Must resist.

Say, that XM 15 plays some pretty good stuff. I was only listening to it because I forgot to listen to Dylan's theme radio show yesterday and it's repeated today on 15--all folk It's called Village People or something. Anyway, the Dylan show doesn't come on for an hour but I turned it on early so I didn't forget again. Dyland doesn't play any of his own stuff on his own show. If XM dies I'm going to miss it. Well, that's about all I have to say. I better take the cd out and put the radio back on again and start doing something productive.

Author: catmeyoo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319511 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/23/2006 11:08 AM
I better take the cd out and put the radio back on again and start doing something productive.

I couldn't do that because now John Prine is singing In a Town This Size. No singer can make me smile more quickly than John Prine. It's just something in his voice. Some lightness and humor. I think I'll take most of the day off and listen to music and play games.

In a town this size, there's no place to hide
Everywhere you go you meet someone you know
You can't steal a kiss in a place like this
How the rumors do fly in a town this size
In a smokey bar in the backseat of your car
In your own little house someone's sure to find you out
What you do and what you think
What you eat and what you drink
If you smoke a cigarette they'll be talkin' about your breath

Oh, I had a fight with my girlfriend last night
Before the moon went down it was all over town
How he made me cry how I said goodbye
If it's true or not doesn't seem to count alot

--catmeyoo, droning on with blow by blow radio reporting

Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319540 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/23/2006 10:14 PM
It's good to see that some things don't change catmeyoo. Your writing is always worth reading.

1HF

Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319545 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/23/2006 11:01 PM
Recommendations: 7
Excellent thread topic arrete. During my long hiatus, I thought often of writing something in the evening, but by the time the evening came around, I was often exhausted. My building projects were and still are ordeals. I had a cold weather deadline for minimum habitability and now that I've met that standard I can take the time to indulge my other passions. I can summarize what I'm passionate about in two words: Self Actualization. The difficulty is in translating this much misunderstood pairing of words into something a little more meaningful. I get a little closer with: Acting to make the world what my Self desires it to be. That means I must know what my Self desires. That's an ongoing process of Self analysis followed by connecting the results to verbs that I must employ to achieve the results. Some of my verbs are read, write, build, learn and share.

I've probably written as much about my passions as anybody on this board and I appreciate those who've shared their passions with us. Mazske is an excellent example of a person who derives from the world what his Self desires, but we don't all need to do something as ambitious and time consuming as Book Em. I've found that anything that keeps the mind enjoyably engaged is better than doing the things we think are expected of us but which we have no passion for.

Here's to those who find the right verbs.

1HF

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319547 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/23/2006 11:24 PM
My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons.

Would you believe I never had Crab Rangoon until I was 35? And nowadays I eat the stuff like it grows on trees...

OK, I'm rambling... Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319548 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/23/2006 11:29 PM
At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

FWIW, I was once mildly reprimanded by a date for not having shaved my scrotum, but that's TMI, I reckon.

I also once knew a woman named Vilma, but she wasn't a Zoroastrian, I don't think. She was a pianist who taught music at a local college.

Author: MoneyPenny06 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319553 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/24/2006 6:48 AM

...from crabs to scrotums in one click, that's enough for me ;)

I think I'll next check the online news and begin my little day.

MP

PS/ A friend of mine once got so violently ill after eating a serving of crab rangoon that I can't even bear the thought of trying it again and I wonder who made up such a name for cream cheese and crab fried in dough? do they even eat that in Rangoon I wonder? a bastardized American dish?

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319581 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/24/2006 5:07 PM
Alright, I said I would write something concerning passions after RE and I must say when I first retired, my passion was spending more time with my gf who lived in another state and traveling with her during the summertime. After we broke up in '01, I looked around for a doggie. Sadly, I had 2 dogs who died in 97 and the last one in 99 so I had for the first time in my life that I could remember,no one to come home to, no smiling furry face or wiggling body to greet me when I came home, to love and take care of, it was extremely hard.

Anyway, I found the perfect little dog at a rescue groups stand and we immediately got into obedience training. This progressed into my working towards becoming a member of the dog obed. club, assisting at classes and events and always taking classes with my dog. I also have done rescue work with a group and fostered a dog........I have a little tip.....fostering for me means adopting. :) In 2004 I took in an old looking blind(with cataracts) dog. At the time, I thought to myself, how hard could it be. I must have been delirious. With all the steps around here, it meant me picking her up all the time, especially when she had to go outside. I had her cataracts removed because I thought that was the only chance she had to get adopted and I must say to see her looking around for the first time in the yard after the surgery made me feel good. She definitely grew on me and the few times I took her to see prospective parents, I became very protective of her and thought they weren't good enough for her....that's when I knew I had to adopt her. So that started the training classes for her too and it wasn't easy either as I don't think she had had a lick of training before since it appeared she was just a breeder dog and kept in a cage all the time.....I still haven't been able to housetrain her, plus a wk after I got her she went into heat. We all thought she had been spayed but that was a different scar for removal of some foreign object or so the vet guessed. This little one is now in agility classes, I hope I can keep up with her. :)

So, arrete is right, one of my RE passions is dogs.....I now also do work with the local SPCA in training/socializing the shelter dogs so that they may be more adoptable.

My other passion is recovery, I have to spend time in going to meetings and talking with others, writing and reading or else my life can turn into crap in a hurry if I forget where I've been.

Since last January, one thing that has taken up a lot of time is exercise. I've been exercising like a fiend since then, lifting weights, aerobics, heavy duty and intense cardio workouts. That's a healthy passion for sure and I haven't been at this low a weight in decades. In fact, I'm not sure if I'm below weight or not, it's kind of hard to tell just looking at the figures because due to being at such a high weight during my younger yrs. in grade and high school, I have stretched skin that well, it's not going anywhere unless a surgeon removes it. I do have muscles though that I'm proud of and I eat healthfully.

One of the things that I have a problem with is balance and the thing that concerns me the most is the lack of quality friendships. I have a few friends that I've known for a long time but other than that history we don't have that much in common and one I'm concerned with because she has become so neurotic it's hard for me to be around her much anymore. Like some other RE's, I'm introverted, so for me it's hard to cross over that next hurdle from acquaintance to friendship things like going out and doing things together. I desperately want to work on this.....I need others in my life for support, companionship, laughter, intellectual stimulation and my emotional well being.

The challenge for me this coming yr. is finding the right balance/schedule so that I can work in all of my RE passions in my life: dogs, exercise, recovery, and developing new friendships as well as doing the mundane household and yardwork chores, grocery shopping and cooking.

I might need to get that country song, "Live like you were dying" to motivate me every day.

LuckyLongWindedDog who got a cortisone shot plus some pills today to fight this dreadful itching that's keeping me awake at night. The itching came back after my trip.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319582 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/24/2006 5:08 PM
Oh and I forgot to mention my managing my investment portfolio of over 100 stocks....way too many but for the most part they have increased in value except for some of the holdover tech bombs.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319584 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/24/2006 5:24 PM
fostering for me means adopting
I'm pretty sure I'd be the same way. I have sometimes thought that adopting older or special needs cats would be something I could do, but DH's limit is the 2 healthy ones we have. And the kitten is driving him crazy, slurping on the blankets at night, running up your leg - all the normal kitten things.

Since last January, one thing that has taken up a lot of time is exercise.
That is a good thing! And I'm convince that some of the stretching will slowly reabsorb - not all of it, but some. And you probably look better now that 90% of the other women. Saggy skin has to be better than fat. Since you actually do classes, do you not find kindred souls there? I can't do all that jumping and I'm not sure I could stand all those people in one room. Besides, whenever I do something like that, I always feel out of step <g>, so maybe not. Cliques, just like in high school.

the thing that concerns me the most is the lack of quality friendships
That concerns me, too. Sort of. I do have family, which you don't. And I can see that would tear at you sometimes. Just remember all the bad things about friendships <g>.

Just keep growing in your own way. You seem to be a happier dawg than a couple of years ago, so you're going in the right direction.

Keep after the docs about the itching. I hate to say it, but itching is a little known symptom of some cancers - like Hodgkin's. Make them check all the non-Hodgkin's lymphomas, too.

arrete

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319592 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/24/2006 7:17 PM
Thanks arrete for the support. The gym I go is specifically for those with health/weight issues so there are all kinds of body types there so I never felt out of place. Some folks have normal bodies but awful cholesterol,diabetes, blood pressure and joint problems. I have bad knees.

I've never had this type of rash before, except when I was fooled with poison ivy but this wasn't caused by it.....it's totally bizarre.
I believe I see the doc next month for a physical. Today I went to a doc in the box because I was so desperate for relief, when I can't sleep, I don't feel like doing anything. I should have gone to the gym today to do the wgt machines, I'll lift free wgts here and get on the treadmill after dinner. I swear to goodness, this may be TMI, but wearing clothes with this rash is tortuous. I'm going to look up that non Hodgins lymphoma....that's scares the heck out of me.

requesting good thoughts sent my way on getting a good night's sleep.

LuckyDog

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319594 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/24/2006 7:29 PM
believe I see the doc next month for a physical
---------------
Not next month - NOW! If the doc can't fit you in, find a better doc. Heck, LD, there's a medical school right there in Richmond - I know 'cause my son went there. Get assertive and in their faces - it's your body and the only life you have. Good dog.

arrete - we are our own best medical persons - we just need a little help now and then

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319601 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/24/2006 10:10 PM
My yrly checkup with my allergy doc is on Monday, I'll see what he has to say and whether it's in any way related to my allergies to mold and dust mites.

I looked on Web MD about Hodgkins and the only itching they talked about was after chemotherapy...? Anyway, I know I can't allow it to continue because it's making me miserable. I just hope I sleep tonight.

Night y'all.
LuckyDog

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319611 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/25/2006 8:32 AM
I looked on Web MD about Hodgkins and the only itching they talked about was after chemotherapy...?
---------------------
That's really weird because my friend whose daughter was diagnosed with Hodgkins after 1 1/2 years of itching was told that it would stop after the 2nd dose of chemo, and it did. And her oncologist definitely said it was symptomatic. So is getting colds a lot and general immune system issues. Check anyway - we're not getting any younger <g>.

arrete

Author: chooey98 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319624 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/25/2006 11:48 AM
Oh and I forgot to mention my managing my investment portfolio of over 100 stocks....way too many but for the most part they have increased in value except for some of the holdover tech bombs.

WOW! The LuckyDog Mutual Fund.

--Chooey

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 319634 of 737393
Subject: Re: MOL: FIRE Passions Date: 11/25/2006 3:58 PM

WOW! The LuckyDog Mutual Fund.

--Chooey

it's one of those, little of this, little of that, it's add up over time. :) I've been investing since the late 70's,early 80's. Don't get me started on my stock picking brilliance during the tech bomb days when everyone looked like a genius just buying any tech stock. And those were the days when I first retired 99, and I had too much time on my hands and forgot my investment principles.

I am looking to pare down these stocks to a more manageable level...I've been talking about it for a few yrs. now.

LuckyDog We can call it the Woof Fund :) Woof when it goes up, Yelp when it goes down

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (53) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement