UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: readytime Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 753897  
Subject: Monday-I can't wait! Date: 9/22/2000 9:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
No question here...I just have to share with the one group of people that I know will truly understand.

I am crawling out of my skin, as Monday is the day I will tell my very surprised manager that I will be retiring in a few months. I'm scared and excited at the same time. I am just at the amount I am comfortable with, and actually had hoped to have more (for future home in different and more expensive city), but the market has not been cooperating this past year. So today's early meltdown really scared the heck out of me considering what I'm about to do. Scared for nothing I guess.

Anyway, this is one time I can't wait for Monday and to go to work!

Readytime

Print the post Back To Top
Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19131 of 753897
Subject: Re: Monday-I can't wait! Date: 9/22/2000 10:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
So today's early meltdown really scared the heck out of me considering what I'm about to do. Scared for nothing I guess.

Anyway, this is one time I can't wait for Monday and to go to work!

Readytime

The weirdest thing happened to me today. I thought since the Nasdaq dropped .66% my portfolio would probably go down today and it actually went up $728. Hurray! I set up a portfolio on the Motley Fool and by 6:00 pm I can check it and see how I did each day. I'm amazed! The other day I diversified my portfolio and transferred some of my money to a small cap/medium cap index fund and it went up 3.56% today! Hurrah! I'm still up over $40,000 for the year which is more money than I ever made working in one year in my life! I diversified my portfolio in February because I had over 90% of my money in one technology fund and the high valuations in the Nasdaq really made me nervous. I kind of got the feeling that small and medium caps were valued about right so I switched some of my money over to that a couple of weeks ago. This is more fun than fishing.
- Art Just lucky I guess.

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19136 of 753897
Subject: Re: Monday-I can't wait! Date: 9/23/2000 12:12 AM
Recommendations: 8
We're just about in the same place. I told my boss last week. We're selling the house here in Silicon Valley and moving up to Portland, OR, later this year. Wife will continue to work a few more years because she likes it and will vest some more stock options. I will transition into pre-retirement mode for one year.

Ever since I spent the summer after high school going to school in Mexico and living with a Mexican family 35 years ago, I have wanted to get really into Spanish--finally become fluent and get to know the literature. After we have lived in Oregon for a year (to avoid out-of-state tuition) I will go to Portland State and get a degree (my fourth) in Spanish. In the meantime I will take some short-term contract jobs and inbetween take at least three 2-or 3-week full-time intensive Spanish immersion classes in Mexico. When the year is up, I'm a student again, but this time taking only the courses that interest me! Maybe I'll charge ahead for that degree in Spanish or maybe I'll intersperse courses in Teaching English as a Foreign Language. One thing I will definitely do is volunteer to teach English to Latinos in the Portland area--there is a tremendous need for that and not too many Gringos up there who know some Spanish.

So it's four to six weeks more at my last regular job, then some short-term temporary jobs with a mini-vacation after each one, then full-blown joblessness! Things are looking up.

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19139 of 753897
Subject: Re: Monday-I can't wait! Date: 9/23/2000 12:31 AM
Recommendations: 10
<<<<<Monday is the day I will tell my very surprised manager that I will be retiring in a few months>>>>>

Congrats on your coming retirement. As one who did it earlier this year I can tell you that you won't be sorry.

However, if you still have several months to go, you may want to hold off telling the boss. He/she may be less than thrilled. He can make your last few months miserable if he wants to. Or he could just find a reason to throw you out before you're ready to go. Do you have everything in order? Investments set to deliver a steady income stream, good market or bad? Health insurance in place?

I don't want to rain on your parade because I know how good you're going to feel when you deliver the news to the boss. But don't rush it. Just be sure you are prepared in case he says "Fine. And why don't you make the effective date today."

Good luck! Have a great retirement!

Author: readytime Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19144 of 753897
Subject: Re: Monday-I can't wait! Date: 9/23/2000 8:17 AM
Recommendations: 0
From msg above:

"However, if you still have several months to go, you may want to hold off telling the boss. He/she may be less than thrilled. He can make your last few months miserable if he wants to. Or he could just find a reason to throw you out before you're ready to go. Do you have everything in order? Investments set to deliver a steady income stream, good market or bad? Health insurance in place?"

Thanks for the advise. I think I am in pretty good shape. Not worried about the work environment once I let the cat out of the bag, but am always concerned about the planning side. Have enough (separate from my paid off house) to do a 4.25% withdrawl rate, and have investigated COBRA which I plan to use at the start. I've also played with insurance for after (from web sites info), but it's tough b/c I don't know where I'll be living.

Readytime

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19148 of 753897
Subject: Re: Monday-I can't wait! Date: 9/23/2000 10:08 AM
Recommendations: 2
I am crawling out of my skin, as Monday is the day I will tell my very surprised manager that I will be retiring in a few months.

Good luck with your future. As soon as I finished telling my colleagues that I was finished with the race, I felt as if the weight of the world had been lifted from my shoulders. When folks ask me what RE is like, I just smile. I don't know whether everyone has the same experience, but RE is one of the best decisions I have ever made. I have not regreted it for a single second. Have at it.

Author: TomSwiftSr Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19149 of 753897
Subject: Re: Monday-I can't wait! Date: 9/23/2000 10:30 AM
Curious why you chose Portland? (I also live in Silicon Valley).

I just finished reading Robert Kaplan's "The Empire Wilderness" -- which concludes with some strong recommendations for living in the Pacific Northwest. Note that Kaplan himself lives in western Masschusetts.

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19157 of 753897
Subject: Re: Monday-I can't wait! Date: 9/23/2000 12:11 PM
Recommendations: 4
Curious why you chose Portland

First consideration was to move somewhere with reasonable housing costs. We have owned our home for only six years, so could not possibly retire in it with a big mortgage in place. And in only six years we have accrued enough equity to almost buy a much nicer place elsewhere for cash (throw in the little extra we have set aside for housing and we're mortgage-free).

Second, I like cooler weather and rain. Wife lived on the prairies of Canada and Minneapolis until age 32, so the worst of Oregon weather will seem like a walk in the park to her.

Third, we will have the means to get away during the winters, for a month each year while wife still works, then for three months when she stops. I think that will make all the difference if the grey gloom gets to us.

Fourth, we fell in love with the place during our first visit there this past Labor Day. It's big enough to have the city stuff we like but small enough to be clean and charming. The suburbs we are interested in living in are near to being out in the country but close to downtown. And the air is amazingly clean and the light amazingly pure. We returned from Portland to the Bay Area on a bright sunny day and could see that what passes for "clear" here is really very hazy.

Fifth, we need to be near an airport with good connections for wife's heavy work travel schedule. She can work remote from her Silicon Valley HQ, but it helps that her company has a branch in the Portland area she can check into from time to time as needed.

Sixth, we will rent for six months or so and allow time for our enthusiasm to fade, if that's going to happen, before committing to a home purchase.

Author: AddiePaddie One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19169 of 753897
Subject: Re: Monday-I can't wait! Date: 9/23/2000 5:26 PM
<<Curious why you chose Portland? (I also live in Silicon Valley).>>>

We are also looking in Oregon. We have lived a lot of places and the Bay Area was always our favorite BUT not anymore. We sold our last house in Sonoma County in 1995. It is now too crowded, expensive, polluted and the quality of life is no longer there.
Certain areas of Oregon are very much like the Bay Area at a fraction of the price. We also found that many of the residents come from another state, especially California. We found people to be very friendly and helpful even though we had California plates on our car.
Rainy winters are better than 120 degree summers to me. We also found that the amount of rain varies from area to area.
AP

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement