Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: fishfem Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19409  
Subject: money and emotions Date: 11/22/2000 10:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
As a recently "retired" person, the greatest challenge, and one I did not anticipate, is the fear and emotion of spending money that I did not just recently "earn". No matter what my retirement analysis shows about the sufficiency of my funds, I just cant get over the emotional fear of a significantly reduced paycheck. It is irrational, but it is there none the less and I dont know what to do about it.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5658 of 19409
Subject: Re: money and emotions Date: 11/22/2000 11:05 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Greetings, Fishfem, and welcome. You wrote:

As a recently "retired" person, the greatest challenge, and one I did not anticipate, is the fear and emotion of spending money that I did not just recently "earn". No matter what my retirement analysis shows about the sufficiency of my funds, I just cant get over the emotional fear of a significantly reduced paycheck. It is irrational, but it is there none the less and I dont know what to do about it.

IMHO it's a natural fear. Don't despair because I'm sure that in the passage of time the fear will disappear as you see you aren't rapidly proceeding to the poor house where you must subsist on cat food. Bear with it. As I'm sure your mama once said to you, "It will get better."

Regards..Pixy

Author: TMFCookie Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5659 of 19409
Subject: Re: money and emotions Date: 11/22/2000 11:25 AM
My mother has been retired for about 20 years and only recently did she start taking money out of her funds on a regular basis.

Author: rjm1 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5662 of 19409
Subject: Re: money and emotions Date: 11/22/2000 7:42 PM
As a recently "retired" person, the greatest challenge, and one I did not anticipate, is the fear and emotion of spending
money that I did not just recently "earn". No matter what my retirement analysis shows about the sufficiency of my
funds, I just cant get over the emotional fear of a significantly reduced paycheck. It is irrational, but it is there none the
less and I dont know what to do about it.

I am not retired but putting several kids through college so I think I can understand your problem.

Maybe put your money for the current year in a seperate account will help.

Author: grandpa3 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5664 of 19409
Subject: Re: money and emotions Date: 11/22/2000 11:12 PM
fishfem if you are on S.S. and they are coming monthly just devide it by 4.33 and spend it every week. more will come next month. DON'T WORRY

Author: riverlad Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5665 of 19409
Subject: Re: money and emotions Date: 11/23/2000 12:44 PM
What I've found helpful, since I once had those feelings, is to construct an approximate budget of yearly expenses, then add up all sources of income: subtract one from the other and you'll have a good idea of either income shortfall or surplus. In the first case, a part-time job would possibly make up the deficit and also give you a sense of having a paycheck, however small.
If there's a surplus, take heart: in either case, it might help to look upon your S.S. and dividend checks, etc. as "pay" for all those years of hard work.
And, above all, relax and find better things to concentrate on - you deserve it!!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement