Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 34
I assume that most of you know who Fred Phelps is. In case you underwent hypnotism or a frontal lobotomy in order to have his name removed from your brain cells, he is the leader of that homophobic group that shows up to protest at soldier's funerals, claiming that God hates America because of homosexuality.

Yeah, him.

So a small Jewish temple that was created for gays found out that Fred Phelps, complete with the rest of the group, was going to protest in front of their temple. And they created a really nifty fund-raiser.

You know how you pledge money for bike rides and walkathons and so on? So much money per mile?

The temple managed to get people to contribute, so much per minute, for as long as Fred Phelps was in front of the temple screaming hatred and bigotry.

Phelps lasted 50 minutes. The temple raised $10,000.

http://www.popehat.com/2009/06/22/not-the-attention-they-wer...

I can see something like that really taking off. For every minute that those scum protest at a soldier's funeral, money for veterans and their families.

For every minute spent attacking gays, money for lobbying efforts for gay marriage (or AIDS research, if you prefer). For ranting about Judaism, money for B'nai B'rith or the Anti-Defamation League.

I think this idea has a lot of potential. I can even see various groups writing to Phelps, asking him for help with their fundraising.

And I can see Phelps shutting down, rather than help groups he hates.

What do you think? Possible?

Nancy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement