UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: rwbennett Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75538  
Subject: Monthly purchases-How to go about it? Date: 1/15/2001 3:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have about $50 a month to invest (LT of course).
In the arena of buying individual stocks, say I have 5 stocks that I really like, what would be the best way to establish positions in each of the five for the long term? Buy $50 of one each month? Buy $10 each every month? Just what is the best way? Also, my current brokerage fee is $8 per trade. Thx RB
Print the post Back To Top
Author: thehendrys Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27201 of 75538
Subject: Re: Monthly purchases-How to go about it? Date: 1/15/2001 3:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Also, my current brokerage fee is $8 per trade.

I would not use a normal broker for these types of trades. It is better to DRIP if you are investing $50 monthly. Two good places to setup an account for this type of investing is sharebuilder.com and buyandhold.com.

About the other question $50 in 1 or $10 in 5 stocks each month... If you use buyandhold, I think they charge $2 per transaction, so if you only did $10, that would be a 20% commission - ouch. If you did $50 each month, then that is only a 4% fee, which is more reasonable.

Good luck,
the hendrys

Author: Ringfinger Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27203 of 75538
Subject: Re: Monthly purchases-How to go about it? Date: 1/15/2001 4:37 PM
Recommendations: 1
If you set up EZVest with B&H, you can get away with $1.99 trades. I would try that above anything else.

Author: garytotalfool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27239 of 75538
Subject: Re: Monthly purchases-How to go about it? Date: 1/16/2001 2:21 PM
Recommendations: 0
I beleive you will be best served Dripping direct with the companies you choose if they offer a free Drip program. Why spend even $2 when you don't have to?
Check out the drip port here at the Fool. The drip investing basics board is a good place to start.

Good Luck Gary

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement