UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: abFatPitch Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1881  
Subject: Monthly update Date: 6/19/2009 7:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I have been generating short-term capital gains taxes the past month by frequent trading of the Ultra short S&P ETF, SDS, and also the Ultra short long bond fund, TBT.

That is all.

: ) ab
Print the post Back To Top
Author: abFatPitch Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1871 of 1881
Subject: Re: Monthly update Date: 10/23/2009 7:26 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Not dead yet!

Nobody still monitoring this board I'm sure, but just in case, I'm slowly returning to the market after a bit of a hiatus. I needed it. I've started up a second business and spending most of my extra time with that. Haven't read a Motley Fool post in 4 months : )

Hope everyone is well.

ab

Author: buylowersellhigh Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1872 of 1881
Subject: Re: Monthly update Date: 10/23/2009 11:15 AM
Recommendations: 0
Glad to see your return.

So what new business venture have you started? Medical related?

-BLSH

Author: abFatPitch Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1873 of 1881
Subject: Re: Monthly update Date: 10/24/2009 7:18 AM
Glad to see your return.

So what new business venture have you started? Medical related?

-BLSH

Thanks.

Automotive aftermarket. Always been a car guy.

Author: xerohype Big red star, 1000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1874 of 1881
Subject: Re: Monthly update Date: 10/24/2009 10:48 PM
Hi ab:

I still look in from time to time. I've been diversifying my holdings over the last year. My last buy has been TFI an ETF for muni bonds.

Hope your car-related venture is going well.

Cheers,

Erick

Author: IcyWolf Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1875 of 1881
Subject: Re: Monthly update Date: 10/27/2009 1:11 AM
Hi ab,

Nice to seeya around ... good luck et al with your new venture ...

Take care,
IcyWolf

Author: abFatPitch Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1876 of 1881
Subject: Re: Monthly update Date: 10/27/2009 5:35 AM
Hi ab:

I still look in from time to time. I've been diversifying my holdings over the last year. My last buy has been TFI an ETF for muni bonds.

Hope your car-related venture is going well.

Cheers,

Erick

Hi ab,

Nice to seeya around ... good luck et al with your new venture ...

Take care,
IcyWolf

Hello gentlemen and thank you.

Who's doing what in the market?

Shorter-term, it appears the DOW cannot hold 10K. Maybe a short ETF like DXD is in order.

ab

Author: IcyWolf Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1878 of 1881
Subject: Re: Monthly update Date: 10/30/2009 8:59 AM
Howdy ab,

Picking spots VERY cautiously ... unlike you I don't look to short term investments very often ... I keep seeking deeper value thats not quite so obvious to others ... So I have begun dabbling in some Canadian royalty trusts that seem to have been marked down too much ... and Hudson City Bank did appear interesting to me so dipped a toe in there with my Momentum Port ... we'll see ...

Otherwise I went into some telecom a while back (VZ) and am keeping on eye on that ... I keep watching for both Telecom and or Utility infrastructure plays to exhibit signs that the ARRA will allow for more than a short term transitory play, but I don't think I see such signs yet ... but then again, maybe I need to get out of the den a bit more often <smile>? However, here on the Northern Plains winter seems to be coming in strong and early, so maybe its a sign to hunker down and wait out the chilly winds blowing through all sorts of environments?

Take care,
IcyWolf

Author: abFatPitch Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1879 of 1881
Subject: Re: Monthly update Date: 10/30/2009 6:39 PM
Hello there my frozen, furry, four-legged friend : ) Thanks for sticking around.

As noted, Wed with the market drop, I added my first two individual stocks in quite some time, AA and KIRK. Yesterday made me look pretty good. Today I give back 1/2 the AA gain and KIRK is actually up a smidge. Today I added just a shade of DROOY.

If the dollar rallies, then I'll need to get out of AA and DROOY pretty quick. I like both individually as AA I believe has decent longer-term fundamentals at current prices (though it could easily drop to 8-9 with a market collapse), and DROOY is a hedge. If the world goes to s*** again gold will rally. Now that its above 1000 it has a chance of staying there unless the dollar rallies. At some point US interest rates are going to go up, the deficit piper will need to be paid and gold will rally. That could be awhile yet to play out though.

Also at some point US treasuries are going in the can. I've played the short long-bond ETF, TBT, and will continue to do so. Also at some point, oil will rise again, perhaps if the world appears to be stabilizing, and XOM will be a good play. Like to see it at 60 again. If oil is rising ag probably will too and I've put POT, AGU and MOS on my watch list.

ab - random macro musings

Author: xerohype Big red star, 1000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1880 of 1881
Subject: Re: Monthly update Date: 11/4/2009 7:03 PM
Hi ab:

I'm watching things in the market for now. I think the trend is down after topping out at 10K and will start putting money into equities at about 8K or so. I still do buys on a regular basis on my 401K and have been paying down my house mortgage and should have the whole thing paid off by next year (a guaranteed 6% return!).

Good to see you and Icy around.

Erick

Author: abFatPitch Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1881 of 1881
Subject: Re: Monthly update Date: 11/5/2009 7:22 AM
Hi ab:

I'm watching things in the market for now. I think the trend is down after topping out at 10K and will start putting money into equities at about 8K or so. I still do buys on a regular basis on my 401K and have been paying down my house mortgage and should have the whole thing paid off by next year (a guaranteed 6% return!).

Good to see you and Icy around.

Erick

Sounds like a good plan.

I agree about 10K on the Dow. Yesterday I sold my KIRK and AA positions in the morning and later went short the Dow. Unfortunately, I think we could see a considerable period of sideways markets. So I think 10.3K tops on Dow, not sure on downside though 8K ounds reasonable.

Keep me updated from time to time.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement