UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Patnbj Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5793  
Subject: MOOTFL vs RE??? Date: 5/22/2002 11:18 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
It would seems MOOTFL and RE might be mutually exclusive goals. I, however have been fortunate enough to have the two goals in my plans within the last decade and have found the two goals to be quite compatible.

Over the years, either by design or by accident (in the case of layoff), I have had opportunities to slow my work life down. I've worked part-time for a while and didn't work at all for extended time periods. Yes, it has been hard to go back to work full throttle after these down times, but OTOH

-I have had shorter-term intermediate goals, rather than just a far off goal of retiring some day

-Each ER trial really motivates me to reach the ultimate goal of retirement

FWIW, I am now no more than three years away from ER, so I'll probably try to take one more short-term break before the big event. And, even after I do retire, I will work a little bit--however my interests rather than money will be the prime motivation.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Feste Award Winner Announced!
Congrats to the Winner of the 2013 Feste Award!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement