No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm sooo late to that thread, I thought I'd start a new one.

Speaking of classes & colleges, many colleges--especially public colleges--offer low-cost and free events ranging from student/faculty/guest recitals/theatre/opera and art exhibits, to movies, lectures, and just a pleasant place to hang out & people-watch or take a walk. (Just thought of college sports--I'm not into sports, but I suspect there may be a ticket charge to help support the teams. But it must be a lot cheaper than professional sports.)

I recently attended the local public college Japan Club's first movie night of the semester, to see one of the best anime ever made. My friend and I enjoyed the discussion following the movie as well as the movie itself. My husband and I recently attended the grand reopening of the college's expanded art center with a fabulous exhibit of a local reclusive artist's collages. All free! Even free snacks at both events.

I would never consider retiring far from a college with interesting, (cheap & free) events that are open to the public. A pretty campus is a plus--some of them have lovely landscaping, botanical gardens, and bike paths. Note that there are often cheap restaurants near a campus.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Last week I visited my daughter, who just moved to NYC. The Museum of Modern Art, like many museums, offers not only senior discounts (25% off for 65+), but a free entrance period every week, in this case Fridays 4-8pm.

Speaking of museums, DH & I belong to our local small art museum. Our membership card entitles us to free entry to many other smallish museums around the country, including the Georgia O'Keeffe museum all the way in Santa Fe.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Speaking of classes & colleges, many colleges--especially public colleges--offer low-cost and free events ranging from student/faculty/guest recitals/theatre/opera and art exhibits, to movies, lectures, and just a pleasant place to hang out & people-watch or take a walk

Some lectures at Arizona State also include a free lunch. Talk about low cost leisure!!!
Advertisement