UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dphirschler One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308478  
Subject: more money for paying off debt Date: 4/23/1999 8:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Here's two things you can do to instantly get more money ($60-100 a month) to pay off the plastic. I have done both.

1. cancel cable TV. There's $30-50 a month extra to pay towards the plastic. Instead invest about $100 in a rooftop antenna and possibly a signal amplifier. My picture is cable quality and never goes "out."

2. cancel your sportsclub membership. Again, there's $30-50 a month extra to pay off the plastic. The way I figure, I'm out of shape financially so I need the extra money to get out of debt. In the mean time, I can take more walks and ride my bike.

Darryl
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JABoa Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9098 of 308478
Subject: Re: more money for paying off debt Date: 4/23/1999 10:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
There are lots of tips over on the Living Below Your Means board for reducung expenses painlessly. Go there, click on any individual message, then go down to the Tips and FAQ's which are highlighted in green at the bottom.

Author: CherryCAS Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9099 of 308478
Subject: Re: more money for paying off debt Date: 4/23/1999 10:37 AM
<<1. cancel cable TV. There's $30-50 a month extra to pay towards the plastic.
Instead invest about $100 in a rooftop antenna and possibly a signal amplifier.>>

I wonder how many people realize just how much money they throw away on cable? My
husband wanted the premium package, so we are paying close to $70 a month, not
including the $4.95 for each pay-per-view we may buy. What a waste! There's STILL
nothing on to watch, even with 85 channels! I've been trying to convince him to
switch to basic cable, if only for a short while to help pay off this ridiculous Macy's
CC, but he won't do it. One day, I'd like to get the satellite dish.

Cherry

Author: pwyles Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9101 of 308478
Subject: Re: more money for paying off debt Date: 4/23/1999 12:23 PM
<<I wonder how many people realize just how much money they throw away on cable? My husband wanted the premium package, so we are paying close to $70 a month, not including the $4.95 for each pay-per-view we may buy. What a waste! There's STILL nothing on to watch, even with 85 channels!>>

Cherry

Cable TV is one point I have conceeded on. My wife and kids believe it is worth the cost even if I can't stomach most TV. When I try to say what a waste cable is the response is what about the second phone line for the computer, which is a fair question. Solution I have a phone line for the computer, my wife has cable, those two "necessities" aren't questioned, and we have marital peace.

~~paul

Author: x4a54 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9140 of 308478
Subject: Re: more money for paying off debt Date: 4/24/1999 1:33 AM
One day, I'd like to get the satellite dish.

satellite ????

let me know how you do it.
i pay significantly more than cable for mine.

jp

Author: SpaceEngineer Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9170 of 308478
Subject: Re: more money for paying off debt Date: 4/26/1999 9:58 AM

satellite ????

let me know how you do it.
i pay significantly more than cable for mine.

(In a trance-inducing, soothing, hypnotic voice)
Buuuuuy the saatelllliiiiiittee diiiiissh. Buuuuuy the saatelllliiiiiittee diiiiissh.

I need the work.

SpaceEngineer

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9176 of 308478
Subject: Re: more money for paying off debt Date: 4/26/1999 5:06 PM

I've got both: satellite and cable. I UnFoolishly bought the dish thinking that I'd be able to beat my cable bill, but for us, that didn't turn out to be the case.

At least in my area, a dish requires that you need to purchase service from different vendors (one for movies). By the time I put together a package comparable to what I get with cable, it costs even more than what I had.

I do have both currently. The dish enhances what cable gives me, and I never watch it. Arrrgh! I keep it available so far for my wife, but that may change as I don't think she cares one way or the other. ;)

As far as giving up cable, I don't want to do that, as I like the local cable I get--stations only available on cable.

The picture and sound are nice, but to be honest, I don't find any difference over the cable which is excellent.

Oh, and to keep this on topic....the satellite services do automatically charge my bills to Visa. ;)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: TMFSandy Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9182 of 308478
Subject: Re: more money for paying off debt Date: 4/26/1999 7:06 PM

I've got both: satellite and cable. I UnFoolishly bought the dish thinking that I'd be able to beat my cable bill, but for us, that didn't turn out to be the case.

At least in my area, a dish requires that you need to purchase service from different vendors (one for movies). By the time I put together a package comparable to what I get with cable, it costs even more than what I had.

I do have both currently. The dish enhances what cable gives me, and I never watch it. Arrrgh! I keep it available so far for my wife, but that may change as I don't think she cares one way or the other. ;)

As far as giving up cable, I don't want to do that, as I like the local cable I get--stations only available on cable.

The picture and sound are nice, but to be honest, I don't find any difference over the cable which is excellent.

Oh, and to keep this on topic....the satellite services do automatically charge my bills to Visa. ;)

Sounds like DirectTV. I was able to get Dish network for less than Warner cable for the channel mix I wanted. They have everything we watch--except local channels--put an antenna in the attic for them; picture is better than Warner had on some! Rate is enough lower that in two years (if I recall correctly) our costs will be less including even the purchase price of the equipment (they have a rebate plan going, but we had to get extra :-), and it didn't cover the antenna for local stations).

By the way, they have substantial discounts if you pay on an annual basis--enough to overcome the loss of the money (at a reasonable return).

But that's not any reason to charge the annual fees to a credit card :-).

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9183 of 308478
Subject: Re: more money for paying off debt Date: 4/26/1999 7:09 PM
But that's not any reason to charge the annual fees to a credit card :-)

Sure it is, Sandy! Airmiles, Fool! Airmiles. ;)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: TMFSandy Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9184 of 308478
Subject: Re: more money for paying off debt Date: 4/26/1999 7:13 PM
But that's not any reason to charge the annual fees to a credit card :-)

Sure it is, Sandy! Airmiles, Fool! Airmiles. ;)

Yep. I was unclear. This being the credit card folder, I didn't want to encourage anyone to charge the annual fee to a credit card and pay it off over time :-).

OT: By the way, what is there in Aruba that keeps you coming back year after year? Note, I've never been there; I'm asking a serious question.

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9185 of 308478
Subject: Re: more money for paying off debt Date: 4/26/1999 7:50 PM
OT: By the way, what is there in Aruba that keeps you coming back year after year? Note, I've never been there; I'm asking a serious question.

Not terribly OT, Sandy, as Aruba is what I use my airmiles for. ;)

We go back every year because the beaches are wonderful, the people are amazingly friendly, there's virtually no crime (100% employment), top quality food, and it almost never rains.

If you or anyone else would like my list of recommendations for what to do when there, feel free to drop me an email and I'll pass it along. I'm asked about it all the time. ;)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement