Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Tuni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19222  
Subject: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/10/2003 5:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 17

Subject: Are you older than dirt?

Hey Dad," one of my kids asked the other day, "What was your favorite
fast food when you were growing up?"

"We didn't have fast food when I was growing up," I informed him. "All
the food was slow."

"C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?"

"It was a place called 'at home," I explained. "Grandma cooked every
day and when Grandpa got home from work, we sat down together at the
dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was
allowed to sit there until I did like it."

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to
suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood
if I figured his system could have handled it: Some parents NEVER owned
their own house, wore Levis, set foot on a golf course, traveled out of
the country or had a credit card. In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears AND Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore.
Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because
we never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50
pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 8, but my
grandparents had one before that. It was, of course, black and white, but they bought a piece of colored plastic to cover the screen. The top third was blue, like the sky, and the bottom third was green, like grass. The middle third was red. It was perfect for programs that had scenes of fire trucks riding across someone's lawn on a sunny day. Some people had a lens taped to the front of the TV to make the picture look larger.

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in
the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you
had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already
using the line.

I was 12 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called "pizza pie."
When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid
off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too.
It's still the best pizza I ever had.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was. All newspapers
were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers. I delivered a
newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which I got to
keep 2 cents. I had to get up at 4 AM every morning. On Saturday, I had
to collect the 42 cents from my customers. My favorite customers were the ones who gave me 50 cents and told me to keep the
change. My least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never
be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the
movies. Touching someone else's tongue with yours was called French
kissing and they didn't do that in movies. I don't know what they did in
French movies. French movies were dirty and we weren't allowed to see
them.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want
to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing. Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

Found an old Royal Crown Cola bottle at Mom's house. In the bottle top
was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it
was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to "sprinkle" clothes with because we didn't have steam irons.

Man, I am old.

How many of the following do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.
Real ice boxes.
Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz: Count all the ones that you actually remember!
Ratings at the bottom.

1. Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottles for a nickel
5. Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party line phones
8. Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (GArden 32697)
12. Peashooters
13. Tin toys
14. 45 RPM records
15. S&H Green Stamps
16. Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19. Blue flashbulb
20. "Five and Dime" store
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers
26. "Made in Japan" meant a cheap knock off product
27. Beany and Cecil
28. Howdy Doody
29. Mr. Wizard
30. Cardboard handheld fans

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age
If you remembered 16-30 = You're older than dirt!

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8840 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/10/2003 5:25 PM
Recommendations: 1
Faboo, tuni.

cliff
... three days older than dirt.

Author: TheBadger Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8841 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/10/2003 5:39 PM
Recommendations: 3
31. Liver & onions for dinner
32. Unable to buy meat on Saturdays or Sundays
33. 1st Anniversary Corvette (extra dirt if you drove one)
34. Washing & drying dishes BY HAND.
35. Your 1st TV dinner
36. Hydrodrive.
37. Stoking the Ben Franklin to get hot water.
38. Indoor plumbing.
39. Flash Gordon.
40. Post a letter for 2 cents.

I got 40 out of 40.

TheBadger

Author: Tuni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8842 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/10/2003 6:02 PM
Recommendations: 0
24 for me, but don't tell anyone!!!
<LOL>

Author: ibnana Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8843 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/10/2003 7:55 PM
Recommendations: 2
I got all 40 and could add a bunch more, I guess.

This past Sunday brought it back because I remember Pearl Harbor. The only way we got pictures of WWII was the newsreels before the movies and we didn't have a big theater in my small town so the news wasn't very up to date so we relied on newspapers and gathered around the radio every night and counted our ration coupons. I've often thought that in a way I'm glad we didn't have TV news coverage in the 40's. It would have pretty scary to see all that so immediately.

In the late 40's when I was in high school, it was a rare treat to baby sit for someone who actually had a TV set and be able to watch pro wrestling on a little balck and white screen.

I was a fan of Little Orphan Annie and also Jack Armstrong, All-American Boy on the radio. I love the movie, A Christmas Story, now out on a new DVD. Ralphy is the same age my DH and I were in those same years. DH wanted a Red Ryder BB gun too and our moms also warned us to be careful not to shoot someone's eye out. It was filmed in Cleveland and I also visited Santa at the Higbee Company on Cleveland Public Square. We rode by train to go to the big city to see him.

BTW, in the original list, that should be ditto paper, not mimeograph. Ditto was purple print and had a funny smell. Mimeo looked ordinary, black on white paper.

Carol

Author: jg4 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8844 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/10/2003 7:59 PM
Don't remember Blackjack gum, but unfortunately, I remember all the rest. The plastic cover for the TV to get technicolor, wow. I remember dad taping it to the TV and we thought it was terrific. Also seeing TV for the first time at a neighbors. A little round screen in a large console, but we were entranced by it. Our phone number was GArden 69712, remember it after all those years.

Also,

Flat tires all the time and waiting until dad came back with another one. The car was probably 1930's vintage.

The dry ice cooler that fit in the window and was supposed to cool the car down like an air conditioner, but it was not very effective.

The tin cans that littered the double lane highways and the Burma Shave signs and billboards lining the highways.

Terrible head on collisions on the highways.

Hot nights w/o air conditioning and turning the pillow to the cooler side until both sides were wet.

Putting salted peanuts into our cokes.

The hand pump gas stations were just being replaced, but a lot of them still had the older pump models.

Seeing the '49 Ford coupe and thinking how incredibly modern it looked with no separate fenders.

The Little Rascals at the 10 cent Saturday movies. Also, Gene Autrey, The Durango Kid, Lash Larue, etc.

Listening to the radio mysteries. Nothing has ever been as spooky to me as Intersanctum. Remember running into my sisters room and it was just finishing. I told her I was going to my room where we had another radio to hear it. She explained that it would be finished on my radio also.

Thanks for remembering these things, it is nice to know that there are others who do,

JG

Author: ibnana Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8845 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/10/2003 8:10 PM
Dumont was the big brand of early TVs.

Carol

Author: iamdb Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8846 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/10/2003 10:09 PM
I remember:

Collecting the foil wrappers around cigarette packs and roll them together into a ball for the war effort.

Chyrsler's fluid drive that was designed to make shifting smoother. Later Buick's Dynaflow, an automatic transmission that of course was called dynaflush. You could have the jerky but efficient Hydromatic or the smooth bur inefficient Dynaflow. These technologies, planetary gears and torque converter, have been combined in modern auto trannies,

Ice delivery was via the ally behind our house. What a delight it was to grab slivers of ice off the truck.

My grandparent's had a Packard-Bell radio-phono combination that cut records. Our family would assume roles in skits that we recorded.

My first car was a '47 Mecury convertible -- what a sense of freedom that car provided.

db
Feel young at 67, but probably older than dirt

Author: Trini209 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8847 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/11/2003 6:53 AM
A sticker on the car window with the letter "A" that indicated how much gasoline we were rationed - our car wasn't part of the "war effort,", so our gasoline was very limitted. My dad would save it up for an occasional summer trip to Jones Beach.

A school bank account, an actual one, where we could deposit our few pennies and get real interest. By the time I finished 6th grade, I had proudly saved up about $10.

Having all those childhood diseases - mumps, measles, whooping cough. Young folks now don't even know what they are. Oh, and spending most of the summer in the backyard avoiding crowds at beaches, pools, even the movie thearer; polio was a terrifying threat. Remember those pictures of hospital wards filled with kids in iron lungs? I don't imagine they survived all that long.

Grey pennies that weren't copper. Copper was needed for the war effort. What were those pennies made of, anyway? They weren't fazed out for several years after the war. and there were red cardboard pennies, too - we'd save up used cookiing oil and fat dripings and bring them to the butcher, who collected barrels of it for the war effort (did they make soap out of it? You got a red cardboard penny for each pound of fat you recycled.

Metal taps on heels and toes of shoes - shoes were rationed, and the taps made them last longer. And when your soles or heels did wear out, you brought them to the shoemaker, who repaired them. No one in my family had more than one pair of shoes at a time. Do you remember the smell of the shoemaker's shop? Leather, polish, hide glue?

Large squadrons of planes occasionally flying overhead, maybe 100 at a time, in formation. Where were they going?

The Victory Garden in the backyard, where we tried to grow as much produce as we could.

Stars in the windows of families who had lost sons or husbands in the war.

Penny candy - red wax lips, little wax bottles with syrup inside, little chocolate people everyone actually called nigger babies!

The subway cost a nickle. The seats were made of woven rafia, or maybe cane. the windows were openable for ventilation in the summer, even in the tunnels.

Ladies wore hats and gloves in public. In the summer, my gloves were white cotton mesh, crocheted, I think. If it was REALLY hot, it was acceptable to hold your gloves in your hand instead of actually wearing them. From Easter to Labor Day your gloves and shoes were white, and men and women wore straw hats. After Labor Day, you went back to black or brown shoes and felt hats.

I never once ate in a restaurant until I was 17 or 18. We cooked all our food, although I remember some canned stuff, like peas. No home freezer, and no prepared food. We didn't ever have soda - in the summer my mother would make ice tea, lemonade, or iced coffee - we had two ice cube trays in a all compartment in the refrigerator. If you wanted ice cream, you went to the candy store, where a single scoop cone was a nickle. If you had the money, you could get an ice cream soda or a malted milk.

Boy, I could go on and on.

Trini

Author: going2win Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8848 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/11/2003 12:30 PM
Listening to the radio mysteries. Nothing has ever been as spooky to me as Intersanctum. Remember running into my sisters room and it was just finishing. I told her I was going to my room where we had another radio to hear it. She explained that it would be finished on my radio also.

Thanks for remembering these things, it is nice to know that there are others who do,

JG

I also loved "The Shadow" as well.

g2w

Author: jg4 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8849 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/11/2003 12:34 PM
My first car was a '47 Mecury convertible -- what a sense of freedom that car provided.

Wow, all these memories. My first car was a 47 Plymouth also, but a 2-door coupe, that my dad bought me when I was in high school. It cost $147 and was in perfect condition in 1957 when I got it. The fenders were built like iron. The steel sheets used were much heavier gauge than on modern cars.

JG

Author: jg4 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8850 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/11/2003 12:36 PM
I also loved "The Shadow" as well.

Remember the voice that said "...the Shadow knows." Very spooky. Can't remember the rest of what he said.

JG

Author: going2win Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8851 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/11/2003 12:40 PM
Remember the voice that said "...the Shadow knows." Very spooky. Can't remember the rest of what he said.

JG

I loved the evil laugh after he said "the Shadow knows"

I believe Orson Welles provided the voice.

g2w

Author: mendomann Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8852 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/11/2003 1:58 PM
Grey pennies that weren't copper. Copper was needed for the war effort. What were those pennies made of, anyway?

I belive those grey pennies were made of zinc and were minted in 1943.

Author: CABob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8853 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/11/2003 2:38 PM
I am probably much younger than I look but ……

"...the Shadow knows." Very spooky. Can't remember the rest of what he said.

“Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men…the Shadow knows.”

Stars in the windows of families who had lost sons or husbands in the war.

Gold stars for those lost, blue stars for those currently serving.

red cardboard pennies

I recall these also. Weren't they worth a tenth of a penny? Used for tax, etc.?

A sticker on the car window with the letter "A" that indicated how much gasoline we were rationed

Don't recall the A sticker but I recall rationing stamps for gas and sugar. Also a 1941 Chevrolet with a sticker on the speedometer, indicating that one should limit speed to 35mph to conserve gas, tires, etc. Also remember that car being driven from Michigan to California shortly after the war driving on pre war tires.

Bob

Author: FlaBuckeye Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8854 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/11/2003 4:46 PM
Remember standing in the ration line with Mom during WW2.
Getting home and being the one she allowed to squeeze and mix the red dot in the lard so it looked like butter?

Dad lining holes in the tires with newspaper so they would go a little farther.

And what about crystal radios?

Could go on forever but I have to go cash my royalty check. I've got the pattent on ice ;-)

Author: ibnana Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8855 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/11/2003 9:50 PM
Getting home and being the one she allowed to squeeze and mix the red dot in the lard so it looked like butter?

Eeeeeeewww!! That wasn't lard, it was vegetable shortening. It had the margarine flavor, but there was a law against having "fake" butter made yellow. Wouldn't want innocent people to think they were buying the real stuff, ya know.

I remember it made big news when we could actually buy yellow margarine. (I still write oleo on my shopping list!).

These old-timey lists turn up with regularity, often on HURL, but it is fun to reminisce and one-up others with what one remembers. Whoever said he was 68, I'm older than you are. Nyah! Nyah! ;-) And I don't know whether to brag or complain!

Carol, a GaBuckeye. Where was your Ohio home?

Author: Trini209 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8856 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/11/2003 10:15 PM
And oh, I just remembered - the headlights on our '33 chevy were dimmed (during the war) by putting black tape over the top 1/2 of the lamp. This was to make things less visible to enemy planes should they ever fly over us.

And everyone had to have black window shades pulled down over the windows at night for the same reason.

My father was a "warden," and he volunteered to walk up and down the block for a certain number of hours a week to enforce the above rules and remind people who forgot to pull down their shades.

Trini

Author: ibnana Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8857 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/11/2003 10:36 PM
This was to make things less visible to enemy planes should they ever fly over us.

Trini,

Did your family live on the east coast then, as you do now?

We in the midwest didn't often have "blackout nights" or have to worry about whether those were enemy planes.

We were also better off than some, because we lived on a small farm. My dad grew up on a farm, but was not a farmer by occupation then. He always had a big garden and we had a few animals so the food rationing didn't affect us quite as much as some. We were outside our village though so the gas rationing hit us more.

Carol

Author: Grumpybiker Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8858 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/11/2003 10:52 PM
<...My first car was a 47 Plymouth also, but a 2-door coupe, that my dad bought me when I was in high school. It cost $147 and was in perfect condition in 1957 when I got it. The fenders were built like iron. The steel sheets used were much heavier gauge than on modern cars.

JG ...
>

I remember my first car. It was a '50 Plymouth 2-door coupe, black, and pre-owned by that proverbial little old lady. That was in California and there was, of course, no rust on that car.
Had a three speed standard transmission with the shift lever on the column! It was my Christmas '63 present and I too was in high school when my parents bought me this car. I really learned how to drive with it. Remember having to double-clutch when shifting into the lower gears? Alas, I didn't have it that long. I reported for basic training in March of '64.

Regards,
Grumpy

Author: WrnBuffett Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8864 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/12/2003 3:14 AM
Remember most, although Cokes were a dime by the time I was able to buy one.

Author: Trini209 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8865 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/12/2003 5:57 AM
Yes, I grew up in Queens, in NYC. We lived not too far from Laguardia Airport, and my father would occasionally take us over there to stand on the "observation deck" and watch the planes take off and land.

Roosevelt Field, now a big shopping mall, wasn't too far out on Long Island, and I believe it and several other airfields on Long Island (Queens and Brooklyn are on Long Island) housed military aircraft.

After the war, we took a bus and went to the opening celebration of a new airport, Idlewild. We were able to enter and examine several commercial airplanes. That was the only time I was ever in an airplane until my first flight, a year after my marriage! Idlewild Airport was renamed Kennedy Airport after the president was assasinated.

Trini

Boy, this whole thread is making me feel older and older <G>

Author: FlaBuckeye Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8866 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/12/2003 8:23 AM

Carol, a GaBuckeye. Where was your Ohio home?

Born & raised in Cleveland, relocated and spent 20 years in Columbus.
Call the west side home. Kids and grandkids are still there.

Moved to Cape Coral 2 years ago. Sure beats the "Lake Effect"

Author: going2win Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8868 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/12/2003 10:53 AM
Born & raised in Cleveland, relocated and spent 20 years in Columbus.
Call the west side home. Kids and grandkids are still there.

Moved to Cape Coral 2 years ago. Sure beats the "Lake Effect"

I was born and raised in Cleveland on the East Side (Nottingham and then Mentor.)

Moved to Phoenix 23 years ago. And it sure does beat the "Lake Effect."

g2w

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8869 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/12/2003 1:21 PM
Trini, wasn't Roosevelt field the place where Charles Lindbergh took off on his flight across the Atlantic?

Author: ibnana Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8872 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/13/2003 12:19 AM
Sure beats the "Lake Effect"

Ah, yes!!! I'm from Hudson, southeast of Cleveland and on the edge of the snowbelt. We always had a lot more snow than Akron, about 15 or so miles south of us.

We left Hudson in 1976, but my mom was still there until her death in 1996 so I was back at least once a year....always in the summer if I had a choice.

Carol.....11/12/33........beat both y'all

Author: Trini209 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8873 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 12/13/2003 5:41 AM
Trini, wasn't Roosevelt field the place where Charles Lindbergh took off on his flight across the Atlantic?

Yes, indeed. Practically the entire old airfield is now shopping malls and industrial park. One string of several old hangars remained, and they have been renovated into museums - the Long Island Children's Museum, an airplane museum, and one, not yet open, that houses an old merry-go-round that they're renovating.

There were several military airbases on Long Island during WWII. One, still owned by the Federal Gov't., is now Brookhaven National Laboratories.

Trini

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8892 of 19222
Subject: Re: More on older than dirt.... Date: 1/1/2004 4:56 PM
Heck, half the people alive today have never seen

a) an 8 track tape player
b) a house with only a black and white TV set, and separate UHF tuner box
c) A working Victrola, other than in a museum
d) 78 rpm records
e) AM only console radios with tubes. Heck, most haven't seen a tube radio or used one, no less a tube hi-fi that glowed in the dark
f) a refrigerator that was not self defrosting. Or seen an 'icebox' other than the styrofoam type for taking to the picnic or in a camper.
g) A wood or coal cooking stove
h) a real mobile MTS or IMTS phone that cost $3000 and $300/month to use
i) been on a gasoline powered propeller driven commercial airliner
j) Seen anything less that a 13 cent postage stamp that was good for 'first class postage', or know what a 'penny post card' is.
k) seen a 1 cent gumball machine
l) know who Howdy Doody, the Lone RAnger, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans are, or heard of Ed Sullivan, Lawwrence Welk, Amos and Andy.

I was recently amazed when my two 22/26 year old nieces had never heard of Lawrence Welk (who had the longest running show on TV).

I'm sure that in 40 years, they'll be wondering why the new generation doesn't have a clue about things used in 2003/4.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement