Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 40817  
Subject: More on Omega-3 Date: 12/16/2012 12:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Not surprisingly, it's more beneficial to eat fish high in omega-3 several times a week than it is to take omega-3 supplements.
http://www.bmj.com/content/345/bmj.e6698?tab=responses

According to a blurb in the NYTimes about this review, "eating 2 to 4 servings of fish a week reduced stroke risk by 6% compared with eating one serving or less and having 5 servings a week reduced the risk by 12%. But the result of randomized trials that had use omega-3 supplements showed no significant effect on risk."

Now, I love fish and eat it for dinner at least once a week and for lunch one or twice. But I rarely have it 5 times a week.

I know that omega-3 has other benefits so I will continue to take my "Complete Omega 3-6-9" as well as eat fish high in omega-3.

Christina
Print the post Back To Top
Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38113 of 40817
Subject: Re: More on Omega-3 Date: 12/16/2012 1:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Now, I love fish and eat it for dinner at least once a week and for lunch one or twice. But I rarely have it 5 times a week.

You and me both.

Here's something to ponder, though. There's *strokes* and "strokes". A high consumption of n-3 PUFA's (whether by supplement use or because you're an Eskimo with nothing else to eat but fatty fish and more fatty fish) correlates quite strongly with an increase in haemorrhagic strokes.

Thing is, when you start to get fretting about stuff like this, I reckon that the health effects of trying to micro-manage the grains of sand ends up killing the benefits of getting the rocks in place (per the Rocks, Pebbles, Sand analogy WRT what Life's bucket should hold)

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38116 of 40817
Subject: Re: More on Omega-3 Date: 12/16/2012 7:53 PM
A high consumption of n-3 PUFA's (whether by supplement use or because you're an Eskimo with nothing else to eat but fatty fish and more fatty fish) correlates quite strongly with an increase in haemorrhagic strokes.

Well....sure. Very high doses have significant anti-platelet activity.
That's why fish oil is one of the things you have to cut out before any kind of surgery.

sheila

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38117 of 40817
Subject: Re: More on Omega-3 Date: 12/17/2012 8:48 AM

Just mentioned it on the off-chance that there was someone visiting who, never having had any surgery or being unaware of the anti-platelet activity, didn't know.

Author: joikim Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38118 of 40817
Subject: Re: More on Omega-3 Date: 12/17/2012 9:35 AM
In eating fish high in Omega-3, don't you have to be careful of mercury and other toxins that concentrate in the meat? I would think that 5 x week would increase your consumption of the toxins. For that reason, we have stopped eating tuna completely and eat salmon only occasionally. From what I've read, the fish oil supplements have little to no PCB's or mercury compared to fish meat since the supplements are made from the smaller fish that do not concentrate the toxins as much as the larger meat fish. At least that's what I've been able to find out using the interwebs ;) Please let me know if this is incorrect.
Thanks
JK

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38119 of 40817
Subject: Re: More on Omega-3 Date: 12/17/2012 12:25 PM
Just mentioned it on the off-chance that there was someone visiting who, never having had any surgery or being unaware of the anti-platelet activity, didn't know.

You hadn't said anything in your post though about the anti-platelet activity. (Perhaps you weren't aware of that.) All you said was "A high consumption of n-3 PUFA's (whether by supplement use or because you're an Eskimo with nothing else to eat but fatty fish and more fatty fish) correlates quite strongly with an increase in haemorrhagic strokes."

It was a between-the-lines caveat.

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38120 of 40817
Subject: Re: More on Omega-3 Date: 12/17/2012 12:28 PM
In eating fish high in Omega-3, don't you have to be careful of mercury and other toxins that concentrate in the meat? I would think that 5 x week would increase your consumption of the toxins.From what I've read, the fish oil supplements have little to no PCB's or mercury compared to fish meat since the supplements are made from the smaller fish that do not concentrate the toxins as much as the larger meat fish. Please let me know if this is incorrect.

It's correct.

In addition, the fish oil is treated to make sure any toxins are well below any level that could eventually cause harm.

sheila

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38122 of 40817
Subject: Re: More on Omega-3 Date: 12/17/2012 5:18 PM
Recommendations: 1
For that reason, we have stopped eating tuna completely and eat salmon only occasionally.

Don't know if you can source it easily in your area, but sardines and mackeral (sardinhas and carapau) are even lower on the feeding chain and thus less likely to contain toxins. Are you still around TX?

Here in the Northeast, we have a lot of Portuguese markets. They stock frozen sardines and mackeral at them. I can occasionally find them in the regular grocery stores too. My uncle used to be a wholesale fish exporter in Portugal. The fish are flash-frozen and flown over. They arrive within 24 hours of coming into dock.

If you've never had real Portuguese sardines grilled (whole), preferably over a wood fire, you're missing out. They taste nothing like the (in comparison) miserable little things in the cans here. Light, flavorful, not fishy. They are much larger than canned ones as well - 8" long or so?

While I love fish, I dislike ones with a heavy fish taste and heavy, dense oily texture. I adore grilled sardines because they are not any of those..

Of course, if you like the canned ones, that's a decent source too, much less likely to have toxins vs the canned tuna. Good calcium source too, since you can eat the bones. Their stronger flavor sometimes puts people off though.

Did a quick look-up of easy recipes that are more-or-less authentic to the Portuguese way of cooking them, to give you an idea:

http://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/2009/06/25/health-and-fam...
http://www.canadianliving.com/food/grilled_sardines_with_pot...
http://recipe2recipe.com/2012/08/11/sardines-on-the-bbq-for-...
(nice photos of the sardines)
http://www.wholeliving.com/131909/grilled-fresh-sardines
(and here too)

Our family just sprinkles them with sea salt and grills. We don't brush with olive oil or put lemon juice over them afterward. They are flavorful as-is. We are also 20 minutes from the fishing port, though.

We do drizzle them with extra virgin olive oil when eating them. We usually serve them with boiled new potatoes and boiled kale, which are also drizzled with olive oil. Yum.

Laura
(and howdy to a fellow hunt-seat rider :) - noticed that when looking up your locale)

Author: joikim Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38123 of 40817
Subject: Re: More on Omega-3 Date: 12/18/2012 8:40 AM
Laura
I may get brave and try some mackeral or sardines if I see them at Central Market or Whole Foods. I'm not much for cleaning my own fish, did it back decades ago in Girl Scouts (I was the only one who would actually do it so I ended up cleaning EVERYone's fish). But I may get wild and try it. I haven't ridden in over a year due to 1st an injury and now $. But I think about it every single day and hope to get back in the saddle someday soon.
JK

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38124 of 40817
Subject: Re: More on Omega-3 Date: 12/18/2012 9:07 AM
I may get brave and try some mackeral or sardines if I see them at Central Market or Whole Foods. I'm not much for cleaning my own fish, ...

With you here, JK...

I was thinking about strolling around some of the fish markets in Framingham (not as *Portugese* as what might be recognised....but a heavy Brazilian representaion)...as long as I don't have to deal with a fish with its head still on and a whole loada goop that spills out of its innards when I try to *gut* it.

Had to smile about the hunt-seat/English horseback riding reference.... I was at Trader Joe's last week and picked up a bag of *English* peas. The guy at teh checkout asked me if these ere called *English* peas bakc in England (I can't imagine why he'd ask) I had to admit that they were just called PEAS. Apparently they had someone working there who was from Canada and constantly griped about CANADIAN bacon.....as in It's just BACON.

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38128 of 40817
Subject: Re: More on Omega-3 Date: 12/20/2012 12:30 PM
I'm not much for cleaning my own fish, did it back decades ago in Girl Scouts (I was the only one who would actually do it so I ended up cleaning EVERYone's fish). But I may get wild and try it.

If you do go wild, it is very traditional to grill them entire & behead/gut on your plate. It keeps all the flavor and moisture in them. There is also a very sweet piece of meat right where the head joins the body that would get thrown out if one did the beheading/gutting ahead of time. Plus it's way messier to hand gut a slippery, raw fellow than a cooked one.

When they're cooked, put one on your plate, then - slit the belly, scoop out the insides with your knife, cut off head/tail, then slide the crispy skin off the side with the flat of your knife (it comes over very easily when they're fully cooked, flip, remove skin on the other side, pull out the backbone - voila, two lovely little fillets. Push the unwanteds to the side of the plate. There's always one large plate in the middle of the table where everyone scrapes the heads ets al as the pile on their plate gets too big.

Oh, a tossed salad goes especially well at the same time with sardines. Typically lettuce, tomatoes, onions and roasted green peppers, with a little parsley, and cilantro (unless you're one of those for whom cilantro tastes like soap). Toss with olive oil and red wine vinegar.

Speaking of fish heads - it's a delicacy there. Some of the restaurants near us serve fish head - typically it's from grouper, which is a rather large head. Serves 2-3. There is always a waiting list for it, and it is often not on the menu as a special. You just have to ask if they have it that day. The fish specials change, since it's subject to what looked good from the day's catch at the local fishing port. Since grouper is a large fish, they'll cut it up into smaller fillets for a grilled daily special and sell the head separately as its own entree. So, so good! The meat at the top and back of the head is especially sweet and tender, as are the cheeks. Runs about 25 euros for the platter with veggies, potatoes and a liter of house wine. With the limited availability, we've only scored it once. The locals have a tendency to call in and reserve it asap that day.

Speaking of fish heads - large fish eyes are also a delicacy. And good to boot, if you can get past the form factor <lol>. I was nervous to try it the first time, but it actually tasted like a little explosion of the ocean in the mouth - like a really fresh oyster might, but with a softer flavor. At least the grouper ones did. Since then, I try to eat the eyes whenever possible. They're nutritious and have some DHA/EPA in them. Usually the sardine ones are too small, but sometimes the mackeral ones are ok. There is a little pellet in the middle you have to spit out.

But I may get wild and try it. I haven't ridden in over a year due to 1st an injury and now $. But I think about it every single day and hope to get back in the saddle someday soon.

My last horse passed away about 3 years ago and I haven't done much since either. Like you, I miss it every single day. I had my horses at home. It's on my list to get back in the saddle again this year too. There are several stables near me both here and in Portugal. Over there, our kitchen window overlooks a dirt road and grape vineyard. One the weekends I often see the locals riding up the road while I'm washing the dishes. <drool>

Laura

Author: ilmostro Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38140 of 40817
Subject: Re: More on Omega-3 Date: 12/23/2012 11:48 AM
That's why fish oil is one of the things you have to cut out before any kind of surgery.

Just to be clear:
fish oil lowers platelet activity and not the actual number of platelets?

Just curious because last time I gave blood they wanted be to start donating platelets.
Thanks,
Bryan

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38141 of 40817
Subject: Re: More on Omega-3 Date: 12/23/2012 6:41 PM
Just to be clear:
fish oil lowers platelet activity and not the actual number of platelets?

Fish oil makes platelets less "sticky," so clotting time is longer. Vitamin E has a similar effect. The number of platelets is unaffected.

sheila

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement