Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 15393  
Subject: More or longer Date: 6/22/2012 12:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Training, people. I'm having a good week(been riding the Cape Cod Rail Trail and staying near the middle). The tours I am doing are mid-July and mid-Sept and have 3 distance/elevation choices a day. Depending on the elevation, I would like to do 40-50 miles a day.

I've done 30ish 3 times this week with 2 of them on consecutive days(I learned a little about fueling after that first day nonconsecutive first day.) While my legs are a bit tired on the second day, the real issue is seat time. If I want to extend my seat tolerance, do I want to bike more often or do longer distances ?

I live in Colorado so it should be easier here except it's been a long time since I lived in this kind of humidity. There's no "glowing" when I'm done my ride.

For women, I thought the new design of Pearl Izumi shorts was a little odd(the front) but they are right, they are definitely more comfortable.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: HardyWeinberg Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14913 of 15393
Subject: Re: More or longer Date: 6/22/2012 12:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If I want to extend my seat tolerance, do I want to bike more often or do longer distances ?

I would say longer not more but then again 30 is not that different from 50 so if you're good for 30, you're good for 50 already. Things start to change around 60-70 in my experience.

Author: mejayroberts Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14914 of 15393
Subject: Re: More or longer Date: 6/23/2012 6:50 AM
If I want to extend my seat tolerance

"Sore butt" is a consequence of not having the leg strength to hold your weight slightly off the saddle. Build your quadriceps, but more important, work on the least used leg muscles, the abductors and adductors.

http://womensfitness.lifetips.com/faq/132994/0/what-are-addu...

Author: hockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14915 of 15393
Subject: Re: More or longer Date: 6/25/2012 9:44 AM
Recommendations: 3
Channeling DW:

1. Don't know what is meant by holding your butt over the seat, in the other post? We both get off the seat on occasion by resting on the pedals, but nothing consistently.

2. DW had major tightness in her back on long rides with the butt pain. Both were solved by stretching before and after the rides. We're recreational riders that use road bikes and it was a "miracle" for us both that stretching allowed us to lengthen our rides and finish much more comfortably. It is very helpful for everything else we do too. We average about 25 miles a time, and yesterday went 34.

3. Good shorts do help and we've occasionally added Chamois cream to help a bit too over longer distances or back-to-back-to-back long rides.
http://www.amazon.com/Chamois-Buttr-8-Ounce-Skin-Lubricant/d...

4. We don't fret about stopping to take water or stretch. As yesterday was absolutely beautiful we stopped at a park and took several minutes to drink and stretch. It's usually just the two of us so we do what's enjoyable.

5. The other single biggest area is to be properly "fit" to your bike by a professional bike shop. I'm tall and that was critical for me, but DW too finds it really helps. We got new hybrids for bike trails last year and we're still finding how to properly adjust them. For us, our road bikes are perfect.

6. We also have had good luck with cross training with swimming. We have an indoor pool in our community and a half mile in the pool both uses different muscles AND stretches the back.

Enjoy the ride.

Hockeypop

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14917 of 15393
Subject: Re: More or longer Date: 6/26/2012 5:25 AM
Recommendations: 4
If I want to extend my seat tolerance, do I want to bike more often or do longer distances ?

If you have a choice, I'd go for the longer distances.....i.e. more time in the saddle.

Round about this time of the year, I often have a few clients/class members showing up to class who're supposedly training for the Pan Mass Challenge with next-to-no recent background in distance riding (and, on more than one occasion, no bike)

Their response to my suggestions that they need *time in the saddle* that can't be had by extra SPIN classes, or compensated for by work on the leg-press machine or what-have-you, is that they'll take their time or go at a slow pace......thereby gua-RON-teeing that they're going to be spending even longer to cover a distance that might be doable with a reasonable training base.

It's not just "regular" conditioning or even butt stamina that you need, it's tolerating the added stress on every part of your body that comes from riding for 5 hours straight if you'e only used to going for 4 (or 2 hours if you've only done SPIN classes)

Vivienne

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14918 of 15393
Subject: Re: More or longer Date: 6/26/2012 8:21 AM
Recommendations: 2
if you've only done SPIN classes

I know I am fortunate to live in a state with an amazing number of sunny days(happy not to be there at the moment because of the heat) and I can use spin classes for some of the rest of the year. They(and a really bad ski season) helped me get off to a great start this year.

I've talked to the Backroads peeps a couple of times just to be sure I am on track but when I read the info they send, it is clear they occasionally get people who only trained in spin classes.

I gotta say my bike handling skills(particularly on the road bike) have probably risen to mediocre and are improving. However even having ridden a hybrid for a few years, the technical skills don't translate all that well. I was riding* with friends in Utah in April and had that OMG realization - I still had quite a bit of hill to climb and I was out of gears. It was a learning experience.

Most of the time in July before the VT-Quebec trip, I'll be in Steamboat spending a couple hours a day riding. There are 2 rides in particular where I have gotten close but not quite to the top of a hill. And if I get those and need a challenge, I can always start working on climbing Rabbit Ears(ha !)

I am also looking forward to being back on my own bike. It is a dilemma - the rental vs shipping bike.

*I had driven and had my own bikes.

Author: hockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14920 of 15393
Subject: Re: More or longer Date: 6/26/2012 4:33 PM
Well, if it's something like this one it sounds amazing:
http://www.gosojourn.com/quebec-bicycle-tour

Since I have good friends in Vermont this goes on our list.

FWIW, on my previous link of 10 great rides was this in Burlington:
http://www.traillink.com/trail/island-line-rail-trail.aspx

They had damage because of storms in 2011 and I'm not sure the current status. But, I will attest that it is one of the most beautiful rides along the rail bed between the lakes and the mountains that we've ever taken.

It's absolutely flat and you may want to tune up OR lengthen your ride ;-)

Enjoy. We're jealous!!!!!

Hockeypop

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14923 of 15393
Subject: Re: More or longer Date: 6/28/2012 6:04 AM
There are 2 rides in particular where I have gotten close but not quite to the top of a hill. And if I get those and need a challenge, I can always start working on climbing Rabbit Ears(ha !)

Well, here's a tip that I've used successfully for my own training (and translates to a nice descriptor in my classes)......if you get to the point where you can spank these Bad Boys, give 'em a shot in the "wrong" gear.

I never had a two-wheeler until I turned 50 (got me Diamond Jubilee coming up in Sept) I cadged a few goes on friends' bikes when I was younger but could never go off with them and actually get any skills at an age where I felt immortal. I'm 100% a SPIN bike to road bike person .... one of the reasons why I'm always a bit skeptical about just how much "training" a non-cyclist can actually do on a bike that doesn't fall over in a 60 minute class (or 45 minutes if it's a trad. Johnny G. SPINNING class) However, I've learned all sorts of tricks and wrinkles in the pst decade that'd never occur to a bona fide roadie to think about because so much of the muscle memory and technique skills they have are automatic.

I'm still a bit too frit to go far afield on my own so I make the best use of what's in the neighbourhood......in addition to the bikes at the gyms where I teach (both with and without power read-out).

I can tell you *for a fact* that you should try to assess everything from head to toe (choice of helmet......and clip-cleat combo) to feel confident you'll have an AbFab time (which you'll prolly have anyways......but the thinking ahead is also part of the fun)

I'm very envious...

Vivienne

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14924 of 15393
Subject: Re: More or longer Date: 6/28/2012 9:35 AM
FWIW.....here's my take on the top-to-bottom thang

As dorkatious as my ORO T-BONE helmet makes me look......it's the one that doesn't give me a headache after a few hours of use. YMMV but, still, it's good to know ahead of time.

I use SPD's at the other end......I know they're a tad infra dig for a gen-U-ine roadie but they're what I'm used to.......and I'm not so much of a poseur that I can't 'fess up to being a "SPINNER". I fancy LOOK might be a bit more comfy for extened use.....my daughter uses SPEEDPLAY and doesn't feel any compunction in telling me I look like a tool. Hasn't complained yet.

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14925 of 15393
Subject: Re: More or longer Date: 6/28/2012 10:32 AM
I use SPD's at the other end......I know they're a tad infra dig for a gen-U-ine roadie but they're what I'm used to.......and I'm not so much of a poseur that I can't 'fess up to being a "SPINNER". I fancy LOOK might be a bit more comfy for extened use.....my daughter uses SPEEDPLAY and doesn't feel any compunction in telling me I look like a tool. Hasn't complained yet.

Keep in mind that 2* of my kids have worked in bike shops. My mediocrity extends to having these pedals(or a variation on my other bikes) - http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/in... and rarely to never clipping in. I do clip in in spin class - lol. Strangely enough I definitely prefer bike shoes,clipped in or not(although I also like bike sandals when it's very hot.)

*At least my son has enough couth not to mock me.

My next to newest helmet was bought based on ventilation and my latest on color and ventilation - never had any issues. The newest one travels with me and my big extravagance is that I now have a pair of travel pedals(because I am not sure I can take any off my bikes and I could afford them.)

Author: HardyWeinberg Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14926 of 15393
Subject: Re: More or longer Date: 6/28/2012 10:40 AM
My mediocrity extends to having these pedals(or a variation on my other bikes) - http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/in...... and rarely to never clipping in.

Those are great pedals! I got them 'cause I heard you could ride the non-cleat side barefoot, which is basically true. That was my biggest bummer of my 1st 10-speed around age 11, could not ride barefoot on those beartrap pedals.

I am also an spd fan because it's bad enough to have bike shoes, the least I can expect is for them to work off the bike as well as on.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14927 of 15393
Subject: Re: More or longer Date: 6/28/2012 11:02 AM
Strangely enough I definitely prefer bike shoes,clipped in or not(although I also like bike sandals when it's very hot.)

Not "strange" at all. Bike shoes have a nice rigid sole that spreads the pressure of the pedals to most of the foot as opposed to just the ball. I didn't realise how much of a bonus this could be until I attended a fitness conference where the SPIN bikes didn't have anything to clip into......I had to sit a good many of the workshops out because of the aggravation to my PF and general *toe-numbness*

It's a bit easier to transition to *clip in* in SPIN class (a.k.a.....on a bike that doesn't fall over), mind. Can't tell you how many times I've toppled over whilst trying to yank my foot out of the clips. Here's another skill to acquire, BTW......make it look like you meant to do it all along and don't cry no matter how much it hurts.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement