UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 61170  
Subject: More People Opt Not to Work Anymore Date: 10/30/2012 2:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Heck, I haven't worked in 18 years.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405297020459850457808...

As of September, the share of the adult population that either had a job or was trying to find one—a measure known as the labor-force participation rate—stood at 63.6%, close to a 30-year low. Other measures of job-market health, such as hiring and the unemployment rate, have shown slow but relatively steady improvement over the past two years. But labor force participation keeps falling.

Public attention on the shrinking labor force has tended to focus on unemployed workers who abandon their job searches. But such people make up a relatively small share of the millions of individuals who have left the labor force in recent years.

Most of the dropouts are retirees, students or stay-at-home parents—people who wouldn't want a job even if one were available.

</snip>

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46021 of 61170
Subject: Re: More People Opt Not to Work Anymore Date: 10/30/2012 7:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
"Public attention on the shrinking labor force has tended to focus on unemployed workers who abandon their job searches. But such people make up a relatively small share of the millions of individuals who have left the labor force in recent years.

Most of the dropouts are retirees, students or stay-at-home parents—people who wouldn't want a job even if one were available." </snip> intercst

Yeah I've often said that I didn't so much chose retirement as it chose me. It wasn't really a choice. After I was laid off from the Vet School and then failing so miserably at teaching after taking 30 graduate hours in Education I just gave up. That is the truth of the matter is, I just gave up.

My original intention was to continue working till I turned 55 years of age and then retire but after getting laid off in 1998 and then taking all those courses, teaching for a year and half, and coming close to a nervous breakdown I didn't know what to do? I didn't know how to start over? My experience was that it's not easy to start over once you hit 50.

Art

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement