Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 13654  
Subject: More Pet Peeves Date: 11/17/2012 9:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I was checking out some headlines on AOL and saw a link for signs your spouse may be cheating. The problem with the link? Here's the wording:

"Here are some signs you should be weary of"

The word should be spelled wary.

I can understand how it can happen. Wear is a word that sounds like you could just add a "y" to get the right word.

Problem is, when you add the "y" you get a totally different word with a different pronunciation.

And there isn't a spell-check in the world that would catch it.

LWW
Print the post Back To Top
Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12736 of 13654
Subject: Re: More Pet Peeves Date: 11/17/2012 11:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
And there isn't a spell-check in the world that would catch it.</>

And wayyyy too few human spell-checkers who are capable of catching these errors.

And almost NO one these days who seems to remember that there's a difference between things that are "complementary" and "complimentary."

sheila

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12737 of 13654
Subject: Re: More Pet Peeves Date: 11/17/2012 12:08 PM
"And there isn't a spell-check in the world that would catch it."

That used to be an editor's job, but they've become extinct. Today, especially in online publications, miscues like that are shrugged off with "well, you know what I meant", and in some circles are even considered hip.
The next time someone uses a lower case i for the first person singular in an online forum, correct them and see what happens.

~aj

Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12738 of 13654
Subject: Re: More Pet Peeves Date: 11/17/2012 12:53 PM
Recommendations: 2
"Here are some signs you should be weary of"

Those are the signs you are just to tired to be looking for anymore.

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12739 of 13654
Subject: Re: More Pet Peeves Date: 11/17/2012 5:41 PM
Recommendations: 1
"
Those are the signs you are just to tired to be looking for anymore. "

Two tired? You mean like a bicycle?

~aj

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12746 of 13654
Subject: Re: More Pet Peeves Date: 11/22/2012 2:02 PM
The next time someone uses a lower case i for the first person singular…

What if they type initials using lower case instead of caps?

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12747 of 13654
Subject: Re: More Pet Peeves Date: 11/22/2012 2:20 PM
What if they type initials using lower case instead of caps?

Like "ie" and "eg"? ;-)

Actually, I have my own issues with those abbreviations, and with MD, PhD, etc. And old-fashioned formalists have their issues with me. I detest the periods, strictly for visual reasons. It's much more graceful looking without them, much more pulled together looking. Some physicians who edit some of the things I write have a royal fit, and insist that the periods have to be restored.

The first time I really locked horns with an MD about this (naively unaware--though not for long--that, given her rigid personality and weighty influence in that organization, she was the absolute last person to assert oneself with over such issues), she justified her monarchic ruling by saying that all of the journals used "e.g." and "i.e.", and that that was the final word. And of course, most of the journals have dropped those periods, and others, because it adds up to using less paper.

sheila

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12748 of 13654
Subject: Re: More Pet Peeves Date: 11/22/2012 4:03 PM
Recommendations: 2
" The next time someone uses a lower case i for the first person singular…

What if they type initials using lower case instead of caps? "

It's a token sign of modesty, inhibition, shyness and humility...you know, the type of guy I am.

~aj

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12749 of 13654
Subject: Re: More Pet Peeves Date: 11/22/2012 9:00 PM
What if they type initials using lower case instead of caps? "
It's a token sign of modesty, inhibition, shyness and humility...you know, the type of guy I am.

~aj

Yup. Always Joking. ;-)

sheila

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement