UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 734736  
Subject: More responses Date: 2/4/2013 3:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Now I'm getting state-level responses from my reps (again, Ruger send the message off to pols at both the state and national level):

Gov. Snyder (R-MI):

Thank you for recently contacting the Executive Office of Governor Rick Snyder. As a member of Governor Snyder's staff, please accept this response on his behalf.

While Governor Snyder will carefully consider any legislation that reaches his desk, he has not called for any specific gun legislation as we remain focused on improving the state’s economy. The governor understands this is a dialogue that is happening in earnest at the federal level, but has been clear that improving mental health treatment needs to be part of the discussion when it comes to solving larger problems related to gun violence.

In order to do this, we must take a holistic approach and examine the multiple causes and root of the problem. Therefore, Gov. Snyder has ordered a multi-departmental assessment of the state's services and needs regarding at-risk children, mental health, and school security. This will hopefully lead to more answers and better safeguards while ensuring we’re protecting the rights of law-abiding firearm owners. Here is a summary of what Governor Snyder has called for:

· Directing the Michigan Department of Community Health to partner with the departments of Human Services and Education, as well as the State Court Administrative Office and law enforcement, to evaluate systems of care for at-risk children. The evaluation will identify gaps between the various systems and create a comprehensive plan to bolster early intervention efforts to address behavioral, emotional and mental health issues.

· Tasking the Department of Community Health to work with law enforcement and the courts to facilitate regional training to better identify tools that can be used for identifying high-risk youth. DCH also will collaborate with partners to increase mental health awareness efforts, which will include promoting resources available to people in need of assistance.

· Directing the departments of Community Health and Human Services to explore ways to incorporate community mental health workers into the Pathways to Potential model that is under way in schools.

· Directing the Michigan Department of Education to review best practices and policies of safe school plans across Michigan, and help develop a means of greater access to strategies for students to find ways of resolving conflicts peacefully.

· Asking local school districts to offer practical ways to help prevent the introduction of weapons on school property, in order maintain the sanctity of a safe educational environment for students and educators.

Should gun legislation come before Governor Snyder for consideration, please be assured that your comments will be kept close at hand. If you have further questions or comments regarding this or any other state-related matter, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I’ve included my contact information below.

Sincerely,

Laura Stoken
Constituent Services Division
Executive Office of the Governor, Rick Snyder

----

State Sen. Rebekah Warren (D-MI):

Thank you for contacting me to express your thoughts regarding the Second Amendment and future legislation that would regulate the usage of guns in Michigan.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me and am proud to represent such active and engaged citizens. Having just begun the 2013-2014 legislative session, there is currently no pending legislation in the Michigan Legislature that would restrict the usage of guns. Moving forward, however, please be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind should any such bills come before my desk.

That said, legislation has been introduced during the first week of Congress that would strengthen background checks for all gun sales, ban online sales of ammunition and ban high-capacity magazines. It is expected that legislation restricting the use of military-style assault weapons will soon be introduced before Congress as well. Given that I am a member of the Michigan Senate, I have no jurisdiction over these federally-introduced bills. Should you wish to do so, you may contact U.S. Senators Carl Levin and Debbie Stabenow, and
Congressman John Dingell to share your thoughts with them. For your convenience, I have included their contact information below:

[contacts for people I've contacted already]

Moving forward, please know that I will work vigorously with my colleagues to implement thoughtful policies that will serve to protect the health and safety of all Michiganders. Should you have any questions or would like further information, please do not hesitate to contact my office at [contact info]

Sincerely,

Rebekah Warren
State Senator
18th District

----------

I'm not a fan of Ms. Warren... she's joined a lawsuit to try to overturn the Right to Work law just passed in Michigan, opposed the formation of the police department I work for and while there may be a political issue we agree on I can't think of one at the moment. But she responded, kudos to her for that.

Snyder vetoed a bill that would have made it legal for concealed carry in schools with an enhanced license. I didn't agree with that veto but he's done very well on the economic front and a re-vamped bill will be coming his way this session so I'm still hoping for good news there. The line about "keeping guns out of schools" is a bit worrisome in that regard (letting in legal ones is rather important IMHO) but we'll see.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement