Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
If you like salmon try this appetizer:
Take thawed filo dough and one sheet at a time, brush with melted butter, then add another sheet, brush again until you have about 7 or 8 layers. Place smoked salmon in the center of the filo then place brie cheese on top of that. You can season if you like with snipped parsley, cracked pepper, dill..etc. Fold the dough over to make a packet and place sealed side down on a baking sheet. Brush top with more butter and bake at 350 deg. until golden and cheese is starting to ooze. Serve with your favorite crackers!
Print the post Back To Top
Ooooo, this sounds good too. I have a about 1.5 pounds of smoked salmon in the freezer (my dad smokes it himself).

All this salmon talk really makes me want to give my parents a call.

Dawn
Dawn--

Would your father like to adopt more children (or siblings if the age thing is a problem)? I'm sure a lot of us would volunteer to help "Dad" eat his home smoked salmon<G>

Cactus

(drooling at the thought)
I have a about 1.5 pounds of smoked salmon in the freezer (my dad smokes it himself).

Echoing the other poster: anything I can do to get in your Dad's good graces?

Or, how exactly does one smoke salmon (or any fish, for that matter?)

-synchronicity, who's too lazy to research that issue right now.

PS- Anyone here ever have planked salmon? Should I post a recipe for it?

PPS- although this probably belongs on the LBYM board, Chicago fools should be aware that during the summer Dominick's has historically put whole salmon on sale for a week at 99 cents a pound, no limit. I bought about 7 fish one year.
Cactus --

I was smart. I married a man who doesn't eat seafood. All the more for me. I did get a nice size batch to my mom-in-law and sis-in-law. I think I've won my inlaws over for life ;-)

Dawn
Or, how exactly does one smoke salmon (or any fish, for that matter?)

He has a homebuilt smokehouse. To smoke a fish (or any other meat for that matter), first you put it in a brine. How long it remains in the brine depends on who you are talking to and what kind of meat.

Then you put it in a smoke house where it is slow cooked and soaks up all the flavors from the wood chips. The next time I catch him, I'll try to get his receipe if anyone wants it.

Dawn
Dawn--

Yes we would like his recipe. We sometimes get inexpensive salmon down here in the great southwest, as well as the great northwest. I would love to be able to serve to my prof chef friends and say "oh yes, I smoked the salmon myself".

Cactus
I tried smoking one of the sturgeons but couldn't keep it lit, are salmon easier in this regard?

Raggmopp
<I tried smoking one of the sturgeons but couldn't keep it lit, are salmon easier in this regard?>

WHACK!!!

Patti (handing the sturgeon back to Ragg...now it's smokin!)

<<now it's smokin!>>

LOL! My kinda lady.

Raggmopp
<Chicago fools should be aware that during the summer Dominick's has historically put whole salmon on sale for a week at 99 cents a pound, no limit. I bought about 7 fish one year.>

Chicago fools should also be aware of Isaacson & Stein Fish Co. on 800 W. Fulton. Long iced down tables of fish, shellfish, various other unnamed denizens. There are usually live crabs, smoked salmon, octopi and other goodies.

Customers peel off plastic bags from a roll by the door as they walk in, put a bag over one hand, and go pick out their own fish.

Fish is always fresher and cheaper than the regular prices in the groceries and neighborhood fish markets.
Advertisement