Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

A few months ago, everyone told me that I would be receiving a tax credit for 2000 taxes (I know that everyone is still waiting for them). They said that if you filed $6000 you would be eligible for $300 back, and if you filed less, you would be refunded a reduced amount. I am a college student, and I filed about $4000 for 2000, and there was about another $1000 that I didn't file (because it was work-study, and wasn't taxed). So, I reasoned, I should be getting a check for $100 or $200. But I just received a statement from the IRS saying that because I didn't have taxable income or was listed as a dependent on someone else's return (and I was NOT listed as a dependent), I will not be receiving a check. Can anyone fathom why, or should I call the 800 number they provide? Thanks for the help!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.