No. of Recommendations: 0
More than likely, you cannot contribute to the 401(k) at your previous employeer any longer, so it will not grow except by the investments themselves.
Also, many employers eventually force former employees to remove their assets from the plan....mine did, with 60 days notice. They get tired of keeping up with it.
Whatever you do, do not take a direct distribution from the old plan. In other words, don't let them send a check directly to you. There are early withdrawal fees and taxes you don't want to get stuck with.
You can either set up an account at a fund company, like Vanguard or Fidelity, and have it directly rolled over to that account, or you can have it rolled over to your new employer's 401(k) plan.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.