UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: SarahBarbour Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: More than one Roth IRA? Date: 12/12/2000 5:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi,

I have a somewhat complicated situation and was wondering if anyone out there could help me.

In early 1998, I opened a Roth IRA at American Express and bought into one of their mutual fund with the intention of using the money toward the purchase of a home sometime after 2003. I have contributed 2K each year since. The return (avg. 16%/year) on it has been okay, but I'm getting hit with a $58/year service charge and the service is not that great (calls go unreturned, they can't seem to update my address despite a year's worth of notices that I've moved, etc.).

I started looking into other funds with other companies then realized that Amex will hit me with a contingent deferred sales charge (CDSC) of 3% (this will be reduced to 0% by 2004). (Duh. Now that I'm older and more Foolish, I know to look out for back end loads like this.)

I am wondering if I can open another, cheaper Roth IRA elsewhere in 2001, contribute my $2000 to that one until I'm ready to buy a house, then combine the two.

Or should I sell the shares of the fund I have now, take the 3% loss, and transfer all the money at once to a different company? Or should I just hang on to it and suck up the $58 a year?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

SB

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement