Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: FoolNBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5085  
Subject: More Work Date: 2/11/2004 9:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 11
Not sure what FIRE related board falls under.

I just accepted a second job! I'll be moonlighting with an acquantance (quickly becoming a friend) on a part-time basis managing the books in her growing business. I'll be getting paid a fraction of my 9-5 salary but will be able to learn new skills, apply them to something worthwhile (no Powerpoint Hell!), and have fun. I'd almost do it for free. Not sure how it will fit in with my current job (that keeps trying to burn me out). I'm really rather excited about being able to work in a fun environment without all the beaurocratic BS and stupidity. I doubt it will ever become big enough to replace my "day job" (although I could live off the pay if I had to) but it will look good on a resume if I decide to jump ship. Since I already LBYM, all income will be FI/RE savings -well, what U. Sam doesn't take will be.

To new opportunities!

As a side note, I'll be teaching myself Quick Books in a crash-course, hands on way. Any "free" resources anyone can point me to to get up to speed would help. I do have a good understanding of Accounting Principles and am computer savvy but have not used any off the shelf accounting software before. Thanks.

FoolNBlue (Who had to tell someone!)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1928 of 5085
Subject: Re: More Work Date: 2/12/2004 9:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Good Luck and God Speed FoolNBlue!

I did the moonlighting thing for 7 years. I took on software development projects during that time-frame. I was able to learn new programming skills (got paid to learn microsofts web development tools--big <grin>) and used the extra income to pay off all consumer debt, pay for some home improvements, max out ROTH IRA's for me and my wife and contribute the max to a SEP-IRA each year. I have a good 401k with my day job so the extra money also enabled me to begin maxing that out at that time as well.

After my last project ended back in 2002, I had accomplished my goals so I no longer seek extra work. If something good fell in my lap, I would strongly consider doing it but it is unlikely since programming opportunities are fewer these days. Also, now that my FIRE assets are building on their own with only a little help from my monthly contributions, I find myself slowly slipping into ER mode as my FIRE date is approaching. I estimate another 7-9 years around my 50th birthday.

decath

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1929 of 5085
Subject: Re: More Work Date: 2/12/2004 10:59 AM
Recommendations: 1
Hi there!

I have a book here:
"Special Edition - Using QuickBooks and QuickBooks Pro 99"
Gail Perry, CPA

Granted, it's a little older, but it's yours if you want it and are willing to pay shipping.

If so, please do NOT just email me. Some email addresses are blocked, and I'd hate for you to think I'm ignoring you. Please both email me AND separately post a reply here to let me know you've emailed me.

Author: WeeBeastie Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1932 of 5085
Subject: Re: More Work Date: 2/13/2004 12:34 PM
Recommendations: 3
I doubt it will ever become big enough to replace my "day job" (although I could live off the pay if I had to)

This is a fantastic move for many reasons, not least this: and have fun. I'd almost do it for free

In addition, you get extra funds to add to the FIRE bucket. You are also getting experience in an area that you could choose to work part-time in when you're FIRE'd.

I know the thought of working AT ALL is heresy to many FIREd types, but to be honest, I think I will work part time after FIRE. I see myself doing the books for the village pub, providing dog-walking services or working retail over the holidays. Although I will have enough not to have to work, I honestly think I probably will at least after a couple of years.

Good for you! It's a win on so many levels.

HereticBeastie

Author: FoolNBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1933 of 5085
Subject: Re: More Work Date: 2/14/2004 9:39 AM
Recommendations: 0
I have a book here:
"Special Edition - Using QuickBooks and QuickBooks Pro 99"
Gail Perry, CPA

Granted, it's a little older, but it's yours if you want it and are willing to pay shipping.

I'll pay USPS's "book rate" for a free book! Reply to my email and I'll send you my address directly. Check will be in the mail for postage as soon as I receive the book.

FoolNBlue

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1934 of 5085
Subject: Re: More Work Date: 2/14/2004 9:45 AM
Recommendations: 1
You got it! On its way...

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1935 of 5085
Subject: Re: More Work Date: 2/16/2004 9:27 AM
Recommendations: 0
I know the thought of working AT ALL is heresy to many FIREd types, but to be honest, I think I will work part time after FIRE. I see myself doing the books for the village pub, providing dog-walking services or working retail over the holidays. Although I will have enough not to have to work, I honestly think I probably will at least after a couple of years.

Not all of us consider it heresy, but if Hubby or I have to work, we're going to do it on our terms - which we are!!
I realized the other day that my daughters know almost nobody that does the "9-5 office grind" now. Hubby is retired, as are many of his friends. All our other friends either own their own business (thereby set their hours), or hve a job that involves traveling, or tele-commuting, or anything except going into an office. One day they are going to find out how "normal" people live and they'll be shocked.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement