UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (41) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58846  
Subject: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/30/2012 10:23 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 28
SALT LAKE CITY (Reuters) - A group of about 150 Mormons quit their church in a mass resignation ceremony in Salt Lake City on Saturday in a rare display of defiance...

Some leaving the church Saturday did so with trepidation, as Mormon culture often stigmatizes those who fall away, leaving some without social or business connections.

To resign from the church, Mormons must submit a formal letter asking their names be removed from church rolls...

"I went to [my church leader] looking for a faithful perspective. He called my wife and told her she needed to find a new husband," Fielding said..

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-06-30/news/sns-rt-us...

What kind of religion coerces you to stay through implied threats to your marriage, wider family, and even your business? <shudder>
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Maraith Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44309 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/30/2012 11:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I recently read "Leaving the Saints" which is the story of one woman's departure from the Church of Latter Day Saints. It was filled with stories like those you linked to.

There were also some wonderful aspects she described: open-hearted acceptance and love for children with disabilities (one of her children had Downs Syndrome), the support for new businesses from the community, the care and love in times of trouble, and more. Then there were the judgmental, women-unfriendly, religious police aspects also.

The core religion is rather strange but I find that true in other religions also.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44310 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/30/2012 12:31 PM
Recommendations: 0
The supportiveness for families and businesses is the awesome aspect of Mormonism. Also being prepared for financial and other disaster--I learned from that as well. But a couple years back I read about their rituals, which were pretty hair-raising till they changed them in the 70s or 80s...reaching into holes in a special temple garment to touch someone's body, not to mention having sex only with special underwear on--what's up with that?! Sort of a foreplay preventive =8~0

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44312 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/30/2012 1:24 PM
NOt much different than the Catholic Church.

If you don't support 100% right to life, totally opposed to abortion, you can't be a good Catholic according to the Pope. No exception.

I'm sure a lot of Catholic women are more than 'upset'.....about the position of the church (10th century) and the church's claim on their body and hunger for more 'souls' to feed the church machinery.

In fact....wasn't it about a thousand years ago where half the Catholic church left left and became Lutherans?

Oh, what kind of a religion would allow that?

Yep, it seems the lib bashers of Romney forgot about that minor detail of one of the largest and wackiest churches in history. One that burned 'witches' (women) at the stake - usually those who were widowed with assets the church elders coveted...... yepper, that Catholic church.

And, of course, the King of England decided to boot out all the Roman ridiculousness of the Catholic religion when he wanted a divorce (not allowed)....and formed the Church of England.

Duh!....but the libs never learn history...just take their talking points from the Daily Kos!

t.

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44313 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/30/2012 2:00 PM
Recommendations: 1
What kind of religion coerces you to stay through implied threats to your marriage, wider family, and even your business?

Scientology, for one.

--FY

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44314 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/30/2012 2:13 PM
Recommendations: 2
Scientology, for one.

Jehovah's Witnesses, also.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44315 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/30/2012 2:33 PM
<<Yep, it seems the lib bashers of Romney forgot about that minor detail of one of the largest and wackiest churches in history. One that burned 'witches' (women) at the stake - >>

I had a boss that needled a Catholic employee about this until I pointed out that his Protestant forebears had done the same thing in Massachusetts.

I suppose a hundred years from now our descendants will be horrified at the biggest Holocaust in human history --- that of mothers in "civilized" countries killing off their unborn children by the millions.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44316 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/30/2012 2:46 PM
"What kind of religion coerces you to stay through implied threats to your marriage, wider family, and even your business?"

Catholic church.

Get 'excommunicated' for failing to follow lock step to the Pope's dictates, and he and his followers might ruin your business, threaten boycotts.....

in the past, they simply hunted you down and killed you. or burned you at the stake.

Don't forget the inquisition...where if you didn't confess true faith...well...

And then there was Gallileo......remember him? They didn't like his idea that the Earth was not the center of the solar system and the universe. Contradicted the bi-bull.....hmmm.......

Most religions are nut cases....... simply cloaked in ritual......and followed to various degrees depending upon the 'age' of the religion. New ones (islam, Mormons) take a few millenia to mellow out.

And, haven't you forgot all the killings by fathers upset about their daughter seeing a non-Muslim or not agreeing to an arranged marriage? By the dozens each week in Europe now.....? hmmm.........or ones who won't wear a veil....being killed by a relative? in the name of the god thingies and 'the book'?

What planet are you living on? The most violent, anti-freedom religion is Islam.....leave that religion and they promise to kill you. Simple.

t.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44317 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/30/2012 2:48 PM
"<<Yep, it seems the lib bashers of Romney forgot about that minor detail of one of the largest and wackiest churches in history. One that burned 'witches' (women) at the stake - >> "

But only in Europe

In the US (Salem) they were hanged.

No witches were 'burned' in the US.

t.

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44318 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/30/2012 4:03 PM
Recommendations: 6
Apparently the Mormon church is having trouble maintaining active members:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/31/us-mormonchurch-id...

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44320 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/30/2012 5:05 PM
"There were also some wonderful aspects she described: open-hearted acceptance and love for children with disabilities (one of her children had Downs Syndrome), the support for new businesses from the community, the care and love in times of trouble, and more. Then there were the judgmental, women-unfriendly, religious police aspects also. The core religion is rather strange but I find that true in other religions also." maraith

That pretty much describes the Church I am a part of. And you are right, pretty much all religion(s) are strange if you think about it; all religion is a little weird.... worshipping a god that we aren't even quite sure whether "it" exists or not, strange rituals, doctrines, beliefs, etc.

But there is good stuff too. The social aspects, fellowship, taking care of one another, etc. The Church of Christ came out of the Presbyterian tradition during the restoration movement and a lot of the members are of Scots-Irish descent so they maintain that "Clannish" Scottish way of thinking so the congregation treat one like family (you should see them reach out when someone dies) and they really do take care of one another.

I met my wife at Church in Athens, Georgia and I don't regret it one bit. It has been good for me. I shudder to think where I would have ended up if I hadn't found the Church of Christ, probably living in a Van down by the river.

Art

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44323 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/30/2012 7:49 PM
Of course the liberal catechism is to despise religion and expect every person to devise their own moral code themselves. Of course it is expected that it will agree with the modern liberal moral code in every significant detail.

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44325 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/30/2012 9:32 PM
Recommendations: 39
Joseph Smith was clearly a second rate con man, and from Brigham Young right up to today, the Mormon Church depends on delivering sometimes harsh disciplinary actions for those that don't comply with the elders' demands. But living in a Mormon neighborhood in a Mormon town these past 10+ years, I have developed a very healthy respect for the church's culture. They take care of each other. They are the best, most considerate, dependable neighbors I've ever had anywhere I've lived (and I've lived in a lot of places). I've even come to understand their political views.

To first order, all Mormons are small government Republicans. I've worked the polls in these precincts and I can tell you that a Democrat Mormon is very uncommon. They don't support aid to the poor because they do that through the church. . . and they don't just say the church does that. They really do that through the church. It's not lip service. They don't support welfare or unemployment benefits for the same reason. Disability? Education? . . . Their view is that the church should be doing that - taking care of each other. And they are mostly extremely good parents with very polite and respectful children who work hard and do well.

The church itself is run by a very small number of male officers, but the marching orders for the flock seem more like they come from a Communist governing manual. They have a history of sharing the wealth for the greater good of the community. And while they may want the government out of their lives, the church seems to me to be far more intrusive than any government we've ever had in the US.

Author: culcha Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44329 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/30/2012 10:39 PM
Recommendations: 11
NOt much different than the Catholic Church.

Well, they're pretty different ... but each one is pretty wacky.

If you don't support 100% right to life, totally opposed to abortion, you can't be a good Catholic according to the Pope. No exception.

The Pope (or even the local priest) doesn't call up her husband though and tell him to get a new wife.

I'm sure a lot of Catholic women are more than 'upset'.....about the position of the church (10th century) and the church's claim on their body and hunger for more 'souls' to feed the church machinery.

Yes.

In fact....wasn't it about a thousand years ago where half the Catholic church left left and became Lutherans?

Not 1000 years ago. Luther posted his famous 95 Theses 495 years ago.
Far less than 1/2 the Catholic Church became Lutherans.

Oh, what kind of a religion would allow that?
Well, they didn't exactly allow it. They fought religious wars.

Yep, it seems the lib bashers of Romney forgot about that minor detail of one of the largest and wackiest churches in history. One that burned 'witches' (women) at the stake - usually those who were widowed with assets the church elders coveted...... yepper, that Catholic church.

Who exactly are these "lib bashers of Romney"?

And, of course, the King of England decided to boot out all the Roman ridiculousness of the Catholic religion when he wanted a divorce (not allowed)....and formed the Church of England.

He decided that he could be ridiculous on his own -- he didn't need to import ridiculousness from Rome!

Duh!....but the libs never learn history...just take their talking points from the Daily Kos!

Again, who are these people who never learn history?

culcha

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44333 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/31/2012 12:14 AM
Recommendations: 8
Of course the liberal catechism is to despise religion

Not really. I don't "despise religion," although I sometimes despise what certain individuals do in the name of religion, like condoning or even encouraging bullying of kids who are gay or even slightly off-center on the gender bell curve (like Mitt holding down a kid with hair longer than the norm and cutting it off), or claim that giving gay--or female--Americans equal rights causes hurricanes. I have some trouble with heavily patriarchal religions....which most of them are. And with certain rituals and teaching that some individuals are either infallible or should never be questioned, and that goes for men as head of the household (heh, we're kinda matriarchal around my place).

and expect every person to devise their own moral code themselves.

huh? I can't speak for others, but I pretty much have the moral code taught me by my parents, basically the Golden Rule. Mom also told me where to kick a boy who got fresh...I never took that advice. I guess I preferred guys who got fresh, at least once I turned 17 ;-)

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44339 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/31/2012 9:11 AM
What kind of religion coerces you to stay through implied threats to your marriage, wider family, and even your business?

Many...

But in a cult like Mormonism it is far more prevalent. I had a second cousin who always dreamed of living out West because of his love for outdoor pursuits. Shortly after he married he got a job in Utah. It turned out the town was dominated by Mormons. He had little problem because he was Protestant, but his RC wife was totally shunned by the women. he took it for a couple of years but the pressure on his wife was unbearable so he moved back East.

Nice homey folks thsoe Mormons.

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44340 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/31/2012 9:13 AM
Joseph Smith was clearly a second rate con man,/i>

Smith was a first rate con man. As a human he was a real jerk.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44341 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/31/2012 9:32 AM
"I had a second cousin who always dreamed of living out West because of his love for outdoor pursuits. Shortly after he married he got a job in Utah. It turned out the town was dominated by Mormons. He had little problem because he was Protestant, but his RC wife was totally shunned by the women. he took it for a couple of years but the pressure on his wife was unbearable so he moved back East. "

Most of the west is not dominated by Mormons. YOu move to UT, well, what did he expect? YOu got all of NV, WY, TX, OK, NE, CO....tens of millions of acres. Half of OR, half of WA.....

You move to Amish country in OH or PA.....and you'll find the same thing in many towns. If you don't belong 'to the church' you have little access to social activities. Everything is 'with the church'. There are entire counties in PA and OH.....and you'll definitely feel out of place and out of touch.

UT is not the only 'western place'. He just made a bad choice, but it was HIS choice. He had lots of other options for places to live and could have moved to another location 'out west'.

I suspect his wife was homesick too.... for 'back east'.

I'd bet Salt Lake City UT probably has a few RC churches as well as other churches.

He probably just lived in a 99% Mormon area. So?

t.

Author: alchook Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44342 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/31/2012 10:19 AM
I'd bet Salt Lake City UT probably has a few RC churches as well as other churches.

Not only that, but according to John Amaechi it has "the hippest gay scene east of San Francisco."

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44344 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/31/2012 11:27 AM
Smith was a first rate con man.

I disagree. He was second rate. He just targeted marks that were third rate thinkers.

His first con game was convincing people he met on the street that he could predict their future by placing some magic rocks in his hat, then bury his head in the hat until their future was revealed. That's not exactly a tier one con game.

And really . . . the womanizing religious leader gig was pretty lame too. His Book of Mormon reads like a story made up and told by a junior high student with below average intelligence. Native Americans are a lost tribe of Israel? The Garden of Eden is in Missouri? Live right and get you own planet? Magic underwear? . . .

As a human he was a real jerk.

Yes. That much is clear.

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44346 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/31/2012 11:36 AM
And really . . . the womanizing religious leader gig was pretty lame too. His Book of Mormon reads like a story made up and told by a junior high student with below average intelligence. Native Americans are a lost tribe of Israel? The Garden of Eden is in Missouri? Live right and get you own planet? Magic underwear? . . .

But on the wackiness level, how does that compare to Moses parting the Red Sea, or Jesus feeding the masses and walking on water?

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44349 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/31/2012 11:51 AM
"You move to Amish country in OH or PA.....and you'll find the same thing in many towns. If you don't belong 'to the church' you have little access to social activities. Everything is 'with the church'. There are entire counties in PA and OH.....and you'll definitely feel out of place and out of touch." - tele
-----------------------------

That's the way it is here. If your not Church of Christ or Southern Baptist you'd be pretty damn lonely if didn't have family here and/or you were working. These people are very clannish and family oriented and if you moved here to retire you'd have a difficult time fitting in. You'd have to join some clubs or something I suppose? I don't know.

I married into the Church of Christ and it is a large part of my socializing here besides my wife's family. I go to church every Sunday morning and I used to go on Sunday night and wednesday night too although I don't anymore. The church is like a family. It's not like the Lutheran church where I grew up where we'd just go and then leave and that was the end of it. It's hard to explain but it becomes a big part of your social life and your identity.

Art

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44351 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/31/2012 12:03 PM
"But on the wackiness level, how does that compare to Moses parting the Red Sea, or Jesus feeding the masses and walking on water?" - sykesix

Some demigod (Jesus) has to be crucified on a cross for your sins and only if you believe in him will you be "saved" (whatever that means?)?

Pretty much all religions are wacky if you think about it too much. But I do enjoy church dinners and singing and socializing. If it wasn't for church I'd be living the life of a hermit sure enough. Besides grocery shopping and running to the bank, doctor, dentist church is the only thing that gets me out of the house. It gets me up off the couch and forces me to get a shower and get dressed and go out and talk to people.

Art

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44352 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/31/2012 12:14 PM
Recommendations: 10
But on the wackiness level, how does that compare to Moses parting the Red Sea, or Jesus feeding the masses and walking on water?

There's no doubt that the stories of all religions are pretty equally lame. But one difference between say Christianity or Islam vs Mormonism or Scientology is that the Bible and Koran were not written until long after the characters described in it had died. The stories are hearsay and we don't really know how much of a con man the main characters were vs how much the later writers of the story were responsible for the nonsense. In the case of Joseph Smith and L. Ron Hubbard, we know that these charlatans really were con men who actually wrote that crap.

People can rationalize walking on water or the night flight by saying that the stories were written a long time ago and were meant to communicate ideas rather than to be interpreted literally. (Of course some people insist on literal interpretation anyway). But you really can't fall back on that argument for Joseph Smith or L. Ron Hubbard. Those guys were recent enough that their cons are well documented.

Author: CairnDad Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44358 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/31/2012 2:34 PM
To first order, all Mormons are small government Republicans. I've worked the polls in these precincts and I can tell you that a Democrat Mormon is very uncommon.

How do you explain Senator Harry Reid (D-NV)? Or is he just one of the uncommon?

Author: Maraith Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44360 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/31/2012 2:44 PM
Actually, the way Mormons support one another in business is admirable. I think geographical communities should do that, too. Help one another become successful.

It does, however, make Gov. Romney seem hypocritical when he extols businesspeople who do it all "by themselves".

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44364 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/31/2012 3:28 PM
And really . . . the womanizing religious leader gig was pretty lame too. His Book of Mormon reads like a story made up and told by a junior high student with below average intelligence. Native Americans are a lost tribe of Israel? The Garden of Eden is in Missouri? Live right and get you own planet? Magic underwear?

I couldn't even begin to believe I could possibly makepeople believe that nonsense and also sleep with all their women. Ol' Joe did it.

Joe figured something out. If you could make people believe in the nonsense in the KJV you could make people believe in anything. He was right. Smith may have been a schmuck but he wasn't stupid. BTW: his idea for the Mormon story came from a Methodist minister he met in Syracuse NY. The minister was too ill to hold a pulpit so he'd written a novel that is essentially the Book of Mormon. The Mormons don't like to talk much about Joe's real history.

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44366 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/31/2012 3:31 PM
Maraith writes,

Actually, the way Mormons support one another in business is admirable.

Absolutely!

They had an interesting segment on the PBS news hour a while back on how the Civil Rights movement killed black businesses. During segregation, many blacks shopped at black-owned stores. After the Jim Crow laws were abolished, they thought they were "sticking it to Whitey" by shopping at the white stores.

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/the_afterword/2012/03...

intercst

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44368 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/31/2012 5:07 PM
How do you explain Senator Harry Reid (D-NV)? Or is he just one of the uncommon?

Yep. Pretty uncommon:

http://www.pewforum.org/Christian/Mormon/A-Portrait-of-Mormo...

A Portrait of Mormons in the U.S.

Mormons stand out from the general population and other major religious traditions for their conservatism on both cultural and political issues. Strong majorities of Mormons say there are absolute standards of right and wrong and that they feel their values are often threatened by Hollywood. They also are considerably more Republican than any other major religious tradition, including members of evangelical Protestant churches, and tend to take conservative positions on whether abortion should be legal or illegal, whether homosexuality should be accepted or discouraged by society and views of the size and role of government. . .

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44369 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/31/2012 5:35 PM
It's intIeresting to watch my liberal, "multicultural" friends cultivate their religious prejudices on this thread.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44370 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/31/2012 5:39 PM

Actually, all the "lib bashers of Romney" I know of are equal opportunity religion bashers. Most of the people I see bashing particularly on Mormonism (rather than on Romney in general) are conservatives. When I see libs bashing on Romney, it's 80% about his inconsistency, and 18% about his foot-in-mouth disease.

Though the fact that the burning-at-the-stake part hasn't happened in a few hundred years, while the holes-in-the-magic-underwear part is still happening today, seems justification for considering *current* practitioners or Mormonism to be more odd than *current* practitioners of Catholisicm.

Frydaze1

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44371 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/31/2012 6:52 PM
Harry Reid is a MORON...

he isn't smart enough to realize anything

t.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44372 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/31/2012 6:57 PM
"Though the fact that the burning-at-the-stake part hasn't happened in a few hundred years, while the holes-in-the-magic-underwear part is still happening today, seems justification for considering *current* practitioners or Mormonism to be more odd than *current* practitioners of Catholisicm."

I don't know about that, The POpe still declares birth control illegal, immoral and an outrage.

It took 1800 years for the church to finally decide it was wrong on Galileo.

If you ever watch all the silly costumes and parades of the Pope...you know you are watching 1800 year old rituals ...

All them 'saints' and concerns about 'bleeding walls' and jezuus in a pear pit, piece of pizza or whatever.....

holy relics (well, the RC is a relic..).....

sorry,...organized religion is loonie no matter where you look. It's a nice con game to make folks 'feel good' after they are fleeced....People love silly rituals. OW-WA-TA-FOO-LIAM

t.

Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44373 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/31/2012 7:35 PM
People can rationalize walking on water or the night flight by saying that the stories were written a long time ago and were meant to communicate ideas rather than to be interpreted literally. (Of course some people insist on literal interpretation anyway). But you really can't fall back on that argument for Joseph Smith or L. Ron Hubbard. Those guys were recent enough that their cons are well documented.
-------------------------
And yet we have a candidate for President of the US who believes the charlatan. It was only months ago a major fundamentalist Christian leader (Jeffers) called Mormonism a cult. Anyone who knows fundamentalist and evangelical Christians knows they are very anti-cult, anti-other religions. Significantly so. They believe you are going to hEll unless you believe their version of Christianity. Yet inexplicably Jeffers said he would vote for Romney because anyone is better than Obama. The hate for Obama knows no bounds.

Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44375 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 7/31/2012 8:46 PM
goffnoff:
BTW: his idea for the Mormon story came from a Methodist minister he met in Syracuse NY. The minister was too ill to hold a pulpit so he'd written a novel that is essentially the Book of Mormon. The Mormons don't like to talk much about Joe's real history.
-------------------------------
Scroll down on the link below until you see the brown text, ROCHESTER DAILY ADVERTISER AND TELEGRAPH. Vol. VI. Rochester, April 7, 1832. No. 1655.
Is this the story you were talking about? How fascinating!
http://www.sidneyrigdon.com/dbroadhu/NY/miscNYSc.htm
Note 1: The "Doct. Solomon Spalding" mentioned above, as being married at Bennington twp., Genesee (now Wyoming) County, New York, was the author of the unpublished religious novel, "Romance of Celes." The manuscript of that "celestial story" is now on file in the Library of Congress and is cataloged under the name of the better known Solomon Spalding of Ashford (1761-1816)...

The story contains numerous thematic and phraseology parallels to both the Oberlin Spaldingg manuscript and the Book of Mormon."

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44394 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 8/1/2012 12:57 PM
I don't know about that, The POpe still declares birth control illegal, immoral and an outrage.

Yes. But the majority of Catholics aren't clergy, and are actually making birth control choices for themselves (as most of the clergy aren't... or at least shouldn't have need of). And the majority of Catholics don't have a problem with BC.

sorry,...organized religion is loonie no matter where you look.

Don't be sorry. As an atheist I agree with you. But some have smoothed off more of the rough edges in their everyday lives. I still wish they'd all go away. But there are some religions I'd rather be around than others.

Frydaze1

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44398 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 8/1/2012 5:56 PM
If you don't support 100% right to life, totally opposed to abortion, you can't be a good Catholic according to the Pope.

The Catholic Church wisely (or cowardly, depending on your perspective) really doesn't press participants on this. I read a while back that something like 2/3 of American Catholics disagree with the Church's position on abortion, marriage, and divorce.

Were the shrinking Church to really emphasize these points from the pulpit and begin excommunicating people who disagree, the ranks of the RCC faithful in America would soon be all but empty.

BG

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44432 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 8/3/2012 9:11 PM
It took 1800 years for the church to finally decide it was wrong on Galileo.

ROFL! I didn't realize Galileo was around in the year 200 A.D. Tele, I suspect your chronology is a bit off.

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44553 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 8/11/2012 9:59 PM
Now, telegraph bashing Paul Ryan's church (Catholic).

Donna

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44555 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 8/11/2012 10:43 PM
Telegraph, I beg to differ with you. I lived in Lancaster County, PA and there were more than enough social activities around without being Amish or Mennonite. I also lived in the adjacent county to Lancaster County.

I have friends who live near the Amish/Mennonite settlement in Indiana. I can assure you there are plenty of activities in that area without being Amish or Mennonite.

Donna

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 44560 of 58846
Subject: Re: Mormon church exodus Date: 8/12/2012 10:14 AM
"Telegraph, I beg to differ with you. I lived in Lancaster County, PA and there were more than enough social activities around without being Amish or Mennonite. I also lived in the adjacent county to Lancaster County.

I have friends who live near the Amish/Mennonite settlement in Indiana. I can assure you there are plenty of activities in that area without being Amish or Mennonite." Donna

------------------------------

There are a lot of things about the Amish that I admire, including their religion. I wonder if a person was visiting up there in Amish country if it would be possible to attend one of their Church services just to see what it was like?

I like the Amish. They seem like good people to me.

Art

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (41) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement