Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: EthylMercaptan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35953  
Subject: Morrowind Overhaul 3.0 Date: 1/23/2013 8:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
If anyone gets the itch to go back to Morrowind, this compilation mod does a good job scratching that itch. I just did a quick scan of how many different mods went into make this package and I came up with around 200. The nice thing is that comes with auto-install so that it walks you through the process and gets them all in the right order. It is also fairly easy to customize to your taste.

I think a lot of the avid The Elder Scroll gamers regard Morrowind as the quintessential TES game of them all. I wouldn't disagree, as it has a definite soft spot in my heart and I do lament in some of the changes that went into Oblivion and Skyrim(It obviously wasn't enough to keep me from playing either of those games). I never played Daggerfall or Arena, though there are still some people that think Daggerfall was the best TES game ever.

Link to the main website:
http://www.ornitocopter.net/morrowind-overhaul/mgso-release/...

youtube Lets Play that I thought does a decent job showing off the overhaul:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESYIjwZU9J8

C2H5SH
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Wessex99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35046 of 35953
Subject: Re: Morrowind Overhaul 3.0 Date: 1/24/2013 7:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the links. I will download and see how it goes.

Bought Morrowind many years ago, but could not figure out how to fight effectively so was constantly killed and gave up. Tried again about a year ago, and got bogged down with modding. So looking forward to this Overhaul.

Wessex

Author: EthylMercaptan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35050 of 35953
Subject: Re: Morrowind Overhaul 3.0 Date: 1/25/2013 5:14 PM
Bought Morrowind many years ago, but could not figure out how to fight effectively so was constantly killed and gave up.

One thing about Morrowind and Oblivion is the idiotic mechanism for leveling the pc. It was almost imperative to have a high endurance from the start of the game. If you are going to power game it, you want to pick a race that has high endurance(orc, redguard, or male nords), pick endurance as one of class attributes along with strength since half of the strength and endurance values are used to determine starting health. Then try to max out endurance to 100 in as little as time as possible since 10% of the endurance value is added to your health at every level. If you start out with strength and endurance at 30 and then don't raise endurance at all, by level 10 you have health of 57. If you go with say a male nord or redgaurd and then pick endurance and strength as the class abilities to bring those up to 60 each and then raise endurance by 5 points at each level up until you get it to 100. The level 10 pc would have health of 134 according to my calculations, plus it will be going up by 10 pts every level for the rest of the game.

The other thing about Morrowind is that dungeons are not leveled to the player, so it is entirely possible to run across a level 40 mob with a level 1 character. Save often is the only advice that I can give.

C2H5SH

Author: Wessex99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35053 of 35953
Subject: Re: Morrowind Overhaul 3.0 Date: 1/25/2013 7:50 PM
Thanks for the information.

Wessex

Author: EthylMercaptan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35103 of 35953
Subject: Re: Morrowind Overhaul 3.0 Date: 2/12/2013 6:14 PM
Recommendations: 1
I kind of scoffed at the people who say how much better Morrowind is than Oblivion or Skyrim. Now I'm thinking that they are right. If anything the 100% voice acting standard for the latter games is highly over rated. If there are subtitles and voice acting, I probably cut most of the spoken dialogue after I have it read the subtitle. Here is a well put together video on why Morrowind is the apex of the TES series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZUynhkal1I

If anyone is going to Morrowind for the first time or back after a long time, here are my top 10 hints.

1. Thief builds are better than fighters and fighters are better than mages on your first play through.

2. Endurance, agility, and luck are the most important skills for a melee character early in the game.

3. Alchemy is way overpowered in the game. (google:Morrowind Speed Run). There are so many ingredients to make Restore Health potions in the starter area, that it almost impossible to get killed.

4. Conjuration has the best bang for the buck with bound weapons early in the game. Not only do you get to use deadly daedric weapon for a short time, it is also weightless, and it gives +10 skill fortification.

5. Have at least two skills as miscellaneous skills with the same underlying attribute. Example would be to have Light Armor and Marksman as major and minor skills and leaves Stealth and Block as the Miscellaneous. This allows the character to use the trainers to advance agility without increasing levels a bit easier. Since Endurance and Personality only have 3 skills associated with them, I would be reluctant to use any of the underlying skills as a major or minor skill.

6. Regardless of what I said with #5, Speechcraft is valuable early in the game and Mercantile is worthless almost throughout the game.

7. Favorite birthsigns are Thief and Warrior since they give permanent +10 evasion or attack throughout the game at all time, not just once a day when I remember to click on their special ability. I also like the Atronach with 50% spell absorption,however it is a little more difficult to get the magicka pool refilled in Morrowind than Oblvivion or Skyrim.

8. Practice your hand to hand skill on defenseless little old dummer ladies in the privacy of their own home. Most of them don't have any weapons other than their fist, so they can't do any damage until your fatigue drops below zero, unlike mudcrabs. This is what I miss the most in Oblivion and Skyrim.

9. Check everything! Random loot is a lot better in Morrowind than what it was in Oblivion and definitely better than Skyrim. The Overhaul adds to the loot bonanza it seems. Even walking around town in Balmora, you can find nice random starter stuff or just stuff that can be sold off to buy better stuff.

10. Keep a pen and notepad so that you can scribble notes down. This game doesn't have the quest markers like the other two. The journal system is marginal at best. Being able to read, understand, and follow directions is paramount to the game.

I'll just put down one character build down as an example as an easy starter.

Race and Gender: Anything except maybe Altmer(High Elf)

Specialization: Magic or Stealth but not Combat(I like to keep the combat skills as low as possible since all 3 endurance skills are combat related and I try make it as cheap as possible when paying for training.)

Favorite Attributes: Endurance and Luck because it is such a ****! to increase.

Major Skills: Long Blade, Conjuration, Unarmored(carry more loot this way), Speechcraft, and Block.

Minor Skills: Sneak, Mysticism, Alchemy, Athletics, and Acrobatics.

Birthsign: Thief for the +10 evasion.

Once you have the bound long sword spell and any crappy shield, it is fairly resilient character even without any armor other than the shield. Mid or late game it is fairly easy to switch to one of the armor classes as they should all be trained up.

C2H5SH

Author: Wessex99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35104 of 35953
Subject: Re: Morrowind Overhaul 3.0 Date: 2/12/2013 6:45 PM
Thanks for the additional information. I don't think I can play it again though. A brief play immediately told me why I stopped playing more than the frequent deaths. I never played another game that required WASD to move. I'd get used to using WASD instead of arrow keys with practice, but it is painful (much worse now than when I previously tried to play) and I don't see that getting any better.

Shame, because I did so want to play Morrowind through.

Wessex

Author: EthylMercaptan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35106 of 35953
Subject: Re: Morrowind Overhaul 3.0 Date: 2/12/2013 8:17 PM
I never played another game that required WASD to move. I'd get used to using WASD instead of arrow keys with practice, but it is painful (much worse now than when I previously tried to play) and I don't see that getting any better.

Did you try remapping? ESC -> Options -> Controls
Click on the forward and then set your key that you want it bound to. Repeat for the other directions. There are also 8 hotkeys that you can bind to different items, potions, spells, etc.

The last hint is to save often. The game CTD about as much as I remembered from 10 years ago. It also still hangs when I try to exit after about an hour of gameplay, so that I have to ctl+alt+del in order to get it to shut down. That is one item that I have to say about Skyrim is that it is a lot more stable than the two previous games.

C2H5SH

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35108 of 35953
Subject: Re: Morrowind Overhaul 3.0 Date: 2/13/2013 1:24 PM
I definitely will be playing this for the first time in the near future (with Oblivion and Skyrim to follow, though likely not back-to-back-to-back), and have saved some of your detailed and thoughtful posts to refer back to when I do. So thanks!

JT

Author: FordLove Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35110 of 35953
Subject: Re: Morrowind Overhaul 3.0 Date: 2/14/2013 10:43 AM
JT
One thing, the item Star of Azura is almost game breaking. You need to find a wiki to actually find where to get that Daedric quest to aquire it though, so it wont fall into your lap. From what I remember it is way up on a hill.

With that you have a reusable soul gem to use on Golden Saints. Then you can start to enchant items with always on properties. There is a lot of items to wear in Morrowind. Right and left pauldrons. That said, you can't use the enchanting-alchemy feedback like in Skyrim to craft mongo armor and weapons. Don't know if they ever fixed that, towards the end of Skyrim I was little bunny foo foo just bopping all the mice on the head. Even the end bad dragon was a bit of a goof with the ubersword I had.

Should go back in to Skyrim, my 3 year old loves dragons. So I would put on some great defensive gear and then attack the dragon with a feather duster so the fight would last longer. Got it working with Parallels 8 on my Mac, but it looks dingy. I really need to boot over to play it. That can be a pain. (Installed 32 Gig of Ram so I've got plenty of memory to play with)

Ford

Author: Wessex99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35116 of 35953
Subject: Re: Morrowind Overhaul 3.0 Date: 2/14/2013 7:04 PM
Cool. If I knew that before, I had certainly forgotten. Will have to check that out.

Thank you.

Wessex

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement