UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Mortgage calculator Date: 1/22/2009 5:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm trying to figure out what my original mortgage is. The mortgage servicer is as helpful as ever. I have the date of the first payment, the interest rate, the current payment, and current balance. Is there some kind of reverse calculator that would give the original loan amount?

Thanks ~~ Alison, too lazy to get the settlement papers from safekeeping
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 284211 of 308881
Subject: Re: Mortgage calculator Date: 1/22/2009 5:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
The information on my mortgage is online when I go to verify my payment history.

Fuskie
Who figures you are already at the computer...

Author: aj485 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 284212 of 308881
Subject: Re: Mortgage calculator Date: 1/22/2009 6:06 PM
Recommendations: 2
I'm trying to figure out what my original mortgage is. The mortgage servicer is as helpful as ever.

Have you called or looked on their website to and try to get the "original principal balance"? Sometimes it's a terminology issue.

I have the date of the first payment, the interest rate, the current payment, and current balance. Is there some kind of reverse calculator that would give the original loan amount?

Thanks ~~ Alison, too lazy to get the settlement papers from safekeeping

If the mortgage company can't provide the info, I don't know of a reverse calculator, but, if it's a fixed rate mortgage, you could try plugging guesses for the original principal balance into Excel's PMT function, along with the original mortgage term, and the interest rate.

If it's not a fixed rate mortgage, unless you have kept track of every payment and every rate change, it would be a lot easier to get the papers from safekeeping.

AJ

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 284214 of 308881
Subject: Re: Mortgage calculator Date: 1/22/2009 7:55 PM
I'm trying to figure out what my original mortgage is. The mortgage servicer is as helpful as ever. I have the date of the first payment, the interest rate, the current payment, and current balance. Is there some kind of reverse calculator that would give the original loan amount?

http://www.bretwhissel.net/amortization/amortize.html

This calculator works for fixed interest rate loans. I'm assuming by payment amount you are talking just interest and principle, no taxes or insurance.

It will fill in any one block left empty.

You can print an amortization schedule. I use it quite a bit.

Jean

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 284223 of 308881
Subject: Re: Mortgage calculator Date: 1/22/2009 11:48 PM
The information on my mortgage is online when I go to verify my payment history.

Some time ago, I posted about my difficulties with AHMSI (American Home Mortgage Servicing, Inc.) about their cashing my check and then threatening foreclosure proceedings because their system didn't acknowledge the payment.

I trust them even less with the computer.

But thanks!

~~ Alison

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 284224 of 308881
Subject: Re: Mortgage calculator Date: 1/22/2009 11:52 PM
Have you called

I did call (India) trying to get the information, but he couldn't find it, putting me on hold several times while he supposedly checked different screens.

As I replied to Fuskie, I don't trust their computer system.

it's a fixed rate mortgage,

Yup, it's fixed, so I may be able to get the information by trial and error.

into Excel's PMT function

Guess I should figure out how to use Excel <g>.

As always, thanks, AJ!

~~ Alison

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 284225 of 308881
Subject: Re: Mortgage calculator Date: 1/23/2009 12:07 AM
This calculator works for fixed interest rate loans.

Jean, that's absolutely perfect!

I'm assuming by payment amount you are talking just interest and principle, no taxes or insurance.

Yup.

Thanks so much!

~~ Alison

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 284226 of 308881
Subject: Re: Mortgage calculator Date: 1/23/2009 12:17 AM
you're welcome.

Author: crocket838 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 284442 of 308881
Subject: Re: Mortgage calculator Date: 1/28/2009 12:00 PM
A little late, but have you checked on line with your county recorders office?

Crocket

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 284444 of 308881
Subject: Re: Mortgage calculator Date: 1/28/2009 12:37 PM
A little late, but have you checked on line with your county recorders office?

Nope, but the calculator link Jean gave seems to come up with a very reasonable number, given the other variables.

Thanks, Crocket!

~~ Alaison

Author: MFDnNC Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 285073 of 308881
Subject: Re: Mortgage calculator Date: 2/13/2009 4:15 PM
Did you not bother to read

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=27373313

Why would I want a caluclator anymore when I have the internet!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement