Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: upbuffer Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121599  
Subject: Mortgage interest question Date: 3/6/2000 4:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Is there a way to mortgage a home I don't own (with owners permission, of course) so that I can deduct the interest?

Restated: Can you deduct interest you paid on a loan against real estate you don't own?

(Family member has agreed to loan money to me against their house (details too numerous to list) - is the interest deductible?)

Is there a best/alternate way to do this?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31048 of 121599
Subject: Re: Mortgage interest question Date: 3/6/2000 6:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
upbuffer: "Is there a way to mortgage a home I don't own (with owners permission, of course) so that I can deduct the interest?"

I do not think that you can take the mortgage deduction for interest paid when you do not own the house. OTOH, is there any chance that you will be paying investment interest?

"Restated: Can you deduct interest you paid on a loan against real estate you don't own?"

Not as mortgage interest, as I understand the rules.

"(Family member has agreed to loan money to me against their house (details too numerous to list) - is the interest deductible?)"

If family is loaning to you, why would there even be amortgage on his/her/theor house? I believe that you may have skimped on some clarifying details. Also, I beleive that loans between relatives may also have some special rules applicable to them.

I am hopeful that one of the resident pros will chime in.

"Is there a best/alternate way to do this?"

I think that there are too many details missing for anyone to posit much in the way of alternatives.

Probably not much help, but I tried.

Regards, JAFO

Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31054 of 121599
Subject: Re: Mortgage interest question Date: 3/6/2000 8:02 PM
<< Is there a way to mortgage a home I don't own (with owners permission, of course) so that I can deduct the interest?

Restated: Can you deduct interest you paid on a loan against real estate you don't own? >>

To be deductible as mortgage interest on your return, the loan must be secured by your primary or second home. If your relative gets a loan against his home and loans the proceeds to you, he (probably) has a mortgage interest deduction, and he has interest income from you. You, unfortunately, have a nondeductible personal interest payment unless, has already been pointed out, it qualifies as investment interest.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement