UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 31091  
Subject: Mosquitos Date: 8/16/2001 9:54 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Gang, I am having a major problem with mosquitos in our back yard. I mean REALLy bad. I live in Atlanta, and I've lived in Savannah, Ga. so I'm fairly used to some killer mosquitos, but this is ridiculous. We can't even go in our back yard for five minutes. My girls were on the deck for a few minutes and I made them come in. As the Bunny came in, a trail of mosquitos waas flying after her. This is happening at any time during the day. We can't find any standing water other than our pool, which I keep fairly heavily clorinated.
does anyone know of a hopefully inexpensive way of getting rid of them. I know I can buy a fogger, but I really can't afford that.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: phantomdiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4566 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 8/16/2001 10:07 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
does anyone know of a hopefully inexpensive way of getting rid of them.

Short term, didn't somebody say if you kept a birdbath in your yard, insect-eating birds would flock to your house? An old trashcan lid can do the trick. Of course you have to change the water frequently so it doesn't become a breeding ground for more mosquitoes!

Long term and more expensively, how about a bat house? They eat mosquitoes like nobody's business. My in-laws used to enjoy watching them swoop for bugs at dusk.

phantomdiver

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4569 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 8/16/2001 11:17 AM
Short term, didn't somebody say if you kept a birdbath in your yard, insect-eating birds would flock to your house?

I have more birds hanging around my house than I know what to do with. I can count at least 3 families of cardinals, tufted titmouses, chickadees, hummingbirds, woodpeckers, swallows, and a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head. There are simply too many mosquitos. It seems to have gotten worse every year.

Author: phantomdiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4571 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 8/16/2001 11:30 AM
I have more birds hanging around my house than I know what to do with. I can count at least 3 families of cardinals, tufted titmouses, chickadees, hummingbirds, woodpeckers, swallows, and a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head. There are simply too many mosquitos. It seems to have gotten worse every year.

I feel your pain, but not physically, thank God!

I don't know much about birds. Are these birds bug-eaters or seed-eaters?

Anyway, I think bats would help, but that would take a while to get started.

phantomdiver

Author: renyag Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4574 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 8/16/2001 6:43 PM
It seems to have gotten worse every year.

There must be a breeding source somewhere in your area. Skeeters breed in standing water, ah you know, or you can search. In New Jersey in the southwest part where I live, we consider the 'skeeter' a state bird. We have Mosquito Control Agencies in every county. If you have one in Georgia where you live, give them a call. They might help.

titmouses, chickadees, hummingbirds, woodpeckers, swallows

Only the swallows are predators of mosquitoes.

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4575 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 8/16/2001 6:52 PM
In New Jersey in the southwest part where I live, we consider the
'skeeter' a state bird.

Trust me when I say this, Y'all have nothing on the south when it comes to skeeters. Some of those Floridian skeeters will carry off a 40lb. child.

Author: renyag Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4576 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 8/16/2001 6:58 PM
Some of those Floridian skeeters will carry off a 40lb. child.

Well a Jersey skeeter, don't bother to fly off with small children, they just sucks'em dry where ever they finds 'em.

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4577 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 8/16/2001 7:03 PM
Well a Jersey skeeter, don't bother to fly off with small children, they just sucks'em dry where ever they finds 'em.

Okay, you win, but I will say try living down south for a while and see what you say. I've lived up there.

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4578 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 8/16/2001 7:36 PM
In New Jersey in the southwest part where I live, we consider the
'skeeter' a state bird. We have Mosquito Control Agencies in every county. If you have one in Georgia where you live, give them a call.

When I lived in Savannah, one of the governmental agencies used to come out have have the crop dusting planes spray the town.

Author: gayner Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4579 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 8/16/2001 9:12 PM
When I lived in Savannah, one of the governmental agencies used to...

No you need more agressive help than that. In New Jersey, mosquito control commissions do larvacide work, ditching, and responding to public imput. Up here, once the mosquito is on the wing, there's not much to be done, except to smack them when they land. Any attempt to control adult mosquitoes is too toxic to the environment.

Sure hope you find some solution to your evening problem with those bugs.

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4580 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 8/17/2001 1:35 AM
When I lived in Savannah, one of the governmental agencies used to...

No you need more agressive help than that. In New Jersey, mosquito control commissions do larvacide work, ditching, and responding to public imput. Up here, once the mosquito is on the wing, there's not much to be done, except to smack them when they land. Any attempt to control adult mosquitoes is too toxic to the environment.

New Jersey sounds like an absolutely wonderful place to live.

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4581 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 8/17/2001 6:49 AM
Recommendations: 5
“In New Jersey in the southwest part where I live, we consider the
'skeeter' a state bird.”

Trust me when I say this, Y'all have nothing on the south when it comes to skeeters. Some of those Floridian skeeters will carry off a 40lb. child.

Having lived in New Jersey and the deep south as well as a number of other states, I have a fairly extensive experience with skeeters. The worst state for them is Alaska and up in the arctic. The arctic mosquito only bites for 8 or 6 weeks in the summer but she has to get a year's worth of blood in those few weeks. The Alaska mosquito was sooo big that we used to carry shotguns to protect ourselves from them. A little .410 loaded with Number 8 shot was perfect for them. They cooked up real good. Not much meat on the wings but they had six drumsticks. ;-)

C.J.V.

Author: Trini209 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4582 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 8/17/2001 8:48 AM
Recommendations: 2
Believe me, there's standing water somewhere near you. If not on your property, then on a neighbor's. Check window wells. Check your gutters - if they're clogged, they can easily hold standing water. Do you live near a street drain or culvert? Look for low spots in your garden and in your neighbors' land. Has someone got a garbage pail that's left uncovered? (We drill a few drainage holes in the bottom of our garbage cans, and store them on gravel so that no water can collect in them.) Do your neighbors have a fish pond or birdbath that they've neglected?

The county is "micro -spraying" the marsh we live on this year, due, I guess, to the West Nile virus that is definitely present in our area. Once a week, an agent tests the water and counts mosquito larva. If he finds a sufficient number, a helicopter is sent out to spray. The helicopter has come every week but one. It's amazing to watch - he's only a few feet over the vegitation, and it looks like he's at about my eye level. The first time he came, I ran out to wave - I could actually see the pilot clearly. Then I realized that I was being poisoned, so now when I hear him, I run inside and make sure the windows are closed for a while. He's so close it looks like Apocolypse Now. Last year we could hardly use our yard, but this year, we didn't have a problem going outdoors until dusk (until the past week, when we've measured 4 inches of rain over 5 days).

We have a "Mosquito magnet," one of those $1400 machines that you may have seen in catalogs. It definitely helps. I see that this year they have smaller models - one for "only" $350 - and I imagine they would help, too, for a smaller area. The machine burns propane to emit carbon dioxide (that's one of the mechanisms a mosquito uses to find you - by the carbon dioxide you exhale). It also holds a mosquito attractant chemical that you purchase. The mosquitos in your area (supposedly one acre) are attracted to the machine, and then are vaccuumed up into a net bag, where they dry up and die - thousands of them - and you periodically empty the bag. If you're curious, they have a website, which I'm pretty sure is mosquitomagnet.com.

We also set up a large purple martin house, located at the proper height and away from trees, only to find out that there are no purple martins in our immediate area! And we put up a bat house, also carefully situated, and we have no idea if it's occupied, since we've retreated indoors by the time bats come out.

Trini

Author: Trini209 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4584 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 8/17/2001 9:29 AM
Oh, one more thing to look for. Old tires provide a perfect spot for standing water and mosquito breeding. Do you or neighbors have a tire or two behind an old shed - - or even IN an old shed if it has a leaky roof.

Trini

Author: TMFRavynous Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4585 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 8/17/2001 10:23 AM
New Jersey sounds like an absolutely wonderful place to live.

Well, except for the skeeters of course.

Rav
Just couldn't resist.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4586 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 8/17/2001 10:30 AM
"New Jersey sounds like an absolutely wonderful place to live. "

Shush. We are trying to keep that a secret. The biggest problem is that too many people have already figured it out. Its already the state with the highest population density.

Author: wesking Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4588 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 8/17/2001 1:50 PM
"Having lived in New Jersey and the deep south as well as a number of other states, I have a fairly extensive experience with skeeters. The worst state for them is Alaska and up in the arctic. The arctic mosquito only bites for 8 or 6 weeks in the summer but she has to get a year's worth of blood in those few weeks. The Alaska mosquito was sooo big that we used to carry shotguns to protect ourselves from them. A little .410 loaded with Number 8 shot was perfect for them. They cooked up real good. Not much meat on the wings but they had six drumsticks. ;-)

C.J.V."

I heard they would force the deer and other animals in to the lakes trying to get away from the sworms??

I from Atlant (I live in central NC now) and I just got back from NJ. I went to Magnolia and Pleasantvill, NJ. I have been up there working for nearly two yr. but have not incountered the mosquitos ya'll are talking about.

Best thing i have found to keep the things away?? When i was in a ranger company we used to travel to all parts of the US and the best thing we found was to eat match tips. they are loaded down with sulfer and the mosquitos would leave us alone. We trained in Fl., NJ, GA, Canada among other places.

For what its worth. try are bad at my house now. I put up two bat houses last dec. no bats yet but i hope to have some by next yr.

Author: wesking Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4589 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 8/17/2001 1:52 PM
"New Jersey sounds like an absolutely wonderful place to live.

Well, except for the skeeters of course.

Rav
Just couldn't resist."

and all the traffic!!! I think theres ninty billion people there!!! Half of them tried to kill me as i drove around the place.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4591 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 8/17/2001 3:32 PM
"Half of them tried to kill me as i drove around the place. "

Yes, one takes ones life in your hands driving here. Outsiders are advised to remain on the turnpike where they belong (and just keep driving and paying those tolls). There you get to see what you are supposed to see: brown fields, burned out factories, and heavy industry. Directions are provided only for those who have a good reason to leave the Turnpike. The signs are not intended to be helpful. People who get lost may never find their way home.

NJ is a great place to drive though. Just don't try to stop.

Author: TMFRavynous Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4592 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 8/17/2001 4:21 PM
I think theres ninty billion people there!!!

You're just trying to match the skeeter population.

Rav
tres innocente

Author: wesking Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4593 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 8/17/2001 4:40 PM
""Half of them tried to kill me as i drove around the place. "

Yes, one takes ones life in your hands driving here. Outsiders are advised to remain on the turnpike where they belong (and just keep driving and paying those tolls). There you get to see what you are supposed to see: brown fields, burned out factories, and heavy industry. Directions are provided only for those who have a good reason to leave the Turnpike. The signs are not intended to be helpful. People who get lost may never find their way home.

NJ is a great place to drive though. Just don't try to stop."

How many time am i allowed to Recomend this post???

Author: DrBob2 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4598 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 8/18/2001 10:27 AM
<<When I was in a Ranger company we used to travel to all parts of the US, and the best thing we found was to eat match tips. They are loaded down with sulfer and the mosquitos would leave us alone.>>
----------

By the way, eating match tips used to be a classic way to commit sucicide back in the frontier days (especially for women) when things got too rough and much too depressing.

Just another one of those things they seldom cover on "Little House on the Prairie."

Author: wesking Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4599 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 8/18/2001 7:42 PM
<<By the way, eating match tips used to be a classic way to commit sucicide back in the frontier days (especially for women) when things got too rough and much too depressing.>>

We never lost anyone??? Sounds like the above is an "old Wives tell".

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4600 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 8/19/2001 7:09 AM
<<By the way, eating match tips used to be a classic way to commit sucicide back in the frontier days (especially for women) when things got too rough and much too depressing.>>

We never lost anyone??? Sounds like the above is an "old Wives tell".

I believe the old matches contained potassium chlorate, which was a poison. The modern matches do not.

C.J.V.

Author: crobinso Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4612 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 8/20/2001 2:14 PM

Heh. The ones in North Carolina sound like tiny WWII airplanes flying past your ear. Their wings are louder in flight than flies. They are big and black and deadly. They attack you day or night if you're in the woods.

Author: crobinso Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4613 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 8/20/2001 2:18 PM
Having lived in New Jersey and the deep south as well as a number of other states, I have a fairly extensive experience with skeeters. The worst state for them is Alaska and up in the arctic. The arctic mosquito only bites for 8 or 6 weeks in the summer but she has to get a year's worth of blood in those few weeks. The Alaska mosquito was sooo big that we used to carry shotguns to protect ourselves from them. A little .410 loaded with Number 8 shot was perfect for them. They cooked up real good. Not much meat on the wings but they had six drumsticks. ;-)

C.J.V.

THEEEEE WINNNNEEERRRR AAANNNNNDD NNNNEEEWWWWW CCCHHAAMMMPEEEEEEENN!

ROTFL!

Author: crobinso Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4614 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 8/20/2001 2:22 PM
The helicopter has come every week but one... The first time he came, I ran out to wave - I could actually see the pilot clearly. Then I realized that I was being poisoned...

ROTFL!!!

Author: FishInWater One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4704 of 31091
Subject: Re: Mosquitos Date: 9/1/2001 3:29 PM
I found some articles about repelling mosquitoes.

From reading these articles, it seems that DEET based repellent and Citronella candles are your best bet. Getting rid of standing water on your property may not have much effect because mosquitoes can fly several miles.

Mosquitoes have a hard time flying against a breeze, so perhaps placing some fans on your patio might help when you are sitting outside.

The following article is excellent. It gives good advice on repelling mosquitoes, reducing mosquito populations, and treating mosquito bites.

http://www.acponline.org/journals/annals/01jun98/mosquito.htm

Catnip may also be a good mosquito repellent.

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/hsn/20010829/hl/why_happy_cats_don_t_get_bitten_1.html

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement