Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Most discount brokers won't charge you a fee for holding your IRA, especially if the amount in it is over $10000 or so. The "full service" brokers will--plus they will charge a lot more when you make a switch.

The fees charged by the mutual funds also vary a lot. The lowest in Vanguard, but Fidelity and T. Rowe Price are two others with low fees.

You don't say who is the custodian of your IRA, but one of the above three would be a good choice. You could easily move your IRA to one of them--probably the current custodian will charge you $50 or so to close the account. You can talk to your new custodian about whether you can transfer the mutual funds you now own to them or whether you would need to sell them and then get different funds from the new custodian.

Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.