UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Ryan68 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2002  
Subject: Re: So, how about that Date: 9/9/2011 9:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2

Most or all of it, whatever was lost in the recession. And, there was nothing close to that even attempted.

So, if I'm understanding properly, you're saying the entire ~$800 stimulus should have been spent on infrastructure? Federal government spending and deficits were at post-WWII highs, but it wasn't enough?

I don't even think that was (or is) possible to spend all that on infrastructure. They apparently had problems spending what they did authorize.

I would ask how good is a theory (that's not a knock on Keynes the man, who is dead afterall, but rather the modern day proponents of whatever they think he meant) that can't be tried?

And, Keynes would not have approved of tax cuts in a boom. Tax cuts come during the recession.

Like Bush's in 2001?

And, how much of the Obama deficit spending was on the wars he didn't start?

Krugman: "Should disaster aid, as a matter of sound public finance, be offset by immediate cuts in other spending? No. The time-honored principle, backed by economists right and left, is that temporary bursts of spending--which usually arise when there's a war to fight, but can also arise from other causes, including financial crises and natural disasters--are a good reason to run temporary budget deficits."
(NYT's 9/1/2011)

So, he had that spending and the stimulus as part of the theory...and it wasn't enough.

Where was Naj when Bush was doubling spending and cutting taxes?

By 2006 (y'know, the year Obama in the Senate was voting against the debt ceiling increase) the deficit was 1.9% of GDP and, iirc, the CBO was projecting a 10-year $1.7 trillion (or $170 billion per year on average) addition to the debt.

2007 saw the deficit recede further to 1.2%.

Contrast this with Obama's most recent budget, which would add $9.5 trillion over 10 years, and in 2021 (Year 10), the deficit would be 4.9% of GDP. Per CBO...and per memory...so double-check if you wish...

Buffett thinks spending should be 20-21% of GDP, revenue 18-19%, with deficits of around 2%. Well, that's 2006 and 2007 in a nutshell.

Bush was and is blamed for the economic meltdown. I'm sure if things had ended well, Bush would have taken credit. So, of course, he deserves some of the blame.

I just apply that same principal to Obama. If things were going well (and at one point weren't we adding 200k+ jobs a month during Obama's term?) today, he'd be taking credit. It isn't going well. He deserves some of the blame.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Berkshire Beyond Buffett Event
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement