Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 890  
Subject: Re: organic baby products Date: 3/10/2008 1:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Most plastics today, and the invisible coating inside the cans containing canned vegetables, fruits, and soups, contain bisphenol-A, which is a synthetic estrogen and, if it accumulates in animals, humans, shellfish, whatever -- can have hormonally disruptive effects. These plastic items include baby bottles, baby toys, you name it. But there are alternatives emerging.

Here's a website giving information for new parents, with recommendations. I'm pasting in the initial part of the "Recommendations" section, then the link to the whole thing.

Recommendations

Teethers. The Consumer Product Safety Commission has created a Chronic Hazard Advisory Panel, which the agency hopes will report in about a year on the safety of PVC, phthalates, and alternative substances. Meanwhile, we recommend that parents of young children follow the commission's advice to dispose of all PVC teethers and soft toys used by infants "as a precaution," and to replace them with items that are phthalate-free.

To increase your chance of finding phthalate-free items, shop at one of the stores that have pledged to stop selling heavily mouthed baby products with phthalates, including Kmart, Sears, Target, Toys "R" Us, and Wal-Mart.

If you shop elsewhere, avoid using the item until you call the manufacturer's toll-free number you'll find on the product packaging. Return the item to the store if it isn't phthalate-free.

Baby bottles. Just to be safe, to avoid any possible exposure to bisphenol-A we advise parents of young children to dispose of polycarbonate baby bottles and replace them with bottles made of glass or polyethylene, an opaque, less-shiny plastic that does not leach bisphenol-A.

Unfortunately, plastic baby bottles do not explicitly indicate that they're made of polycarbonate. But there are some ways you can tell; see "What to Do," below. Or you could call the manufacturer's toll-free number, listed on the package.

http://www.ecomall.com/greenshopping/consumerbaby.htm

A young scientist/new mother discusses her conflicts, anxieties, choices....http://biology.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pbio.0050200

Here's an article from the Environmental Working Group just written last month discussing the problem, focusing especially on baby bottles.
http://www.ewg.org/node/26004

One thing they note is that "In the United States, Dr. Brown's brand baby bottles had the highest leaching of bisphenol-A whereas Avent had the lowest."

There's a variety of recommendations at the end of the article, plus some additional reading sources.

Another additive to look out for is anything in the paraben family--methylparaben, etc. They're preservatives commonly used in skin care products, and they're also estrogenic. Some companies have begun making products that are paraben-free.

Also.....to add a dose of reassurance....I raised my kids with Huggies and all. Plastic bottles--but we didn't have a dishwasher, so the temperatures weren't hot enough to damage the surface and facilitate leaching. Of course, if all of this information had been available then, my choices would have been different! But my kids (27 and 22) don't seem to have any health problems or abnormalities.

sheila
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement