Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: newsreporter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 23770  
Subject: Motivation & gadgets Date: 1/15/2013 2:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
How do you guys & gals get yourself out the door for a run? I keep telling myself that I will, but never actually do it. Would be happy to hear what is the motivation to get out there and run.

Also, anyone using a "motivational gadget"? Something like Fitbit or Nike+ Fuelband or something else?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23336 of 23770
Subject: Re: Motivation & gadgets Date: 1/15/2013 4:55 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
How do you guys & gals get yourself out the door for a run? I keep telling myself that I will, but never actually do it. Would be happy to hear what is the motivation to get out there and run.

Also, anyone using a "motivational gadget"? Something like Fitbit or Nike+ Fuelband or something else?

Do you mean something to make you want to start running ..... or motivation for your off days?

I think everyone goes through spells when they're not so motivated....unless I'm training for something, I usually give into those feelings as long s it's not too often. Otherwise, I just have to tell myself after the first 5 minutes it'll be good (I'm usually right) and make sure that my stuff's ready to go ahead of time.

I use a Garmin but, as much as it does provide a bit of motivational feedback, I don't think it'd be enough if I really didn't want to run.

Vivienne

Author: pcwa Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23337 of 23770
Subject: Re: Motivation & gadgets Date: 1/15/2013 10:17 AM
Recommendations: 2
motivation for me is signing up for a race and developing a training plan. that plus knowing that there is a whole group of people who will give me $h!t if I don't show up. Running in a group is really helpful to get out the door.

Last year I was in Japan and ran alone for every run. For that, it was the external group motivation (both here and at Daily mile) that got me out the door.

I have a Garmin and it is helpful, but like VeeEnn said, its probably not enough to get me out the door.

ORN: 8 miles today. It was COLD. I had a hat AND gloves AND 2 layers on top, but still shorts :)

Author: SvenHoek Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23340 of 23770
Subject: Re: Motivation & gadgets Date: 1/15/2013 1:33 PM
motivation for me is signing up for a race and developing a training plan. that plus knowing that there is a whole group of people who will give me $h!t if I don't show up. Running in a group is really helpful to get out the door.

Last year I was in Japan and ran alone for every run. For that, it was the external group motivation (both here and at Daily mile) that got me out the door.

I have a Garmin and it is helpful, but like VeeEnn said, its probably not enough to get me out the door.

Signing up for an event is definitely my best motivation. For me though, it's less about the social pressure aspect of it and more about setting a personal goal and striving to meet it. Even if I don't have a specific time goal, or it's an early season race when my fitness isn't great, I still don't want to "waste" the event entry by not giving it everything I've got.

Also, I'm very greedy with my fitness and I always try to keep in mind something that was recently summed up very well by a coach named Joe Friel,

"Fitness is a precious commodity that is more quickly lost than gained. Try not to miss scheduled workouts."

Author: prime13 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23341 of 23770
Subject: Re: Motivation & gadgets Date: 1/15/2013 1:43 PM
I don't have a lot of problems with the motivation for a run. I usually enjoy running and so I don't need races or gadgets to help motivate me. I probably did need some motivation when I first started but now I just enjoy it. Of course there are some days when I don't feel like running and usually I won't run those days. I don't see that as being a big deal.

Author: pcwa Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23342 of 23770
Subject: Re: Motivation & gadgets Date: 1/15/2013 1:53 PM
happy balloons day Prime

Author: RodimusPrime Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23344 of 23770
Subject: Re: Motivation & gadgets Date: 1/15/2013 4:21 PM
Recommendations: 3
Every child loves to run. It's primal. But as we mature in life and become adults, somewhere along the way most of us lose that. I think that everyone has the capability of finding that again if he/she looks hard enough. Everybody is capable of loving to run at least short distances. Never give up looking.

So maybe the easiest way to find what will motivate you to run is to figure out which of life's obstacles got in the way of your innate motivation and then remove those obstacles? For some it might be weight loss, for some it might be free time, for some it might be someone to compete against, and for some it might just be finding an open space. I have a hard time believing that gadgets will have a lasting impact, though, since children love running long before they are introduced to gadgets.

--Rod

Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23345 of 23770
Subject: Re: Motivation & gadgets Date: 1/15/2013 5:23 PM
ORN: 8 miles today. It was COLD. I had a hat AND gloves AND 2 layers on top, but still shorts :)

next time you might want to wear running shorts.

Author: Beerio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23346 of 23770
Subject: Re: Motivation & gadgets Date: 1/16/2013 1:11 PM
Recommendations: 2
What motivation do I use to run on days when I don't really want to? The bathroom mirror....

In all seriousness though, for me it's all about the races I'm signed up for. Without a goal I find it impossible to effectively motivate myself.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23347 of 23770
Subject: Re: Motivation & gadgets Date: 1/16/2013 1:32 PM
What motivation do I use to run on days when I don't really want to? The bathroom mirror....

Say what....vanity!?!

I wouldn't expect anything more froma bloke who falls over and injures himself multiple times (well....twice)

Just sayin'

Vivienne

Author: RunTex Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23348 of 23770
Subject: Re: Motivation & gadgets Date: 1/17/2013 9:55 PM
Could be the other way ..... mirror view is not so great! Go for a run!!

RT

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement