No. of Recommendations: 0
I have had X variable annuity for 6 years. It is currently parked in a value fund that has been doing pretty well. These are "B" shares which I think means that costs are paid up front. I'd say I've gotton 20% gain on my investment over the past six years. The original investment was a roll-over from a 401K. The penalty period (7 years) will be up in 2000. Can I roll it into an IRA? Can I invest in individual stocks within that IRA? Would this make sense money wise? Is conversion to a ROTH a viable alternattive?

I'm 48 and have most of my retirement in this annuity. I have two other very small IRAs sitting in the bank in money market funds and I am currently putting 10% in my current employer's 401K (A T. Rowe mutual fund). I feel I'm missing out on individual stock investment.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.