Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I moved from CA to VA on 11/1/02. I was unemployed from 9/02 through 1/03, and received Unemployment Insurance from CA during that period.

I just finished up my Fed and CA State returns, and in the CA part-year resident state return it asked for the portion of income, interest, and dividends that were earned while in CA, from a CA source (eg CA Gov't), or from earnings while in CA (for int/div). From my interpretation, this would be all my earnings (income while in CA, payments from CA gov't for unemployment, and int/div based on income earned in CA, even though living in VA for last two months).

So, question is, do I need to file a part-year resident tax return in VA?

It's asking the same questions, amount earned while a resident of VA (although apparently not making an exlusion for the amount from another state gov't).

Do I file a return in VA for 0 across the board? Or do I need to tell VA what CA paid me while in VA and apply for a tax credit of some sort (for taxes paid to another state)? Or skip VA all-together?

I realize the knowledge of specific state tax laws may not be as deep as Federal here, but if anyone has thoughts on the generic process of state-to-state moves and taxes owed for partial year residencies..

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.