UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35400  
Subject: Movie: National debt and finances Date: 8/23/2008 1:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I saw a recent news item that leads me to believe a theater movie on the subject of the national debt and finances (weak dollar, etc?) is on the way.

I suppose this in along the lines of "An Inconvenient Truth" and "Who Killed the Electric Car."

Anybody know more about it, please pass the word.

And Michael Moore apparently has one coming on Politics 2008 advising Obama to rely on his gut rather than his not very tuned in advisors.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24412 of 35400
Subject: Re: Movie: National debt and finances Date: 8/23/2008 2:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I'd like for this to be an eye opener about deficit spending and the entitlement train wreck that looms ahead. And about how pretty much all in government, and in both parties, have screwed it up.

But my fear is that it's just going to be a partisan hatchet job one way or another, which is something I'd have no use for.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24413 of 35400
Subject: Re: Movie: National debt and finances Date: 8/23/2008 2:52 PM
Recommendations: 2
The name of the movie is I.O.U.S.A. (cute, huh). Here's alink to IMDB (Internet Movie Database), and the first user comment therein:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0963807/

This documentary is simply outstanding. It has a fast moving pace, covering a tremendous amount of material, without losing a layman's audience. It is educational as well as entertaining. Of course, with the upcoming elections, the timing for the movie couldn't be better. It helps educate voters on one of the most important topics for the upcoming election. At the same time, it is not a partisan movie, and does not lay blame on one party over another. It seems fair in its portrayal of this problem and does not have an ulterior political motive. Finally, it is a great date movie because you will have plenty to discuss afterward.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24414 of 35400
Subject: Re: Movie: National debt and finances Date: 8/23/2008 2:58 PM
IOUSA opened yesterday at selected theaters.

Author: Lokicious Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24415 of 35400
Subject: Re: Movie: National debt and finances Date: 8/23/2008 5:13 PM
Recommendations: 2
Finally, it is a great date movie because you will have plenty to discuss afterward.

I guess dting has changed wince my day. My idea of a great date movie was Zeffereli's Romeo and Juliet: less to discuss, more to imitate (and I don't mean the sword fights or suicide). Same goes for Elvira Madigan.

Author: kentm401 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24416 of 35400
Subject: Re: Movie: National debt and finances Date: 8/24/2008 10:26 AM
"On a Full Sea" [just a partial]

I've been collecting for awhile...

MERCUTIO
No, 'tis not so deep as a well, nor so wide as a
church-door; but 'tis enough,'twill serve: ask for
me to-morrow, and you shall find me a grave man. I
am peppered, I warrant, for this world. A plague o'
both your houses! 'Zounds, a dog, a rat, a mouse, a
cat, to scratch a man to death! a braggart, a
rogue, a villain, that fights by the book of
arithmetic! Why the devil came you between us? I
was hurt under your arm.

ROMEO
I thought all for the best.

MERCUTIO
Help me into some house, Benvolio,
Or I shall faint. A plague o' both your houses!
They have made worms' meat of me: I have it,
And soundly too: your houses!

Steves

“A Man for All Seasons”.

William Roper: So, now you give the Devil the benefit of law!
Sir Thomas More: Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?
William Roper: Yes, I'd cut down every law in England to do that!
Sir Thomas More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!

Qazulight

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement